The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
why do people still fail to realize the Ds biggest problem was tucker? Fangio with the exact same personnel last year likely has a top 10 unit.

the new staff probably watched the tape, evaluated the roster and was like wtf?

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
If anyone has issues with this draft......Please for the love of God, look up Phil Emery's first draft.....just staring at it now a few years later I want to puke.

1 - #19 Shea Mcclellin
2 - #45 Alshon Jeffery - only good pick and that was a trade up
3 - #79 Brandin Hardin - guy never even played a down with us
4 - #111 Evan Rodriguez - Cut from the team the next year for incident with cops and gun ? mind you he was a h-back/TE combo
5 - #184 Isaiah Frey - he might be bagging groceries at the Foodtown
6 - #220 - Grey Mccoy - who ?

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
If anyone has issues with this draft......Please for the love of God, look up Phil Emery's first draft.....just staring at it now a few years later I want to puke.

1 - #19 Shea Mcclellin
2 - #45 Alshon Jeffery - only good pick and that was a trade up
3 - #79 Brandin Hardin - guy never even played a down with us
4 - #111 Evan Rodriguez - Cut from the team the next year for incident with cops and gun ? mind you he was a h-back/TE combo
5 - #184 Isaiah Frey - he might be bagging groceries at the Foodtown
6 - #220 - Grey Mccoy - who ?

Wow. If he hadn't moved up for Jeffery, that might be one of the worst drafts in history.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
This is the first draft that I've been excited over in years. He brought up the level of the whole team while implying the long term view towards the future that championship franchises extol. I'm quite happy.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
why do people still fail to realize the Ds biggest problem was tucker? Fangio with the exact same personnel last year likely has a top 10 unit.

I think most realized Tucker was garbage from day one.

ghost_of_halas

Liked Posts:
I was not happy with the Langford pick up with TJ Clemmings still on the board. We have a need at upgrading the right tackle and he fits the mold not with characteristics to slide to left tackle with some experience. The facr that he went to Minnesota 4 picks later compounded my annoyance. But what do I know. Langford could be the next big thing. I will reserve my judgement for 3 years or so.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
and that has what to do with my post?

I agree with letting the D talent breath with competent scheme and coaching and then assessing what the Bears need.

For all we know Willie Young is health, gets another 10+ sacks and the Bears do not need Vic Beasley.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
this is the first draft in i don't know how long that hasn't had a "what the fuck?" pick for me. emery seemed to have a gift for reaches. last year it was ego ferguson, who i thought was a 5th round prospect. the year before was bostic who i wouldn't have touched until the 4th. and obviously mclellin who going into the draft i thought was a 3rd round pick and only had value to 3-4 teams.

this year? white was my 5th best prospect in this draft. goldman i thought was at worst a late 1st. grasu i thought was a solid 3rd rounder only because center's just don't go early but he's one of my favorite o-line prospects in this class and i believe he's a super safe pick who could end up starting from day 1.

i'm a big fan of langford, had him in the 3rd. and amos i like as well as a special teamer and defensive role player. he's one of the best cover safeties in this whole class(though he's not much of a run defender). again, no problem with him in the 5th round. seems like the kind of guy emery would have taken in the 3rd.

obviously, i've been way off before (didn't love jeffery coming out of college) and we won't know for a long time wether or not this class turns out to be successful, but personally i think this draft caps what has been an incredible off-season for the bears. 6 months ago this organization was in utter shambles. they've hired a young up and coming GM(who's name i heard repeatedly in reference to the saints and how big a loss he was for them) a proven, veteran head coach, one of the 3 best defensive coordinator's in the NFL and a "hot shot" offensive coordinator who was on just about everybody's head coaching short list.

they played the free agency game perfectly, going hard after a couple guys and then patiently plucking great value in the 2nd and 3rd phases. i really feel like this team is going in the right direction. obviously emery and trestman's mistakes can't all be corrected in one off-season, but i believe the bears have a competitive roster and the coaching staff to facilitate a turn around. not saying super bowl, or even play-offs, but a team that will not be getting embarrassed on a weekly basis. i can't wait for fall.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
we are not one step closer to fixing our QB problem.
Saints and Packers have HOF QB's and they draft QBs.
we should of at the very least traded out of pick 7 so we had more ammo to draft a top QB next year.
our biggest problem, didn't get addressed once again........new GM same old shit.

Well, if you want to fix a QB problem through the draft, this isn't the year. There is not one QB in this draft that is likely to be a star. And many who have no business in the NFL. No way fo you fix a QB problem this year. Can't blame a GM for that.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, if you want to fix a QB problem through the draft, this isn't the year. There is not one QB in this draft that is likely to be a star. And many who have no business in the NFL. No way fo you fix a QB problem this year. Can't blame a GM for that.

I can blame a GM for that, but it is Emery, not Pace. The only thing that it looks like Pace went wrong with Cutler this year so far was he obviously was really pushing Cutler on Tennessee for a trade in round one. He may have just pressed too hard and drove Tennessee nuts. Finally Tennessee came out and said we are open to trades but we don't want Jay Cutler. This has to add just further humiliation for our quarterback to know that the GM is doing everything he can to get rid of him till the point where the other team comes out and says we don't want Cutler.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Lol, yes, Tucker sucked and Fangio is a huge upgrade.

But let's be honest here, last season our D had bottom-5 personnel. Fangio perhaps would have upgraded that unit to bottom-10, but not even a whiff of top-10 IMO.

While we have made some nice upgrades on D, this will take another year or two to stock the roster with quality started plus depth. We will still have a below average D in 2015, but at least we are trending up. Patience, grasshopper.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can blame a GM for that, but it is Emery, not Pace. The only thing that it looks like Pace went wrong with Cutler this year so far was he obviously was really pushing Cutler on Tennessee for a trade in round one. He may have just pressed too hard and drove Tennessee nuts. Finally Tennessee came out and said we are open to trades but we don't want Jay Cutler. This has to add just further humiliation for our quarterback to know that the GM is doing everything he can to get rid of him till the point where the other team comes out and says we don't want Cutler.
LOL at that rationalization. Did you just watch Draft Day? We have yet to hear from a reliable source that Pace ever gave a serious offer to Tenn. Knowing how Jay dealt with McDaniels, if I were another NFC North team, I'd start that rumor, LOL.

If he didn't want Jay, we could have just said goodbye. He didn't guarantee him $25m just to trade him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol, yes, Tucker sucked and Fangio is a huge upgrade.

But let's be honest here, last season our D had bottom-5 personnel. Fangio perhaps would have upgraded that unit to bottom-10, but not even a whiff of top-10 IMO.

While we have made some nice upgrades on D, this will take another year or two to stock the roster with quality started plus depth. We will still have a below average D in 2015, but at least we are trending up. Patience, grasshopper.

I expect to be top 1/2. Having an O that can actually hold the ball a bit will help a lot.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
A reminder that the. Bears can't fix everything in one draft.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

Maybe in the end Emery did Pace a favor with Culter. If Emery hadn't given Culter that contract, Pace would have been more free (and more expected) to move up and draft Mariota and we would be pulling our hair out for the next couple years, still wanting a stud QB. With Culter's contract as it is, Pace can shrug and say, well guys, I did what I could, we'll have to wait till next year, where there will be better prospects anyway. :shrug:

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at that rationalization. Did you just watch Draft Day? We have yet to hear from a reliable source that Pace ever gave a serious offer to Tenn. Knowing how Jay dealt with McDaniels, if I were another NFC North team, I'd start that rumor, LOL.

If he didn't want Jay, we could have just said goodbye. He didn't guarantee him $25m just to trade him.

As much as I hate ESPN, the guys on there made it quite clear that the Bears were trying to move Cutler to Tennessee before the draft. It was reported all over. You might live in a cave. Here is a link:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...e-titans-for-1st-round-trade-jay-cutler-trade

Outright releasing Cutler was NEVER an option, don't know where you got that idea from. Oh to save 2016 money, lol, how about the 16 million you are paying him this year.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe in the end Emery did Pace a favor with Culter. If Emery hadn't given Culter that contract, Pace would have been more free (and more expected) to move up and draft Mariota and we would be pulling our hair out for the next couple years, still wanting a stud QB. With Culter's contract as it is, Pace can shrug and say, well guys, I did what I could, we'll have to wait till next year, where there will be better prospects anyway. :shrug:

There was no favor being done for Pace by Emery signing Cutler. That was one of the worst signings in the history of the NFL. He handed Pace his biggest problem, not a favor at all.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Well after trolling a bit the other night I have to say w/e. Imo the only upgrades that = wins we got were the #2 pick this year. Here's to building for 2021

Dimebag would weep at your posts if he were still alive

Newblood

Liked Posts:
There was no favor being done for Pace by Emery signing Cutler. That was one of the worst signings in the history of the NFL. He handed Pace his biggest problem, not a favor at all.

Even if Pace didn't have to deal with Cutler, there wasn't a high chance he could have fixed the QB position long term with this year's FA or draft. You can say Mariota is the guy, but chances are he is nothing more than a solid starter. Hundley, Grayson and Petty were obviously not thought of that highly with this organization or they would have jumped on them when they had the chance.

So once again, if Culter wasn't his problem, he more than likely would have felt more compelled to draft one of these guys that he appeared to not be that thrilled with. And possibly delaying the Bears finding their stud QB for another 2-3 years instead of delaying it till next year.

Obviously I'm just speculating and drawing conclusions. It was just a thought. I know trying to draw anything Culter in a positive light will causes your sphincter to spasm uncontrollably, but try not to freak out.