The beginning of the.....The beginning

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Very happy he is staying, but hopefully we can find a spot for Hendricks the rest of the season. Definitely curious to see what he can become, and he has the most potential out of any of the other pitchers in the Cubs system near the majors at this point.

Hendricks will definitely be back. him being sent down was basically to keep him in his normal rotation and get a start in Iowa Tuesday while MLB is on AS break.
his next start after Tuesday will be sunday for cubs at braves.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
alcantara is going to be an everyday player no matter what position its at CF or 2B..

where he plays the majority of time at least for this year will depend on what they do with barney and if baez and Bryant are called up.

but I think what Dabs and Silence are saying is..
Alcantara being able to play CF and 2B is a good thing because he can start at either spot when needed to give the other person a day off or if he gets banged up.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
alcantara is going to be an everyday player no matter what position its at CF or 2B..

where he plays the majority of time at least for this year will depend on what they do with barney and if baez and Bryant are called up.

but I think what Dabs and Silence are saying is..
Alcantara being able to play CF and 2B is a good thing because he can start at either spot when needed to give the other person a day off or if he gets banged up.

With him staying now, we'll probably see him play CF a little as well. If he looks good in CF as well, then there's credence to what your saying. I think the opposing view is that it would be better seeing him play a great 2B rather than a mediocre CF.

However, he definitely looks like he'll play one or the other. He looks more than a utility guy to me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With him staying now, we'll probably see him play CF a little as well. If he looks good in CF as well, then there's credence to what your saying. I think the opposing view is that it would be better seeing him play a great 2B rather than a mediocre CF.

However, he definitely looks like he'll play one or the other. He looks more than a utility guy to me.

he could very easily continue to play 2B everyday, I just think unless they trade barney that barney will continue to start there as long as he gives them a little offense as he doing now, alcantara will get the majority of his PT in CF for the remainder of this year.

now next year, its all going to determine on where they play baez and Bryant..
don't even want to begin to think about what their going to do once Russell is ready

TL1961

Liked Posts:
he could very easily continue to play 2B everyday, I just think unless they trade barney that barney will continue to start there as long as he gives them a little offense as he doing now, alcantara will get the majority of his PT in CF for the remainder of this year.

now next year, its all going to determine on where they play baez and Bryant..
don't even want to begin to think about what their going to do once Russell is ready

Yes we do! :)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

All the reports on Alcantara have been positive so far in CF. I quoted one of the Iowa beat guys saying he has looked like a natural out there. And as we saw so far Alcantara has way more of an arm than Juan Pierre or Kenny Lofton did.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't need to see Barney or Sherholtz ever again.

He can take their at bats and playing time.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
It would be more beneficial to the 2014 Cubs if Alcantara is playing everyday at 2B. It will be better for the 2015-202? Cubs if Alcantara is playing CF

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For now they should be showcasing Barney. He has some value. Schierholtz is hitting .204. Not the same guy as last year.

Should have sold him when his value was peaking.

Now after 2B clears I would promote Baez. Get the ball rolling. If they can sell Valbuena then promote Bryant.

They need to get the core playing some games this year so they can look at making some deals to add vets in the OF corners for next year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm not one in favor of him being there so take this comment with a grain of salt. I don't think so this year. For one, he's really not worked there much. It's one thing moving from SS to 2B or SS to 3B but it's entirely another moving from infield to OF. Additionally, they currently have 6 OFs at MLB/DL with Lake, Schierholtz, Sweeney, Coghlan, Ruggiano and Bonifacio on the DL. Not saying any of those guys are amazing and will hold up a top prospect long term but you still have them for the rest of the year unless you clear room some how. They can send Lake down and arguably should but that then means you still have 5 guys once Bonfiaco returns. Given his injury typically is 4-6 weeks and he's already a month in you're likely going to see him return shortly after the all-star break which sort of works well.

Now you can obviously open up slots via DFA(doubtful given they are already on the hook for money and aren't competing) and trades but trades are harder to pull of. Schierholtz didn't get traded last year when he was having a much better year. So, unless he's a throw in as part of a bigger deal I'd be surprised to see him moved. Boniifacio really wont have enough time back before the deadline to really entice people. Ruggiano and Coghlan arguably should be starting. Sweeney isn't really a trade asset. On the other hand, Valbeuna is arguably one of the top 2B/3B assets on the market. Additionally, 2B in general is very weak among competing teams so it's possible Barney might be a trade asset too. I'd throw Bonifacio in there as well had he not been out for so long given he has history at 2B and is an inexpensive option.

To me, if they want Alcantara in CF long term they will give him the off season to get used to it. Additionally, I'm not in favor of calling a player up and then asking to do something he's really not done much in playing OF. He's got enough to worry about adjust from minor league pitching to major league pitching. That really should be the focus for now rather than giving him something else to worry about in positions.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barney's value is his defense which does not need to be showcased.

His brutal bat probably only hurts his trade value.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I'm not one in favor of him being there so take this comment with a grain of salt. I don't think so this year. For one, he's really not worked there much. It's one thing moving from SS to 2B or SS to 3B but it's entirely another moving from infield to OF. Additionally, they currently have 6 OFs at MLB/DL with Lake, Schierholtz, Sweeney, Coghlan, Ruggiano and Bonifacio on the DL. Not saying any of those guys are amazing and will hold up a top prospect long term but you still have them for the rest of the year unless you clear room some how. They can send Lake down and arguably should but that then means you still have 5 guys once Bonfiaco returns. Given his injury typically is 4-6 weeks and he's already a month in you're likely going to see him return shortly after the all-star break which sort of works well.

Now you can obviously open up slots via DFA(doubtful given they are already on the hook for money and aren't competing) and trades but trades are harder to pull of. Schierholtz didn't get traded last year when he was having a much better year. So, unless he's a throw in as part of a bigger deal I'd be surprised to see him moved. Boniifacio really wont have enough time back before the deadline to really entice people. Ruggiano and Coghlan arguably should be starting. Sweeney isn't really a trade asset. On the other hand, Valbeuna is arguably one of the top 2B/3B assets on the market. Additionally, 2B in general is very weak among competing teams so it's possible Barney might be a trade asset too. I'd throw Bonifacio in there as well had he not been out for so long given he has history at 2B and is an inexpensive option.

To me, if they want Alcantara in CF long term they will give him the off season to get used to it. Additionally, I'm not in favor of calling a player up and then asking to do something he's really not done much in playing OF. He's got enough to worry about adjust from minor league pitching to major league pitching. That really should be the focus for now rather than giving him something else to worry about in positions.

Couple points to add ..... it does makes sense to showcase Barney in the short term as another pointed out. I, personally, won't comment until I see him play CF. I will add though.... you mentioned it was harder ... it is generally easier to shift from IF to OF cuz of the positioning, cutoffs, base coverage, and, of course, fielding a hot ground ball.

However, it's probably a lot harder in Wrigley, imo, as the day games can make a huge difference. At least, when I played outfield, it was very different playing OF in the daylight as opposed to under the lights.

It's especially hard to judge the line drives hit right at you when you're not used to the depth perception of the light. Just a little something I wanted to add from experience.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

To answer that part I'll tak the word of a SP who worked with him all year:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/ar...tebook_id=83920486&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

CINCINNATI -- Cubs manager Rick Renteria didn't waste any time getting Arismendy Alcantara in the lineup. The second baseman, called up from Triple-A Iowa while Darwin Barney is on paternity leave, was in the starting lineup Wednesday and batted second.

And he was very excited to be with the big league team. Alcantara went 0-for-4 in the Reds' 4-1 victory, but picked up an assist when he threw out Ramon Santiago, trying to extend a double to a triple, at third base in the second inning.

"It means a lot," Alcantara said before the game. "One of my dreams is to be in the big leagues and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. I'm just going to try to do my job. ... If I do good, they can bring me back."

Barney was expected back Friday. He flew to Chicago early Wednesday to be with wife, Lindsay, for the birth of their third child.

"He should be in there," Cubs manager Rick Renteria said of Alcantara, 22, who was batting .308 with 10 home runs, 24 doubles, 11 triples and 21 stolen bases in 88 games at Iowa. "Hopefully, he's able to enjoy it and be himself. He's been doing very well this season and hopefully he feels comfortable with his teammates here."

Alcantara was in big league camp this spring and benefited from the experience.

"Being around the veteran guys, they can talk to you and give you something and explain it to you better," he said.

Kyle Hendricks, who will make his Major League debut on Thursday in the Cubs' series finale against the Reds, flew with Alcantara from Omaha on Wednesday. Alcantara has played second, shortstop and center field. What was Hendricks' scouting report?

"He can play any of them," Hendricks said. "His arm is so good and he put in a lot of work and it didn't take long for him to look natural out there [in center]. He runs down balls and has great speed. he's definitely a natural out there."

And he's got more power than people might think looking at Alcantara's 5-foot 10-inch, 170-pound frame.

"He's right up there with [Javier] Baez and [Kris] Bryant as far as pop," Hendricks said.

Where would Alcantara like to play?

"Everywhere -- short, second base, outfield, everywhere," he said. "I just want to see my name in the lineup."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think you are worrying about nothing. Seems like Alcantara is talented enough to play anywhere it is needed.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think you are worrying about nothing. Seems like Alcantara is talented enough to play anywhere it is needed.

Agreed. People need to remember he started off at SS. And there are 30 hall of famers who played SS in the minors and played something else entirely in the majors. Not saying he is a HOF'er, just saying....

Positions for people who played SS are meaningless because they could play anywhere. All that matters now is who can hit and get on base and show some power as well.

After that it will sort itself out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agreed. People need to remember he started off at SS. And there are 30 hall of famers who played SS in the minors and played something else entirely in the majors. Not saying he is a HOF'er, just saying....

Positions for people who played SS are meaningless because they could play anywhere. All that matters now is who can hit and get on base and show some power as well.

After that it will sort itself out.

Comp I heard on him is Jose Reyes like talent. I'll take it.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
"He's right up there with [Javier] Baez and [Kris] Bryant as far as pop," Hendricks said.

That seems a little excessive, but he definitely proved he has some today when he hit the double off the wall. Alcantara definitely has the most prospect the Cubs have called up since Rizzo

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Silence, you keep bringing that up. Versatility is not a bad thing. A player not settling into one position is. Maybe "bad thing" is not accurate. But, bottom line, a player moving all around is a lesser player, not a star. Ranked as #18 overall prospect, I am hoping for, and expecting, much much more than a "sub".

I can not understand why you have relegated him to "fill in" status or as you call it "super sub".

I am hoping he is way too good for that, and in two games, I like what I see.

If he plays regularly at one position, and can move to another if a need arises - late inning switch, injury, etc. - that can be very valuable. If you're talking about a one day move here and there - ala Allen Craig, for example. But to picture him at 2nd two days, in CF two days, etc. just doesn't sound good for any player, and especially not a rookie getting acclimated.

I can't think of any player considered an average or above average starter in MLB who plays multiple positions regularly. And we don't need a guy trying to learn two positions defensively. We need a strong D. That is too often our weakest area. We don't need to try to "get by" with a guy moving all around. The kid can be a stud. Let's give him the best possible chance to succeed.
Not that I'm disagreeing with your premise, but hasn't Zobrist done this for Tampa bay in the past?

---> Sent from above.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe he will move around as prospects come up.

Right now you have to look at who they have and who is close to promotion.

You have Castro and Rizzo that are long term. So 1B and SS are locked for now.

Baez and Bryant should be on the team at latest spring training.

Bryant is a 3B and Baez is blocked at SS. Neither have played off position with the Cubs.
But Bryant has played RF and Baez has played 2B in the past.

Now lets go with that direction for a second: Baez at 2B and Bryant at RF.
That pushes Alcantara out of 2B and into CF. Almora should be in AA next year so Alcantara has 2 years to patrol CF.
Bryant in RF: Soler would be in AAA. Right now he is on fire .405/.476/.865 3 HR 12 RBI's. This is the first time he has looked good sense low A ball.
Key stats: 37 AB: 5 BB 8 SO's. He has a very good idea what he is doing at the plate. He is a true 5 tool player.

Looking at it that way they could push Bryant to RF for a year while letting Olt and Valbuena carry over or they could keep Bryant at 3B and dump the 2 and sign a RF to a 1 year deal and promote Soler after the ASG.

Tough call. Sucks to have too much talent..... J/K. That doesn't even get into Addison Russell. I'm under the opinion it will be either Russell or Castro traded next year. Either they pack up Russell to get a top of the rotation or they trade Castro for pitching.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I believe he will move around as prospects come up.

Right now you have to look at who they have and who is close to promotion.

You have Castro and Rizzo that are long term. So 1B and SS are locked for now.

Baez and Bryant should be on the team at latest spring training.

Bryant is a 3B and Baez is blocked at SS. Neither have played off position with the Cubs.
But Bryant has played RF and Baez has played 2B in the past.

Now lets go with that direction for a second: Baez at 2B and Bryant at RF.
That pushes Alcantara out of 2B and into CF. Almora should be in AA next year so Alcantara has 2 years to patrol CF.
Bryant in RF: Soler would be in AAA. Right now he is on fire .405/.476/.865 3 HR 12 RBI's. This is the first time he has looked good sense low A ball.
Key stats: 37 AB: 5 BB 8 SO's. He has a very good idea what he is doing at the plate. He is a true 5 tool player.

Looking at it that way they could push Bryant to RF for a year while letting Olt and Valbuena carry over or they could keep Bryant at 3B and dump the 2 and sign a RF to a 1 year deal and promote Soler after the ASG.

Tough call. Sucks to have too much talent..... J/K. That doesn't even get into Addison Russell. I'm under the opinion it will be either Russell or Castro traded next year. Either they pack up Russell to get a top of the rotation or they trade Castro for pitching.
I wouldn't be so fast to move Bryant to RF right away. Scouts keep reporting on him that his defense is improving a lot and he has Rolen glove potential there. Have to see how he pans out at third first before even thinking about RF.

And it is exciting to see Soler healthy and hitting. He could be the best pure hitter we have, which is just friggin scary!