The Adrian Peterson MEGA Thread (Update: Vikings benched him again)

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
This isn't exactly true. Freedom of Speech is not absolute.......it protects against government reprisal on certain forms of speech. Not everything is protected.
Agreed. But whenever someone gets fired for saying something stupid, people always come out with the 'what happened to freedom of speech' nonsense.

It doesnt protect against your employer, family, the public, etc. Thinking your a fucking moron and treating you as such. Which is why people can and do get fired for for putting insanely stupid things on twitter, facebook, etc.

Reactions: WCL

Monster

Liked Posts:
As I read this thread I realized just how stupid my country had become...
Fuck it.... get drunk and be stupid...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I have Adrian Peterson in my work league.

I sent out the following email today to our members:

I’m putting this child-beater on the trading block.

Sounds like he’ll continue to play, but I can’t root for this guy anymore.

I’m entertaining all reasonable trade offers.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't imagine it's going to be pretty whether he plays at home or on the road. He beat the kid and actually seems somewhat proud of it.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
It's their board, and they can do what they want. Shutting down discussion, even if it offends, is never a course I would take personally.

Especially since message boards are used to facilitate discussions (hence the name). Seems silly to shut down an entire community based on the comments of a few posters (or so it seems from the limited facts I saw).

However, if it's a way to get the Vikings attention to cut him, then I get it. If it's to avoid the view point of a few dumb posters, then that's sad.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
A little thing called Freedom of Speech. I agree with you. They are fucking cowards.

Yeah.....NO. The constitution and it's rights do not govern an Internet MB owned by a corporate entity. Other protocols clearly do.

They took a stand on their position regarding a child-abuser/beater, they are hardly cowards. Just because you don't agree with their stance doesn't make it unconstitutional or cowardly. BTW, I consider your position equally valid, although I obviously feel differently.

As in, I was never beaten and I'm pretty sure I'm not a pussy, and I sure as he'll have never hit one of my kids. Funny thing is, my kids aren't pussies and have never been in trouble in or out of school. Point being, there are other ways to raise, discipline, and support kids.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems kind of silly. I doubt the message board was responsible for the Vikings ever making a dollar and some people will defend Peterson because of the way they were raised (accept the opinion) or because they're trolling (ban them) but taking your ball and going home after 9 years leaves the Vikings and Peterson personally unaffected and will just send Vikings fans discussing the Vikings elsewhere.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
They should obviously be able to shut down the boards if they want. I just can't figure out what they think they accomplished...

Instead of just silencing those who are misguided (or rather turning off your ears in this case), why not...I don't know...talk to them?

And even if you can't get through to them, surely the board is valuable for other types of Vikings talk. I mean, surely it wasn't just an Adrian Peterson Beats His Son message board. It was a Vikings one, right?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Raddison Hotels suspending their sponsorship of the Vikings

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They should obviously be able to shut down the boards if they want. I just can't figure out what they think they accomplished...

Instead of just silencing those who are misguided (or rather turning off your ears in this case), why not...I don't know...talk to them?

And even if you can't get through to them, surely the board is valuable for other types of Vikings talk. I mean, surely it wasn't just an Adrian Peterson Beats His Son message board. It was a Vikings one, right?

People don't even listen to the opinions of those they disagree with, much less take the comments of others to heart and reconsider their own positions. That's how it SHOULD work. That's how it WOULD work if people were reasonable and unemotional.

But in reality, when people argue two sides of a topic, parties don't get closer or convince anyone that their stance is incorrect. Each side just digs in, pulls harder at the tug-of-war rope, and raises their voices to shout the other guy down.

When is the last time you saw anyone come to a point of saying "You know, you've got a point there. I didn't look at it that way." Sadly, it is far more likely to be "You liberal pussies!" or "You right wing nut job!"

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A little thing called Freedom of Speech. I agree with you. They are fucking cowards.

So Goodell apparently hired 4 female prosecutors to look into the recent domestic abuse incidents. My God, now we've got women involved in a man's domain. Just Fucking Great!!!!!!

Goddamn, you're an idiot.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Freedom of speech as a concept predates the US constitution by a couple thousand years. While I've seen enough of Jim Johnson's posts to realize this probably wasn't what he was going at, it does bear mentioning.

In most cases public debate is far better than having rival factions scheming against each other in private, whether you're talking about a country or a community.

Well, shutting down a forum is a form of speech by the owners of the forum....

malcore

Freedom of speech does not come into play on a messageboard. Freedom of the press, maybe. And as they "own the press" in question, they can do what they want with it. It's their freedom.

Foul Phil

CCS Thread Ender
Liked Posts:

It might be hard for some to relate to this but some people live with high moral values. So much so that they will not tolerate others views on what they consider a direct conflict of their own values even if they understand that an online message board allows any Joe Anonymous to post their random/troll/hateful thoughts. They would rather shut the message board down than allow it to be used as a platform used to speak against said values.

I am not one of these high moral characters. My personal life experiences will never allow me to be one but I do respect others that can live like this.

Foul Phil

CCS Thread Ender
Liked Posts:
People don't even listen to the opinions of those they disagree with, much less take the comments of others to heart and reconsider their own positions. That's how it SHOULD work. That's how it WOULD work if people were reasonable and unemotional.

But in reality, when people argue two sides of a topic, parties don't get closer or convince anyone that their stance is incorrect. Each side just digs in, pulls harder at the tug-of-war rope, and raises their voices to shout the other guy down.

When is the last time you saw anyone come to a point of saying "You know, you've got a point there. I didn't look at it that way." Sadly, it is far more likely to be "You liberal pussies!" or "You right wing nut job!"

When I encounter people like this I simply ignore them and walk away. Conversations with these people are complete waste of time for everyone involved.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love the bears to death, but I honestly think we have the dumbest fan base in the NFL.

I know a few Cowboy fans that would change your mind real fast...

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

It depends on presentation. If you are looking to argue with someone, the other person will always dig in. If you present your ideas in the form of a discussion, and you yourself are willing to listen to the other side's thoughts, then a lot more honest discourse takes place. It's a lot harder to do the above on a message board, and any other online forum, FWIW.