The Development of Bobby Portis

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Portis. I think he is another long hustle forward with a nice jumper that fits along our building arsenal.

I'm not sure he will even play much this year or if we would be too excited if he did.

danchi23

Liked Posts:
Hes looking good creating and dishing per the last few games. I think that early in the season he wont get much playing, but as the season goes we may see him shine and get playing time. Kinda like Niko.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hes looking good creating and dishing per the last few games. I think that early in the season he wont get much playing, but as the season goes we may see him shine and get playing time. Kinda like Niko.
I don't see him playing much unless injuries occur. Which is probable with Taj. So he may actually see some action.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
At some point you know Pau, Taj, or Jo will get some kind of injury...he'll get PT for a small stretch.

Hell it may end up that all of them are injured at the same time. We need Bobby P to add depth.

The best thing about him is he does not look lost out on the court. Think back to last year Dougie used to look out of place with NBA level talent. It may have been the system he was in, but still looked bad.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If Mirotic played starting small forward, and Taj played backup center, Portis could get more minutes as backup power forward.

Rose/Brooks
Butler/Snell
Mirotic/MicDermott
Pau/Portis
Noah/Taj

I'd much rather have Mirotic at PF all the time. It suits him much better.
Agree with what Clone says. I hated Niko at SF last year, won't like him there this year either. Niko just needs to add some muscle so he can go up against NBA PF's better.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't remember much how he fared at small forward last season, but, I really think Portis needs more minutes, he can contribute. Maybe, Portis can play backup center, but, I think he's more of a power forward. I'd just like to see this Bulls team get some players playing their natural position. This in-betweener stuff, or completely playing out of position, doesn't tickle my fancy at all :)
Niko had a handful of good and bad moments at SF. Defensively he gets destroyed. He did kind of ok offensively from what I remember. But at PF he has far less defensive woes and has a huge mismatch offensively against most 4s.

Personally I think the difference between PF and C is basically nonexistent. You see tons of players who can play both. Given the love for small ball recently in the NBA, Portis can fit right in as a center. I can see Hoiberg giving Pau and Noah days off to rest so Portis will see some minutes, but given the makeup of the team, I don't think he necessarily needs minutes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@clonetrooper264
I think the Bulls could use an inside presence which Portis gives, which is why I think he actually needs minutes.
Inside how? Offense? We have Pau and Taj who can definitely provide that. Niko a bit as well if the matchup is right. Defensively we have Noah and Taj. Imo there's nothing that Portis brings that we don't have already, so him playing is a luxury more than a necessity. Don't get me wrong, he's looking pretty solid as a player, and one who would contribute if given minutes, I just think we have more established players already.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the Bulls will struggle to score against good defensive teams. Because good defensive teams will be able to cover us on the arc, unlike the T'Wolves did.
So, we'll need an inside scoring presence to try to get easier points.
And this is where Portis comes in for me.
Although I do agree that Taj and Pau can give us points inside.
However I'm not so high on Mirotic being able to do that.
Well Mirotic is matchup dependent like I said. I think most of our inside points will be coming from Rose and Butler though. Not quite the traditional inside presence, but the threat of the 3 should also open up driving lanes for both. I think at it's core, that's where the Hoiberg offense will really show its value.

danchi23

Liked Posts:
I don't see him playing much unless injuries occur. Which is probable with Taj. So he may actually see some action.

Or a potential trade for a guard but wont know that intill the season starts.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the Bulls will struggle to score against good defensive teams. Because good defensive teams will be able to cover us on the arc, unlike the T'Wolves did.

I like3 Mirotic offensively at the SF position not being beaten up by the more muscular bigs. He can post up SFs and shoot over them and also create more at SF than PF. I think that we waste his talents at PF. He can move to PF after Gasol leaves

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I like Mirotic offensively at the SF position so he is not being beaten up by the more muscular bigs at the PF position. He can post up SFs and shoot over them and also create more at SF than PF. I think that we waste his talents at PF. He can move to PF after Gasol leaves. Mirotic is the best playmaker that they will have on the court next season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They once again NEED to make a trade. We are over-loaded in bigs and lacking in quality smalls. ANd yeah, I've been pissing and moaning about this disparity for about 4 years.years now. I do not know why Gar/Pax are so damn stupid.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
They once again NEED to make a trade. We are over-loaded in bigs and lacking in quality smalls. ANd yeah, I've been pissing and moaning about this disparity for about 4 years.years now. I do not know why Gar/Pax are so damn stupid.
Which big would you like them to trade?

Taj?? Noah??

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like3 Mirotic offensively at the SF position not being beaten up by the more muscular bigs. He can post up SFs and shoot over them and also create more at SF than PF. I think that we waste his talents at PF. He can move to PF after Gasol leaves

I am very glad you are not on the coaching staff, although not surprised.

With Mirotic at the 3, you have a defensive liability. And perhaps even more importantly, he is a 32% three-pt shooter which is 4% below NBA average, and even farther below the percentage of average perimeter players. When he is on the floor with 2 other bigs, you have almost no consistent spacing.

Gasol should be their center. I am tired of seeing the awkward tandem of Noah+Gasol on the front-line. Give the bulk of PF minutes to Gibson and Mirotic, and let Portis fight to prove he belongs.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i like what ive seen so far

hes active on the boards and has range out to the 3 point line

looking like we got another steal

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Make no mistake, Portis has been pretty darn good this preseason, but he shouldn't be getting minutes ahead of our top 4 bigs. He'll get his chances when one or more of them inevitably sits. Might change my tune if he shows he can hit the 3 consistently though.