The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
1. Kevin White - BPA and somewhat a position of need. Big, athletic guy with the potential to be a top WR in this league. Good off-field intangibles. Day 1 starter opposite Alshon.

2. Eddie Goldman - Love the pick. BPA and fills a big need. Big, stout run defender. Good guy off the field and a student of the game. Day 1 starter. That D-line looks real beefy now.

3. Hroniss Grasu - Solid pick. Has good athleticism and ability to get to the second level. Smart player and good off the field intangibles. Future leader on the OL. Will be in serious competition for the starting job.

4. Jeremy Langford - Interesting pick. When I read the reports on him, I didn't think he was the kind of guy we needed since they said he was predicted to be a 3rd down back with little potential as a early down runner. Good pass catcher and blocker. When I watched him on tape against Purdue though, he had a good stiff arm, was patient in letting his blocks develop, has speed to burn and was always falling forward. I think he has the ability to be a starter eventually in this league if he continues to improve. At the very least, he is a good 3rd down back.

5. Adrian Amos - Good height, weight, speed. Looks more like a true FS. Has good range to cover. Potential is there. All going to depend on how he develops.

6. Tayo Fabuluje - Mammoth. Probably needs to slim down to be more effective. Could be valuable in obvious running situations of on the goal line. Project who may not be a in the final 53.
I agree with everything on here except langford is playing purdue that wouldn't surprise me 90% of rbs are going to have success against purdue

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I'm satisfied. The first 4 picks don't seem like 'reaches' that would have been passed over by the next 10-15 teams. Neither of the other 2 were complete unknowns. None sound like they fell because the had problems or are projects, or are athletes that need to learn a new position or seem to have 'issues' that make you wonder what kind of miracle the coaches would have to come up with to make them contributors.

Most of all I like Pace as much as any GM in the past 20 years especially the last 5 because he drafted a running back that makes sense. Langford seems to be close in size and strengths to Forte. For so long the Bears have drafted guys who were too small to do the same things Forte does or they were big backs but not fullbacks who were supposed to be able to run inside but couldn't run or catch the ball. I always wanted a guy similar to Forte so that when he came off the bench you could run the same plays and the defense wouldn't see instantly that the back up was inferior.

I know Pace wanted to trade down and get more picks but there isn't that much value in the 4-6 rounds to make it worth an extra pick so that didn't workout but I think there must be undrafted players who could be as good as what was available in the 6-7 rounds.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
6'6 353 pounds. Got damn that's a beefy mo fo.
Yeah, but he will tone up

fat_black_man_and_miley_cyrus_and_-12543.jpg

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think Langford was the most interesting pick. The fact is that Forte is unlikely to be here next year. Hopefully Carey and Langford will be equal to the task. I like the top three as well as Amos. Maybe we can get lucky with a couple of undrafted guys. I'd give it a B+ if anyone really cares about grades immediately after the draft.

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has anyone even considered how attractive Pace is?

In my book he had a great draft.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has anyone even considered how attractive Pace is?

In my book he had a great draft.

Not...going...there, haha. Pace will mature - he seems like he's well organized and brings people together. It seems apparent that he's not going to reach much.

theArizonaState

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not...going...there, haha. Pace will mature - he seems like he's well organized and brings people together. It seems apparent that he's not going to reach much.

It's all W's and L's we'll see how he does.

The NT really is very talented, and the Center ran pretty athletic 40 yard dash. If he was an OT or OG that'd be a 1st rounder time.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I don't mind that we didn't draft defense. We signed 7 defensive players.

Antrelle Rolle, Ray McDonald and Pernell McPhee are starters unless they get hurt... It's highly likely that Foster wins a starting spot at ILB. And more than likely Ball will at least play nickel. Jenkins and Acho are probably not going to start but both should get playing time.

I would say that Eddie Goldman will be our primary Nose Tackle on run downs. That's already half the defense different from last year... and if Houston and Allen can improve a little, that's a fairly major impact.

The Vikings went from 32nd in points allowed to 11th mostly by hiring Mike Zimmer. They promoted several bench players... they drafted Barr.. and signed Munerlyn and Joseph.. 3 players.. one coach.

We have already done a lot more... We added the best DC in the gam e

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I enjoyed watching a draft where we the picks made sense, had solid value, and still had some upside.

Starters

White
Goldman
Grasu

Sub Package, Special Teams, Long Term Starting Potential

Langford
Amos

Intriguing Project

Fabujule

Cannot argue with that.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
we are not one step closer to fixing our QB problem.
Saints and Packers have HOF QB's and they draft QBs.
we should of at the very least traded out of pick 7 so we had more ammo to draft a top QB next year.
our biggest problem, didn't get addressed once again........new GM same old shit.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
we are not one step closer to fixing our QB problem.
Saints and Packers have HOF QB's and they draft QBs.
we should of at the very least traded out of pick 7 so we had more ammo to draft a top QB next year.
our biggest problem, didn't get addressed once again........new GM same old shit.

It is harder to do than you think.

It appears that they tried to address it with Mariota, but the Titans would not bight.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They believe they have some talent from last years defense. Remember, Tucker was the main reason we sucked so bad. I think they believe then can work with what we have. C'mon we did upgrade 7 postitions on D already. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see 4 starters and a back-up running back by year 3. Plus legitamate Mills competition. I would have preferred a Mills replacement, but we did sign a guard with starting experience, we have an OT Leno Jr from last year, and we should slide Long over to RT anyway.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I see 4 starters and a back-up running back by year 3. Plus legitamate Mills competition. I would have preferred a Mills replacement, but we did sign a guard with starting experience, we have an OT Leno Jr from last year, and we should slide Long over to RT anyway.

I think that might be a little rich. I don't think Tayo is a legitimate threat to Mills. He is simply a project.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
It is harder to do than you think.

It appears that they tried to address it with Mariota, but the Titans would not bight.

I get that its tuff. but when was the last time we even took a chance on a 3rd rounder?
the Pats take a QB every other year, just in case, because it is the most important position on the team.
the Packers and saints just did the same. even the rams took a QB and I would much rather have Foles over Cutler.
Pace talked the talk about the Qb position, but he did absolutely nothing to fix it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get that its tuff. but when was the last time we even took a chance on a 3rd rounder?
the Pats take a QB every other year, just in case, because it is the most important position on the team.
the Packers and saints just did the same. even the rams took a QB and I would much rather have Foles over Cutler.
Pace talked the talk about the Qb position, but he did absolutely nothing to fix it.

Do you think Grayson, Hundley, or Petty will ever be NFL starters?

I would agree with the feeling if any of the options didn't look like career backups in the best case scenario.