The Crappy Bears QB you hyped up the most discussion

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Gary Huff. I thought he'd be the answer. For everyone who thinks Burris/Krenzel/Quinn/Hutchinson/McCown and the rest of them was bad, the quarterbacking of Huff/Douglass/Nix/Concannon was right there with the worst.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
After watching Bob Avellini and Mike Phipps stinking up the place. I thought Vince Evans was going to be the stud QB for years. I was so wrong...

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

talk to us about his supporting cast.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Huff played in an era where if you threw 20 passes a game, that was "prolific". He had come from a Florida State program which put the ball in the air a lot. He led the nation in passing with 2800 yards and 25 TDs, but also threw a lot of INTs and wasn't big or athletic. I think Joe Gibbs was his OC at FSU, so that had to inflate his numbers as well. Huff was basically the Cliff Kingsbury of his generation.

I just looked up Huff's career stats: 46.8 rating, 16 TDs, 50 Interceptions! He's got to be on the short list of crappy Bear quarterbacks.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its amazing that Huff lasted as long as he did. At least Cade McNown was a quick wash-out and was never heard from again.

For whatever reason, I saw a lot of Cade McNown's college games...probably because UCLA was usually the late night game. McNown was kind of like Johnny Manziel. He'd run around, heave the ball up, and then one of his tall WRs (Danny Farmer) would grab it for a TD. He didn't have really big numbers in college, but he completed a lot of deep passes. I was surprised the Bears drafted him so early, because he wasn't that big and he had character question marks, but I never thought he would be a complete bust in the NFL.
Kind of explains McNown's success throwing to(towards?) Marcus Robinson.

McNown was a real system fit for the Bears..or was thought to be. They didn't need a guy with a huge arm at the time and the offense McNown was running in college was similar to what Crowton was wanting to run in Chicago.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gary Crowton was a guy who somehow had "name recognition" but has been terrible everywhere he's been. For the Bears fans who didn't like Mike Martz, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Crowton.

The best thing to happen to Gary Crowton's perception in Chicago was him being followed by John Shoop.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Its amazing that Huff lasted as long as he did. At least Cade McNown was a quick wash-out and was never heard from again.

For whatever reason, I saw a lot of Cade McNown's college games...probably because UCLA was usually the late night game. McNown was kind of like Johnny Manziel. He'd run around, heave the ball up, and then one of his tall WRs (Danny Farmer) would grab it for a TD. He didn't have really big numbers in college, but he completed a lot of deep passes. I was surprised the Bears drafted him so early, because he wasn't that big and he had character question marks, but I never thought he would be a complete bust in the NFL.

I remember the McNown character question marks, but the Bears (Mark Hatley) looked at his character as a plus. He was cocky, almost demanding that the Bears draft him when they interviewed him. They looked at that as a feature, not a bug. The confidence, the swagger.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I remember the McNown character question marks, but the Bears (Mark Hatley) looked at his character as a plus. He was cocky, almost demanding that the Bears draft him when they interviewed him. They looked at that as a feature, not a bug. The confidence, the swagger.

We had a chance to get Daunte Culpepper. McCown didn't have a NFL arm.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Gary Crowton was a guy who somehow had "name recognition" but has been terrible everywhere he's been. For the Bears fans who didn't like Mike Martz, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Crowton.

I had no prob with Crowton. He was very pass oriented.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
We had a chance to get Daunte Culpepper. McCown didn't have a NFL arm.
Bears also had a chance to get that guy Baltimore drafted, Kyle Boller. Now he had an arm. But just it, he could throw through the uprights from on his knees at the 50 yard line.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to remember though, that Quinn had an amazing trait I wish Cutler had, which is the ability to take a blind side hit completely unawares about 4 seconds into the play, still standing there like a statue, but like a statue the ball didn't come out of his hands.

I bet he had huge hands. His ball protection was good.

Hutchinson played one game and had a 0.0 QB rating. Was a pitcher from the minor leagues. I mean...that was probably the bottom. I think Clausen should be in the discussion, but I bet he knew more of what he was doing than Hutchinson.