The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Interesting that we did not take a DE, QB or LB in the draft which tells me that Pace isn't going to reach on a player.

The Bears had a plan and had their pics in right away. Very cool calm and collected. You never know about any draft but it appears very solid to me.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Raw dog, you make a good point. Solid floors with every draft pick. That is the sign that you know you have holes everywhere. Take Amos, maybe he is never a starter, but at least he stays on the roster as a solid backup. Pace knows he has holes everywhere and this draft has players that will stay on the depth chart one way or another.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am stealing this from EVAN SILVA cause I couldn't have said it any better, so I am just going to copy an paste.
(except I would grade it with an A or at least a B +)

Chicago Bears

7. West Virginia WR Kevin White
39. Florida State NT Eddie Goldman
71. Oregon C Hroniss Grasu
106. Michigan State RB Jeremy Langford
142. Penn State S Adrian Amos
183. TCU OG Tayo Fabuluje

Overview: The Bears' roster is reeling so much from the failed Phil Emery era that they just needed to prioritize adding good football players. Rookie GM Ryan Pace entered Thursday with too many needs to worry about drafting positions. He needs contributors. And I think he came away with a lot of them. White is a monster on the perimeter who can win over the top and turn short catches into long gains. Goldman lacks flash, but is willing to do the dirty work inside and will bolster Chicago's mediocre run defense. I think Grasu provided excellent value in round three and believe he will be a long-term fixture at center. Langford lacks starting-caliber running ability, but should be a useful NFL role player, particularly in the passing game. Amos is exceptionally versatile and could be a starting safety in time. Fabuluje is a dart throw with some upside. Did the Bears fail to address a number of needs? Yes. But I never expected them to solve all of their problems with only six picks. This was a rock-solid first draft for Pace.

Grade: B

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
7. WR Kevin White............B
39. NT Eddie Goldman......A
71. C Hroniss Grasu..........B+
106. RB Jeremy Langford..C
142. S Adrian Amos..........A
183. OG Tayo Fabuluje.....A

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From NFL.com:

"Chicago Bears
Draft pick: WR Kevin White (No. 7 overall), DT Eddie Goldman (No. 39 overall), OL Hroniss Grasu (No. 71 overall), RB Jeremy Langford (No. 106 overall), S Adrian Amos (No. 142 overall), OL Tayo Fabuluje (No. 183 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: A
The skinny: The hometown crowd reacted positively to the Bears' first pick, and it wasn't alone. New GM Ryan Pace grabbed a player with arguably the highest upside in the draft. Jay Cutler said goodbye to Brandon Marshall and hello to someone with the potential to be even better in White, which has to make Cutler happy even if the front office might have tried to trade him. Good luck to opposing defenses trying to defend White and Alshon Jeffrey. At times, Goldman was dominant in the middle of Florida State's defense, and John Fox is hoping that happens in the Windy City. Oregon offensive linemen have worked out well for the Bears in recent years, and Grasu should continue that trend.

Bottom line: Nice start for new GM Ryan Pace, landing key fits and players who could have long NFL careers."

and...

This section was from 2015 NFL Draft winners...

"Chicago Bears
Ryan Pace knocked his first draft as general manager out of the park. Receiver Kevin White immediately replaces Brandon Marshall and gives the Bears a tall, speedy wideout to pair with Alshon Jeffery for years to come. White has stardom written all over him. Grabbing nose tackle Eddie Goldman in the second round fills a huge need as the Bears move to a 3-4. Tailback Jeremy Langford could extend the string John Fox and Adam Gase have had with uncovering productive runners late in the draft. -- Kevin Patra

Bearsfan7954

Liked Posts:
maybe you should do some cap research, before you chime in stupidity.
All I'm going to say about this, is the Pats and the Packers can afford to pick a QB in the 3rd because those teams are not dumpster fires like the Bears. This team needed too many other players at other positions this year. Add to that having a weak QB class there is no reason to waste a much needed pick on a QB who may be good or be a complete bust this year. Cutler will be fine for this year and there is no point bitching and moaning about it. Give this staff some time to right the ship and try to enjoy the ride. Pace may crash and burn but so far he seems to be doing pretty good but time will tell.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From the Washington Post:

CHICAGO BEARS: The Bears did very well, getting immediate difference-makers on both sides of the ball. Kevin White is a potential game-breaker at wide receiver. Some thought he might go fourth overall to the Raiders but Chicago didn’t have to move up from the seventh spot to get him. The Bears were able to get DT Eddie Goldman, considered a potential first-round choice, seven picks into the second round, and adding C Hroniss Grasu in the third round fortifies the middle of the offensive line. Grade: A-

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
From the Washington Post:

CHICAGO BEARS: The Bears did very well, getting immediate difference-makers on both sides of the ball. Kevin White is a potential game-breaker at wide receiver. Some thought he might go fourth overall to the Raiders but Chicago didn’t have to move up from the seventh spot to get him. The Bears were able to get DT Eddie Goldman, considered a potential first-round choice, seven picks into the second round, and adding C Hroniss Grasu in the third round fortifies the middle of the offensive line. Grade: A-
The Washington Post has a long history of jerking Bears fans around

tarlyn

Liked Posts:
From Walter Football....http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

Chicago Bears: A- Grade
Goals Entering the 2015 NFL Draft: The Bears should also be desperate to move up for Marcus Mariota. However, their chances aren't as likely because, well, why in the world would the Titans want a heartless bum quarterback? Chicago will finally replace Cutler next year - check out my 2016 NFL Mock Draft - but in the meantime, they'll need to add pieces for their new 3-4, as well as a receiver to replace Brandon Marshall and offensive linemen to have in place for their next quarterback.

2015 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Bears did indeed attempt to trade up for Mariota, but it was a hilarious, futile effort because they tried to include Cutler in the deal. Chicago would've had more luck offering dog poop to the Titans. After all, dog poop doesn't have nearly as high of a cap charge.

All kidding aside, the Bears had a terrific initial draft under this new front office. They accomplished all of their realistic goals, beginning with finding a replacement for Brandon Marshall. Kevin White was the best player available at No. 7, so he was the clear-cut correct choice. Pieces for the 3-4 were added after that. Eddie Goldman is the nose tackle Vic Fangio needed, while Adrian Amos is an athletic safety who will be able to compete for a starting job right away.

The Bears also found a couple of linemen for Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, or whomever their next quarterback will be. Hroniss Grasu was the sort of replacement the Bears needed for the departed Roberto Garza at center, while guard Tayo Fabuluje was a solid value choice in the sixth round.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
I loved the Bears draft in picks 1-5......I feel like the pick at 6 was just a shot in the dark of a guy with huge size and great character.. For anyone asking why they didn't draft a qb.......This was a weak draft of qb's and we only had 6 picks , and we weren't in a spot to waste a pick on a guy who has no chance...ala David Fales lol..

Aqbased

Liked Posts:
Arguably would of opted to go D in rd 1 and look for Lockett later in the draft. Very interested in seeing him pan out.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Langford lacks starting-caliber running ability, but should be a useful NFL role player

I agree with the first part of the sentence, but am unsure of what role Langford fills because he didn't have the catches and doesn't have the jitterbug feet to really be a change of pace back, so....someone explain what the role will be? Returner? I just don't get it at the top of the 4th; I think you can get more there personally.

I didn't have an issue with the rest of the draft and though Pace did very well.

I am optimistic on the direction of this franchise right now like i haven't been for awhile.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is funny, but as I did these damned Fanspeak and First-speak draft simulators, I kept on finding the best value being offensive players. I have no arguments with rounds 1-3, and felt Center and NT were our biggest needs.

Langford was a surprise, but this is likely Forte's sat year. I loved the Amos pick. In round 6, I was hoping for Kevin White, the CB from TCU, but Tayo is risky but intriguing.

I think the Langford pick speaks that they are not all that high on Carey.

tarlyn

Liked Posts:
To me it means RB by committee after the Forte era is over.....ie next season and many more breathers for Forte this season then ever before. Each RB has a different style with Langford being much more like Forte-Lite so they can run the same offense regardless of which RB is in there and bring Carey in when the right situations arise.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well after trolling a bit the other night I have to say w/e. Imo the only upgrades that = wins we got were the #2 pick this year. Here's to building for 2021

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Seems to me like you're still trolling. At least you're honest about it. They probably got three impact players, so that's a little difficult to complain or troll about. Every guy is high character and also athletic. A perfect draft rarely takes place, but they definitely had some things fall their way this weekend.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
All I'm going to say about this, is the Pats and the Packers can afford to pick a QB in the 3rd because those teams are not dumpster fires like the Bears. This team needed too many other players at other positions this year. Add to that having a weak QB class there is no reason to waste a much needed pick on a QB who may be good or be a complete bust this year. Cutler will be fine for this year and there is no point bitching and moaning about it. Give this staff some time to right the ship and try to enjoy the ride. Pace may crash and burn but so far he seems to be doing pretty good but time will tell.

This. The patriots are so deep they were just prospecting and taking long snappers in the fifth round, they lost revis and belichik will find some no name jamoke who will take his place without all the fanfare and theyll be deep into the playoffs, AND they have their future qb.

plus if cutler was in this draft he would have gone in the first, even with what everybody knows about him

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This. The patriots are so deep they were just prospecting and taking long snappers in the fifth round, they lost revis and belichik will find some no name jamoke who will take his place without all the fanfare and theyll be deep into the playoffs, AND they have their future qb.

plus if cutler was in this draft he would have gone in the first, even with what everybody knows about him

No kidding - we're a little bit away from taking picks because we're happy with the 53.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I enjoyed watching a draft where we the picks made sense, had solid value, and still had some upside.

Starters

White
Goldman
Grasu

Sub Package, Special Teams, Long Term Starting Potential

Langford
Amos

Intriguing Project

Fabujule

Cannot argue with that.

After years of suspending doubt because i assume the GM has a lot more to work with when making his choices, it's refreshing to see picks appear to have value on day one. He didn't reach or trade down for those extra picks he wanted. He saw value and stayed with his board.