The Final Countdown: White Sox Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Yes. I would shut down Sale for the rest of the season and same with Peavy. I'm fine with these 2 and Q for next year. Then lets build 4 and 5 starters. I guess let Danks be the 4 or 5 because he's finally healthy and pitched well tonight. His contract makes him untradeable UNLESS he's healthy the rest of the season and starts to be good. He was good tonight. I wasn't happy with giving him a big contract but it is what it is. Hopefully we keep shedding salaries.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You don't shut down healthy guys, period. IIRC it has never happened.

We have #3,4,5 already in Danks, Q, and Santiago The team is fine there. Open hole at #2 if Peavy is traded.

We need hitters. And not home run or nothing guys, but "toolsy" hitters.

I see us making a trade at the last moment. Unfortuantely I will have to read about it the next day.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Jake Peavy - S - White Sox
Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that Jake Peavy is likely to be scratched from Tuesday's scheduled start against the Indians.
Peavy hasn't been traded, but this would seem to indicate that the White Sox are getting close to sending him somewhere and don't want to risk the possibility of injury. FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported Monday that the Athletics were moving off Peavy and looking at other options, but the Red Sox and Cardinals are among some of the other teams in the mix. The White Sox are expected to call up Andre Rienzo to start in Peavy's place on Tuesday.
Source: Chicago Tribune Jul 30 - 9:05 AM

Now it doesn't necesarrily mean anything is close but this is an obvious move. And if "you're building around Peavy" you wouldn't be doing this. Hopefully Rienzo has a good debut and proves to be something.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Why not shut down you're 24 year old ace in order to save innings on his arm? His durability is always questioned anyways although he's been anything but injured.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Why not shut down you're 24 year old ace in order to save innings on his arm? His durability is always questioned anyways although he's been anything but injured.

Because pitchers need to pitch. I am really not qualified to give the reasons, but you hear that all the time. Shutting him down is not an option if he is healthy. And if you are Chris Sale you don't want to be shut down. It's a lose lose situation.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Ya I know just don't want to over use him although we might as well get as much out of him right now.

Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com reports that Jake Peavy will not start Tuesday night against the Indians.
This confirms a report by Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Peavy hasn't been traded yet, but the decision indicates that the White Sox are involved in discussions and don't want to risk the chance of injury. Look for him to be packing his bags before Wednesday's non-waiver trade deadline. Andre Rienzo is expected to be called up to start in Peavy's place on Tuesday.
Source: Chuck Garfien on Twitter Jul 30 - 10:29 AM

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Correction: Peavy owed less than $20M. Deferred signing bonus already paid. Problem appears to be more talent coming back to CWS than cash.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that there are no current discussions between the Cardinals and White Sox regarding right-hander Jake Peavy.
The Cardinals have been mentioned as a possible landing spot over the past couple of weeks, but there's no momentum toward a deal at this point. The Diamondbacks have also been rumored, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that they have dropped out of the running since Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list soon. The White Sox have scratched Peavy from his scheduled start on Tuesday, so it still appears likely he'll be moved before Wednesday's deadline.
Related: Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Athletics, Cardinals
Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter Jul 30

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings130730/biogenesis-case-thorn-side-some-contenders
Jayson Stark

Jake Peavy: Monday was a fascinating day on the Peavy front. Talks between the A's and White Sox appeared to blow up, with Oakland suggesting it was moving on and the White Sox saying they're ready to keep Peavy and build around him.

And discussions with the Red Sox seemed to move forward, then collapsed amid what one source told ESPN Boston's Gordon Edes were "mixed signals" from the White Sox. As Edes reported, as of Monday, the White Sox were still looking for a "Zack Greinke-like" package for Peavy. And Boston clearly is balking.

But despite all that posturing, does anyone really believe Peavy will still be with the White Sox by Wednesday evening? No one we've surveyed does.

"In the end, they pretty much have to get him traded before he starts again," said one exec. "So what you're seeing is other teams saying to themselves, 'The price is going to drop in the hour before his start, whenever that is.' I think everyone knows they're not going to get any team's No. 1 prospect for Jake Peavy. Once they come off that ask, you'll know they're getting serious."

There are other teams (Arizona, St. Louis, Baltimore) that appear to remain peripherally in this mix. But, increasingly this looks like a Boston-versus-Oakland duel for Peavy, still the biggest difference-maker who's likely to get traded this week.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It sounds like the White Sox and Pirates are getting close on a deal for right fielder Alex Rios, tweets David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. He notes that the cash is being worked on, and he's not sure if the two clubs can find middle ground. Rios will be owed over $18MM through 2014 if traded.

mlbtr

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Nice! Peace rios hopefully with us helping with money we get polanco but I've seen a report we like Alex Dickerson

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
The White Sox announced that Jake Peavy's next start has been pushed back to Wednesday.
That's assuming he's not dealt before the non-waiver trade deadline at 4 p.m. ET. Peavy was scratched from Tuesday's scheduled start, which is an indication that the White Sox are heavily involved in trade discussions.
Source: Doug Padilla on Twitter Jul 30 - 2:25 PM

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@scottmerkin: I know the White Sox have interest in Tyler Glasnow, the 19-year-old hurler with stunning numbers for the Pirates in the SAL, among others

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@Buster_ESPN: The Diamondbacks have been considering Peavy for weeks, and if they get cash adjustment,they could make a deal. Towers/Peavy history strong.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I think he will be...

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that the Diamondbacks have emerged as the front runner to acquire Jake Peavy from the White Sox.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers traded Peavy to the White Sox four years ago when he was at the helm in San Diego, but he's now looking for a reunion in Arizona. It's not known what the Diamondbacks are willing to offer, but the White Sox have set the bar pretty high in trade discussions. The 32-year-old right-hander is under contract for $14.5 million in 2014.
Related: Diamondbacks
Source: Gordon Edes on Twitter Jul 30 - 2:48 PM

@Buster_ESPN: CWS have been looking for major-league ready young players. Arizona has Tyler Skaggs. Possible match? We'll see. http://t.co/2AzNWoRzLo

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@JonHeymanCBS: rios makes sense for #pirates. but deal is not close at this time, i hear.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@SteveGilbertMLB: Confirmed the #Dbacks are talking to #WhiteSox about Jake Peavy. http://t.co/qrG5aRhv8x

D-backs discussing Jake Peavy with White Sox
Posted by Steve Gilbert
ST. PETERSBURG — The D-backs are talking to the White Sox about a deal involving right-hander Jake Peavy, a baseball source confirmed.

Peavy is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 games for the White Sox this year.

The right-hander has a history with Arizona general manager Kevin Towers. Peavy pitched for Towers for eight seasons when Towers was the GM of the Padres.

It was Towers who traded Peavy to the White Sox at the trade deadline in 2009 in exchange for Dexter Carter, Aaron Poreda, Clayton Richard and Adam Russell.

Peavy is owed around $5.28 million for the rest of this season and $14.5 million next year. The contact includes a player option for 2015 if Peavy either has 400 innings pitched in 2013-14 including at least 190 in 2014 and is not on the disabled list at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

Peavy is also owed a $4 million buyout from his previous contract.

What the D-backs would have to give up to get Peavy is not known. The White Sox are interested in acquiring infielders and the D-backs do have highly-regarded prospects like third Matt Davidson and shortstop Chris Owings at Triple-A Reno.

If the White Sox require a young pitcher in return it’s possible the D-backs could include left-hander Tyler Skaggs in the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.