The Crappy Bears QB you hyped up the most discussion

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Same odds as the Bulls winning the draft lottery for Rose right?

So you're saying a Bears QB breaks the 4,000 yard mark this season?!

Bort

Liked Posts:
Does anyone else remember the Detroit game Cade McNown's rookie year? In his 4th career start, McNown went 27-36 for 301 yards with 4 TD and 2 INT. Pretty much everyone was on the McNown hype train after that. It got derailed pretty quickly, though....

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does anyone else remember the Detroit game Cade McNown's rookie year? In his 4th career start, McNown went 27-36 for 301 yards with 4 TD and 2 INT. Pretty much everyone was on the McNown hype train after that. It got derailed pretty quickly, though....

I distinctly remember that game. McNown was spamming deep passes to Marcus Robinson all day.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Same odds as the Bulls winning the draft lottery for Rose right?

So you're saying a Bears QB breaks the 4,000 yard mark this season?!

Maybe if I were a terrible gambler..... We're due!

Nonetheless, the streak will probably come to an end soon due to the fact that nowadays any jackass with a functioning arm can get a 4000+ yard passing season. 12 different quarterbacks threw for 4000+ yards last season alone (and Derek Carr just missed with 3,987).

Bort

Liked Posts:
I distinctly remember that game. McNown was spamming deep passes to Marcus Robinson all day.

Just like any good Madden player would.... Relatedly, the following year was the year that Cade McNown was one of the best quarterbacks in the entire NFL on Madden (while being one of the worst quarterbacks in the entire NFL in real life).

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I seriously don't know how people could have been tricked into thinking Hanie was a good QB.

Thinking he would be a capable backup and thinking he was a good QB are pretty different things. Quite a few of us believed he could do enough to win the games and get the Bears into the playoffs. That's the hype that was bought into.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Henry Burress was the next Bears GOAT to me. I was very young at the time (maybe 13?) and I just saw how far he could toss the ball downfield and that's all it took to get me pissed when we benched him after a couple of quarters

Jaroun tossed Burris out there without any preparation. To his credit, he went on to have a exemplary career in Canada.

JPPT1974

May Day and Spring Fever!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Cincinnati Reds
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Oklahoma City Thunder
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. Washington Capitals
  1. Howard Bison
You can't blame it all on Jay Cutler. As really you win as a team you lose as a team.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Vince Evans...don't know if he was mentioned because I don't care enough to read the entire thread.....

in 1980 he ran for 8 TDs and threw for 11......he was fun to watch on the field as long as he didn't try and throw the ball too often. He went 5-5 that year as a starter and I thought "hey a Bears QB with a non-losing record"....it was certainly better than watching the human train wreck of Mike Phipps.....if you thought Cutler had a fumble problem, Phipps averaged 1 fumble lost every game in 1980....

When Evans was throwing to James Scott deep, we had explosiveness on "O". Then they let Scott go to Canada. At that point we had a 1-armed Brian Bashnagel and
Ricky " stone hands" Watts at wr.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well the issue is Flutie's time was short/controversial in some ways was he really "hyped"? The narrative surrounding Flutie even in retrospect was that he was "Ditka's guy", an outsider etc. Just based on what I recall/read I don't remember there being a ton of hype or excitement over him being the possible long term solution at the position. Everyone was just wanting to get McMahon back on the field in '87

I've always liked Flutie ( he got the shaft in Buffalo), but they team was against him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You can't blame it all on Jay Cutler. As really you win as a team you lose as a team.

A Qb who's a winner ( with leadership), makes those around him better & brings a team up to another level. Would u like a current short list of Qb's who fit this mold? jay doesn't fit

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yeah. I was on the McNown's bandwagon after following him at UCLA. I was happy when the Bear's drafted him. I still think that the shoulder injury he suffered had a lot to do with ending his short career.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah. I was on the McNown's bandwagon after following him at UCLA. I was happy when the Bear's drafted him. I still think that the shoulder injury he suffered had a lot to do with ending his short career.

It wasn't his shoulder so much as even when he was 100% healthy the entire team basically hated him. There was practically a mutiny in 2000 in regards to him being the QB. The shoulder injury basically prevented him from hanging around a roster but McNown had major attitude and commitment issues that would have never allowed him to become anything more than a roster body.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Thinking he would be a capable backup and thinking he was a good QB are pretty different things. Quite a few of us believed he could do enough to win the games and get the Bears into the playoffs. That's the hype that was bought into.

Yeah and then everyone remembered how good and valuable cutler is..

Then pickles played last year and everyone remembered how good and valuable cutl..

Oh wait.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It wasn't his shoulder so much as even when he was 100% healthy the entire team basically hated him. There was practically a mutiny in 2000 in regards to him being the QB. The shoulder injury basically prevented him from hanging around a roster but McNown had major attitude and commitment issues that would have never allowed him to become anything more than a roster body.

Cade was 1 of those guys who topped out in college. IMO. He never really improved in da NFL.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Yep, the pick they gave up for him ended up being #11 overall. The two guys taken at #12 and #13 in that draft....Warrick Dunn and Tony Gonzalez. The Bears used their first pick in that draft(2nd Round) on John Allred, TE, USC.....:obama:

A John Allred reference requires an obligatory "Hey, remember when he got knocked out cold by his brother in law, John Lynch?"

I remember someone writing a story near the end of the 2001 regular season that said the biggest move the team made during that entire offseason was letting McNown go, and getting that cancer out of the locker room was perhaps the biggest reason for that ridiculous turnaround.

As for the original topic ... it's hard to pick just one because the majority of these god-awful replacement QBs were during the time when I was young and dumb enough to believe that, in spite of the failures of the first dozen players, this guy was going to be the one that would work out. I was real high on Jim Miller when he had back-to-back 300+ games in '99. Chad Hutchinson beat the Vikings (I think) in a game I attended and that made me think he was going to be good. I was like the person who approaches every date thinking this person will be "the one" only to be let down every. fucking. time.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A John Allred reference requires an obligatory "Hey, remember when he got knocked out cold by his brother in law, John Lynch?"

I remember someone writing a story near the end of the 2001 regular season that said the biggest move the team made during that entire offseason was letting McNown go, and getting that cancer out of the locker room was perhaps the biggest reason for that ridiculous turnaround.

As for the original topic ... it's hard to pick just one because the majority of these god-awful replacement QBs were during the time when I was young and dumb enough to believe that, in spite of the failures of the first dozen players, this guy was going to be the one that would work out. I was real high on Jim Miller when he had back-to-back 300+ games in '99. Chad Hutchinson beat the Vikings (I think) in a game I attended and that made me think he was going to be good. I was like the person who approaches every date thinking this person will be "the one" only to be let down every. fucking. time.
Hutchinson is a pretty good mention. That Vikings game was out of nowhere and I remember heading into 2005 it was supposed to be Hutch vs Grossman for the starting spot, at the very least Hutch was supposed to be a high end backup. IIRC Hutch was so bad after a preseason game or two that he was cut.