The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1[7] Chicago Bears: WR Kevin White [West Virginia] 6'3" 215lbs. 4.35 [40], 23 reps, 36.5" vert, 10'3" broad

13784966.jpg

2[39] Chicago Bears: NT Eddie Goldman [Florida St] 6'4" 336lbs. 5.26 [40], 26" vert, 19 reps

EddieGoldman.jpg

3[71]Chicago Bears: C Hroniss Grasu [Oregon] 6'3" 297lbs. 5.01 [40]

grasu.jpg

4[106] Chicago Bears: RB Jeremy Langford [Michigan St] 5'11" 208lbs. 4.42 [40], 34.5" vert, 9'10" broad, 19 reps

Langford.jpg

5[142] S Adrian Amos [Penn St] 6' 218lbs. 4.37 [40], 21 reps, 35.5" vert 10'2" broad

6_916106.jpg

6[183] OT Tayo Fabuluje [TCU] 6'6" 353lbs. 5.55 [40], 16 reps, 29.5" vert

0ap1000000224454.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
-Thought there would be more of a focus on defense. Perhaps the value did not work out on defense, perhaps they want a season to evaluate a number of the question mark guys on defense.

-A nice focus on the lines with 3 picks being invested in the group.

-Big athletic players seems to be a focus. White, Amos, Langford, Grasu tested out incredibly well.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
-Thought there would be more of a focus on defense. Perhaps the value did not work out on defense, perhaps they want a season to evaluate a number of the question mark guys on defense.

-A nice focus on the lines with 3 picks being invested in the group.

-Big athletic players seems to be a focus. White, Amos, Langford, Grasu tested out incredibly well.

One of the theories on why the Bears didn't draft a lot of defense was that Fangio wanted to big bodies on the DL to cover the linebackers and their weaknesses. In SF, it was the opposite because their OLBs were good.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Worst defense in the NFL doesn't need much help? I think I understand Pace's apparoach

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I liked white ,grasu, amos not sure about the rest though.....
I thought that they would focus more on defense too I think pace and fox need more time to evaluate our players and the only way you do that is on the field in games so.all in all I cant rip him when they really don't know what they have yet.lets see who really fits the team new scheme before we know what our true weakness is .....

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
My draft grade is an A, I see 3 starters for years to come. Now let's see what kind of undrafted guys we can get.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
My draft grade is an A, I see 3 starters for years to come. Now let's see what kind of undrafted guys we can get.

Undrafted players are just as important. I really hope they can get Ekpre-Olomu, McBride, and Collins if all of them go undrafted.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if they realize that this defense is going to need multiple drafts to rebuild.

Hitting it with 6 picks would probably not have changed that.

I cannot argue with any of the picks, although I would have preferred a 4th round pick on defense and not at Rb.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It seems character is going to have a heavy influence on the Bears draft.

All players drafted are also at the upper end if size for their positions, no one I would consider undersized.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
I wonder if they realize that this defense is going to need multiple drafts to rebuild.

I cannot argue with any of the picks, although I would have preferred a 4th round pick on defense and not at Rb.
They picked the RB because they may still trade Forte, especially when he takes the next step with his "holdout".

The defense had talent the last couple seasons, but Mel Tucker didn't utilize them correctly.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
While D lite, very solid draft. First a great coaching staff, now a very solid draft, things are looking up!

Madden

Liked Posts:
I'd give it a solid B

No big reaches and got good value. I still think our secondary needs improvement though. Maybe we can bring in some decent undrafted free agents in a couple of weeks. Some CB's and LB's would be nice.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
It is funny, but as I did these damned Fanspeak and First-speak draft simulators, I kept on finding the best value being offensive players. I have no arguments with rounds 1-3, and felt Center and NT were our biggest needs.

Langford was a surprise, but this is likely Forte's sat year. I loved the Amos pick. In round 6, I was hoping for Kevin White, the CB from TCU, but Tayo is risky but intriguing.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This fucking team needs multiple drafts to rebuild just have to be patient for when to invest in the most important piece of the equation.....qb. We will get there don't worry we all going to make it bra! We have been through ten years of bandaid philosophy of crap this isn't going to be fixed in an offseason

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

We're gonna be big spenders on D next year once we're rid of Allen's contract and some others. Probably Forte and hopefully Cutlers.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Worst defense in the NFL doesn't need much help? I think I understand Pace's apparoach

So you would rather him pick players that aren't going to be as good of players in his opinion, just to put bodies on D? History has shown over and over that strategy does not work. Keep ignoring the facts bro.

Liked Posts:
I am not particularly happy with the Langford pick (I don't think he was the type of back we needed), and I don't know much about Grasu and Fabuluje to make an accurate assessment. But I am fairly good with all the rest of the guys we picked, especially getting Amos in the 5th round. I guess we will have to wait and see though.

Nick80

Every pick points toward competition in camp. The first three picks at the very least have an oppertunity to comepte to start from the get go. The RB and S will have chances to win back up spots and most likely ST places and the the Tackle is a project. Pace/Fox seem more than any other GM/HC combo we have witnessed in the last 15 years at least, that competition will create a better team ethic/ethos.

Be interesting to see what happens as the camps start etc.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Every pick points toward competition in camp. The first three picks at the very least have an oppertunity to comepte to start from the get go. The RB and S will have chances to win back up spots and most likely ST places and the the Tackle is a project. Pace/Fox seem more than any other GM/HC combo we have witnessed in the last 15 years at least, that competition will create a better team ethic/ethos.

Be interesting to see what happens as the camps start etc.

This. Dont over think it. Best draft evar.