The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
B. Solid if unspectacular. I don't understand why Pace went heavier on offense than defense, but really there is so much I don't understand.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
He did a great job. Many of my posts have emphasized that this NFL is about the passing game and offense and that this should be a focus in the draft. This cutting edge young executive seems to get that. Of course it helps having the Dark Lord as DC to make the disparate pieces on defense somehow all fit together to form a cohesive whole. I still say having a cutting edge young executive in Halas Hall is about as rare as a big foot siting.

Joker85

Liked Posts:
He did a great job. Many of my posts have emphasized that this NFL is about the passing game and offense and that this should be a focus in the draft. This cutting edge young executive seems to get that. Of course it helps having the Dark Lord as DC to make the disparate pieces on defense somehow all fit together to form a cohesive whole. I still say having a cutting edge young executive in Halas Hall is about as rare as a big foot siting.

It's also important to remember we have new defense and a bunch of bodies that we have no idea how will fit into that new scheme. The truth is we are not entirely sure the specifics of what we desperately, moderately, or not at all need on that side of the ball. This coming year will get us a chance to see exactly where we stand with the new scheme, coaches, and players and then next year go full on to fill needs that are tailored specifically to our defense rather than the old Trestman defense.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
nice draft, didnt reach for specific players. would have thought they would look at more defensive players but i could also see the staff wanting to see what they have in front of them and identify what areas are really a concern and what areas are a strength, currently its an unknown.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's also important to remember we have new defense and a bunch of bodies that we have no idea how will fit into that new scheme. The truth is we are not entirely sure the specifics of what we desperately, moderately, or not at all need on that side of the ball. This coming year will get us a chance to see exactly where we stand with the new scheme, coaches, and players and then next year go full on to fill needs that are tailored specifically to our defense rather than the old Trestman defense.

Lots of questions on defense and I have no issue with them waiting to get some answers.

Willie Young shows up healthy and nets another 10 sacks and the Bears no longer need an OLB as desperately.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Don't forget we signed 4 def Players In fa....3 of whom should be starters.

Always prefer higher end talent and speed at any position vs drafting for a specific side of the ball or position

Only pick I question was Lankford but assuing this was fortes last year and fox tends to use multiple backs who are all usually successful

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

I agree that after a year of assessing, Pace and his guys will have a much clearer idea of what they need to draft on defense. So next draft could and probably should be more defense oriented than this one.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
B. Solid if unspectacular. I don't understand why Pace went heavier on offense than defense, but really there is so much I don't understand.

I'm guessing because the offensive free agents were a bit pricey this year, and there was no point in spending big money on older weapons for Cutler if they don't plan on him being around much longer, or don't expect to win with him. With that mindset, I can understand signing cheap 1 year D free agents, and truly drafting BPA for the future.

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
Solid first two picks, really solid. The rest well have to wait and see but that's the way it goes the deeper into it you get. Current coaching staff is now on the clock to develop these guys. The last few regimes were really lacking as far as player development goes. The whole organization for the last decade has looked discombobulated. Fingers crossed that fox& co get the ship righted

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this draft proves to me that the bears did draft best player available according to them and did not concede to a lesser talent to fill a greater need. Otherwise the first three picks would have been LB, CB, S, in any order.

The Bears did a good job in FA filling the LB and Safety needs for 1 year, you can't have studs at every position. Our CB depth is probably the weakest at this point imo. But like i said before, you can't have every position full of studs and depth.

Regardless, we will not know for at least 2 more years how well this draft ends up.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
These FA signings allowed Pace to not have to force picks because of need on Defense.

McPhee
Ball
McDonald
Jenkins
Acho
Rolle
Foster

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we ignored our LB depth in hopes that it was coaching. I think he rolled the dice that Tucker was that bad. We'll see but the upgrades up front will hopefully put a band aid on the back end for another year.

But overall, one of the more successful drafts I can remember in the past 15 years.

EDIT: and if White turns out to be a one year wonder... ouch.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we ignored our LB depth in hopes that it was coaching. I think he rolled the dice that Tucker was that bad. We'll see but the upgrades up front will hopefully put a band aid on the back end for another year

When in doubt, always build the lines up. Good O or D lines make everyone else better by default. Even Ka'Deem Carey would look good running behind that line in Dallas... Then again they have 3 first rnd picks on that line.

Mauled By Bears

Liked Posts:
We will all be glad we have this many talented running backs midway through the year considering John Fox's running back usage.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
I have no issues with the offense over defense as long as the FO had higher ratings on the offensive players. Our team has way too many holes on both sides of the ball to not draft BPA.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
1. Kevin White - BPA and somewhat a position of need. Big, athletic guy with the potential to be a top WR in this league. Good off-field intangibles. Day 1 starter opposite Alshon.

2. Eddie Goldman - Love the pick. BPA and fills a big need. Big, stout run defender. Good guy off the field and a student of the game. Day 1 starter. That D-line looks real beefy now.

3. Hroniss Grasu - Solid pick. Has good athleticism and ability to get to the second level. Smart player and good off the field intangibles. Future leader on the OL. Will be in serious competition for the starting job.

4. Jeremy Langford - Interesting pick. When I read the reports on him, I didn't think he was the kind of guy we needed since they said he was predicted to be a 3rd down back with little potential as a early down runner. Good pass catcher and blocker. When I watched him on tape against Purdue though, he had a good stiff arm, was patient in letting his blocks develop, has speed to burn and was always falling forward. I think he has the ability to be a starter eventually in this league if he continues to improve. At the very least, he is a good 3rd down back.

5. Adrian Amos - Good height, weight, speed. Looks more like a true FS. Has good range to cover. Potential is there. All going to depend on how he develops.

6. Tayo Fabuluje - Mammoth. Probably needs to slim down to be more effective. Could be valuable in obvious running situations of on the goal line. Project who may not be a in the final 53.