The beginning of the.....The beginning

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You don't happen to be related to Alcantara, do you...? ;)

If he wants to adopt me I'd let him. There were questions about his ability to be decent at 2B so I figured some might find that interesting.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I thought the questions were if he would be decent in CF.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
If he wants to adopt me I'd let him. There were questions about his ability to be decent at 2B so I figured some might find that interesting.

No, of course... just teasing... you just seem to go the extra mile when praising/defending him... it's inspiring...

I realize that sounds sarcastic, but I assure you it isn't...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No, of course... just teasing... you just seem to go the extra mile when praising/defending him... it's inspiring...

I realize that sounds sarcastic, but I assure you it isn't...

No offense taken I knew it was in good fun. Honestly, I was as curious as anyone about him defensively overall. My thoughts were he could be a plus defender at 2B and I'm obviously unsure about him in CF. That's why I looked up the numbers. Perhaps it's still a bit premature to make a judgement but at the very least its good to see a strong start.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Sure, we have a ton of power coming up, but we still need pitching. Remember in 2004? We had crazy power. Alou 39 HR's, Rami 36 HR's, Sosa 35 HR's, and DLee had like 32 HR's..... We still didn't make the playoffs.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Can buy pitching though. Not a lot of elite offensive guys hit the market anymore.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can buy pitching though. Not a lot of elite offensive guys hit the market anymore.

This is the rationale and I cannot argue.

When was the last time and elite hitter in his prime really hit the market? Fielder and he got 200 million. Pitchers seem to come available far more often.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I wasn't able to watch the game... how did Mendy look in center?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Emilio Bonifacio went 3-for-4 with three singles as the designated hitter in his rehab debut with the Arizona League Cubs, the organization's Rookie-level affiliate.

Bonifacio sustained a right oblique strain on June 12. Manger Rick Renteria said they are not rushing Bonifacio back, given the nature of his injury.

"That's something that we need to make sure that we're mindful of, because those types of injuries can be chronic over the long haul, can re-occur," Renteria said. "We're going to take it as slowly as we have to or as quickly as we have to; it just depends on how he's moving along."

Bonifacio is currently on the 15-day disabled list, and he has up to 20 days to work his way back onto the Major League roster.

"We'll just see where he's at on a daily basis and see how he's progressing and if he's pain free or if his strength is good, get him back into baseball fitness shape. There are a lot of factors. Thankfully, he's moving along fine.

Bonifacio, 29, hit leadoff for the Cubs in 56 of 61 games this year. He's compiled a .310 on-base percentage and batted .266 with a homer, 16 RBIs and 14 extra-base hits. He primarily played center field, but he also saw action at second base in 22 games.

It would be interesting to run Alcantara at 2B and Bonifacio in CF the rest of the way.

I'm expecting Lake gone.and Barney traded.

That would set the line up as
CF Bonifacio
2B Alcantara
1B Rizzo
SS Castro
3B Valbuena
RF Ruggiano
LF Coghland
C Castillo

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- The chatter surrounding Cubs callup Arismendy Alcantara continued Saturday after the 22-year-old shifted from second base to center field and scored two runs while going 2-for-5 in the Cubs' 11-6 loss to the Braves.

"It's awesome, something special to me," he said afterward. "This has been my dream. It's something I can't explain to you. It's something you're looking for."

After the game, the Cubs held their stance of not confirming the status of the talented rookie, in terms of whether he'll be sent back to Triple-A Iowa after the All-Star break to make room for more starting pitchers. Manager Rick Renteria wouldn't even confirm if Alcantara would be in the lineup in Sunday's series finale.

But that doesn't change Alcantara's belief that he's prepared to remain at the big league level.

"I feel I'm ready," said Alcantara, who is 7-for-18 with three RBIs through his first four Major League games. "I just try to do the same things every day. Just try to do my job."

After scoring the game-winning run in the Cubs' walk-off win on Friday, Alcantara led off Saturday's game with a double, then scored on an RBI liner to left by Justin Ruggiano. He crossed the plate again on a wild pitch in the fifth after singling to lead off the frame.

Alcantara also showed no struggles in adjusting to center field, despite 15-mile-per-hour-plus winds at Wrigley Field. Nine balls were hit his way on Friday, all of which he fielded with ease.

"He looked very smooth," Renteria said. "He's obviously an athlete, obviously has a feel, and [it] looks like reaction and routes, at least for this day, were good. Very composed. He gets there and he's got a good arm."

In his six-year Minor League career, Alcantara played across the infield with the exception of first base. He took the outfield for the first time just this year in 11 games with Iowa.

So which does he prefer -- second or center?

"It doesn't matter," Alcantara said. "I just want to be in the lineup."

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I'll tell you what I saw .... the last few days he's been a nice left hand hitter with pop, that played a great 2B, and ran the bases well.

Today, he played CF, batted right handed, and went 2-5, with 2 runs scored, with a couple outs that were on a line. Oh, and he lead off....... Have I told you guys that I like this kid yet?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/

CHICAGO -- The best new storyline to a dismal Chicago Cubs season showed no signs of slowing down on Saturday in the team’s 11-6 loss to the Atlanta Braves. Arismendy Alcantara played a flawless center field -- just his 12th time playing there this season and first in the big leagues -- while collecting two more hits and scoring two runs.

"He looked very smooth," manager Rick Renteria said after the game about Alcantara’s defense. "He looked exactly the way he did [shagging fly balls] in batting practice the other day. He’s obviously an athlete, has a feel, looks like his reaction and routes were good. And he has a good arm."

mlb_u_alcantara11_200x300.jpg

Alcantara's satisfactory play in center field is part of what must give the Cubs pause about shuttling him back to the minors.
Alcantara went to his left and his right with ease while a gusting wind out to center kept things interesting. He made four putouts on the afternoon, begging the question which position he would like to play.

"It doesn’t matter," Alcantara said. "I just want to be in the lineup that day. I just want to play the game."

Undoubtedly, he would be more comfortable in the infield, where he’s played shortstop and second base in the minors. Renteria wouldn’t publicly commit to Alcantara starting on Sunday, but it would be a shock if the player with seven hits in his first 18 at-bats (.389) isn’t in the lineup the day before the All-Star break begins. He’s scored five runs in his first four games, setting the table at the top of the lineup, as he did with a leadoff double on Saturday. That was long before the game got out of hand.

"It’s something special for me," Alcantara said of being in the big leagues. "I can’t explain it to you."

So, will he stay with the Cubs after the break? That’s all anyone wants to know.

"We’ll have conversations," Renteria said before the game. "I can’t tell you when, but I’m sure we’ll have conversations."

The Cubs have several options. The simplest one might be to send a pitcher down to the minors, as they’ve carried 13 for much of the season. With the All-Star break, their relief corps will be well rested, and the need to baby arms after the four-day break might not be as necessary right away. By the time it does, the trade deadline will be upon us and the Cubs will undoubtedly make a move or two with a position player. That would open the spot for Alcantara to stay.

If the Cubs need to play Emilio Bonifacio to show teams he’s healthy when he returns, or even Darwin Barney to show them he’s still viable, then so be it. Nothing is written that Alcantara has to start every day -- as much as anyone watching the Cubs wants it.

"When we get together as an organization and discuss those things, we have to take in a lot of factors," Renteria said. "We’ll come to a good conclusion, sound decision. That’s best for us as a club and best for the organization."

Or the Cubs could send Junior Lake or Mike Olt down to the minors in light of their struggles. Or maybe the Cubs will make a deal during the break. The front office has stated on many occasions that once the Cubs promote, they don’t want to go backward. After changing their minds about Alcantara going back to the minors when Barney came off paternity leave, the writing should be on the wall. Keep him.

"Whatever they want me to," Alcantara said. "I don’t expect that [staying]. I just try to play good baseball."

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alcantara being sent back to the minors for any of the bum veterans we have in positions he could play would be upsetting to me.

The point of being bad is to get these young guys time.

Not to see garbage veterans Barney, Jackson, Villenuava, Scherholtz get time, because simply put it is a total waste for the future.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Demote Lake

Bench Barney

Bench Ruggiano

All of these are fine because none of these guys are in the long term plans. We need playing time, while the Cubs are bad, for these young guys to go through their growing pains.

Lake is a young guy. Does he not get to experience growing pains like the others?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Lake is a young guy. Does he not get to experience growing pains like the others?

Lake needs to learn how to not swing at pitches outside the strike zone. He might get a little more instruction in AAA than he would at the major league level.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake problems are deeper then people are saying. This has been his MO his whole minor league career. He can look like a superstar and then turn around and look like he has never been on a baseball diamond. Lake is all tools that hasnt been refined. Could it one day all click, yes, highly highly unlikely though. He doesnt have the pitch recognition that you need to play in the majors. He has made 0 adjustments and the league will eat you alive when that happens.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake needs to learn how to not swing at pitches outside the strike zone. He might get a little more instruction in AAA than he would at the major league level.

He needs to learn how to hit the ball. Literally. He has the lowest contact rate and highest swinging strike rate out of anyone in baseball with at least 250 PAs.