The First Ryan Pace Draft [Thoughts and Observations]

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If Grayson were available in the 3rd round, I think the Bears might have looked in that direction. I think he was easily the 3rd best prospect in this draft. Other than that, didn't really like anyone else.

EDIT: Sorry he was taken in the 3rd.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Basically this looks like pace's attempt to clean up emery's mess from the last 12 months:

Wr in round 1....to replace a vet wr that emery extended long term

Dt in round 2.....to replace the 2 dt emery drafted last year in rounds 3+4

C in round 3.....to replace emery doing nothing but continuing to resign Garza

Rb in round 4....to compete or replace the Rb emery drafted in r4 last year

S in round 5....to compeye or replace the s emery drafted in r4 last year

Ol project in r6.....to compete replace the 5th round pick from 3 years ago and -or the projects emery signed last year.

basically what it signals to me is that pace doesn't think too highly of any of emerys picks from last year.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
we are not one step closer to fixing our QB problem.
Saints and Packers have HOF QB's and they draft QBs.
we should of at the very least traded out of pick 7 so we had more ammo to draft a top QB next year.
our biggest problem, didn't get addressed once again........new GM same old shit.

So would you prefer that we waste a pick on a QB just to draft one like we have done some many times in the past. That is a terrible philosophy and just leads to the team having sub par depth. I am fine with drafting one in the later rounds if you truly think he can become something, but I don't think wasting picks in any round is smart.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Maybe a bit over the top, but I think it's safe to say that Pace sees the mess he inherited. You should always have a center - they still have to work on that, but it should be refreshing to have at least one. De La Peunte should be fine as a backup, but they need to develop someone there. I think there have been too many nights at Gibson's. Do your job.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think this draft looks a lot like a draft that a 1st time GM would make if he's taking over a storied franchise that just fired a GM after 3 years. Everything Pace has done has been very safe. From hiring John Fox, to his FA signings, to this draft. Pace had a chance to hire the next big thing in coaching. He had a chance to get a guy that's going to be the next Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, etc. But he hired a coach that's over 60, has never won, but will likely have this team playing respectable to good (not great) football. He had the chance to make a big splash in free agency, but he chose to spend on short term contracts and on very few household names. He also traded veterans who had some pull in the lockerroom in Marshall and Garza. He had a chance to make a huge splash in the draft by taking an undersized, dynamic edge rusher or players with tremendous upside but some off-field issues. Instead he picked safe players, most of whom don't have superstar upside.

That being said, I'M PERFECTLY FINE WITH IT. I think it's pretty clear Pace is took a cautious approach to this offseason. The last GM got fired in part because he made too many outside the box, risky picks, that didn't pan out (entire 1st draft other than Jeffery, Bostic) and signed too many high priced FAs that didn't live up to their cap hit (Allen, Cutler). Angelo had a similar approach that didn't work. So, it's actually kind of refreshing to see someone take a modest approach and realize you don't have to prove you're the smartest in the room with every pick. It's probably not what I would have done, but it's a solid draft and this type of approach will likely lead to fewer busts and below average players on the roster in the short and long term.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Maybe a bit over the top, but I think it's safe to say that Pace sees the mess he inherited. You should always have a center - they still have to work on that, but it should be refreshing to have at least one. De La Peunte should be fine as a backup, but they need to develop someone there. I think there have been too many nights at Gibson's. Do your job.

I think dlp will be key to thr team next year.....same with marshall, conte, briggs, garza, tillman, hester and mccown.....should be fun to watch their leadership

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
So would you prefer that we waste a pick on a QB just to draft one like we have done some many times in the past. That is a terrible philosophy and just leads to the team having sub par depth. I am fine with drafting one in the later rounds if you truly think he can become something, but I don't think wasting picks in any round is smart.

when was the last time we spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB?
and did you miss the part about how the greatest dynasty in our life time does it every other year? but what the fuck do the pats know.
we are never gonna find the next Russel Wilson if we don't atleast try once every 10 years or so.
For Fuck sakes, even the Packers traded up for Hudley, but what do they know about building a championship team.
your philosophy of never drafting a QB is the exact opposite of what championship teams do.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I think this draft looks a lot like a draft that a 1st time GM would make if he's taking over a storied franchise that just fired a GM after 3 years. Everything Pace has done has been very safe. From hiring John Fox, to his FA signings, to this draft. Pace had a chance to hire the next big thing in coaching. He had a chance to get a guy that's going to be the next Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, etc. But he hired a coach that's over 60, has never won, but will likely have this team playing respectable to good (not great) football. He had the chance to make a big splash in free agency, but he chose to spend on short term contracts and on very few household names. He also traded veterans who had some pull in the lockerroom in Marshall and Garza. He had a chance to make a huge splash in the draft by taking an undersized, dynamic edge rusher or players with tremendous upside but some off-field issues. Instead he picked safe players, most of whom don't have superstar upside.

That being said, I'M PERFECTLY FINE WITH IT. I think it's pretty clear Pace is took a cautious approach to this offseason. The last GM got fired in part because he made too many outside the box, risky picks, that didn't pan out (entire 1st draft other than Jeffery, Bostic) and signed too many high priced FAs that didn't live up to their cap hit (Allen, Cutler). Angelo had a similar approach that didn't work. So, it's actually kind of refreshing to see someone take a modest approach and realize you don't have to prove you're the smartest in the room with every pick. It's probably not what I would have done, but it's a solid draft and this type of approach will likely lead to fewer busts and below average players on the roster in the short and long term.

I'm going to leave the "coach who has never won" thing alone because it's just a BS crutch for people who don't like Fox.

But in terms of not taking alayers with super star upside, white has immense super star upside and Goldman has a chance to be a star as well. After the second round you don't usually find guys who have super star upside to begin with. That's why they fall past the top 2-3 rounds.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
when was the last time we spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB?
and did you miss the part about how the greatest dynasty in our life time does it every other year? but what the fuck do the pats know.
we are never gonna find the next Russel Wilson if we don't atleast try once every 10 years or so.
For Fuck sakes, even the Packers traded up for Hudley, but what do they know about building a championship team.
your philosophy of never drafting a QB is the exact opposite of what championship teams do.

I just don't think it's the year. Hopefully they just didn't want to invest much in Petty or Hundley. If they draft a qb, I'd want them to take it seriously. We've had enough token qbs. It will be better next year and they should have someone under Cutler for a year.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
I get that its tuff. but when was the last time we even took a chance on a 3rd rounder?
the Pats take a QB every other year, just in case, because it is the most important position on the team.
the Packers and saints just did the same. even the rams took a QB and I would much rather have Foles over Cutler.
Pace talked the talk about the Qb position, but he did absolutely nothing to fix it.

You think the Patriots, Packers and Saints can afford paying a journeymen QB ? mid/late rd. rookies are cheap for them.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone knew who Wilson was when he had success at Wisconsin. He's still the same player, but Carroll coaches to it. He's still limited by his size and arm, but he's smart and knows his limitations. He's just a great football player. Now I feel ill.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm going to leave the "coach who has never won" thing alone because it's just a BS crutch for people who don't like Fox.

But in terms of not taking alayers with super star upside, white has immense super star upside and Goldman has a chance to be a star as well. After the second round you don't usually find guys who have super star upside to begin with. That's why they fall past the top 2-3 rounds.

The point of my post was to lead the reader to think I was unhappy with the moves, when it's just the opposite. I didn't love the Fox hire, but it's impossible to hate the move. He's had playoff teams wherever he's been, and he's taken bad teams to good very quickly. Hell, Fox was worth the hire simply for his pull to get Fangio, Gase, and FAs that want to play for him.

As for the superstar thing, yes White does have superstar potential. It's pretty much impossible to draft a guy that doesn't have stud potential in the top 7 (Washington). But I was talking about every other pick. My point was, he could have gone after huge boom/bust guys like Dupree, Harold, etc. or after risky talent like PJ Williams and Gregory. But he didn't. The last 2 guys were trying to find stars instead of trying to just get the best player available.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The point of my post was to lead the reader to think I was unhappy with the moves, when it's just the opposite. I didn't love the Fox hire, but it's impossible to hate the move. He's had playoff teams wherever he's been, and he's taken bad teams to good very quickly. Hell, Fox was worth the hire simply for his pull to get Fangio, Gase, and FAs that want to play for him.

As for the superstar thing, yes White does have superstar potential. It's pretty much impossible to draft a guy that doesn't have stud potential in the top 7 (Washington). But I was talking about every other pick. My point was, he could have gone after huge boom/bust guys like Dupree, Harold, etc. or after risky talent like PJ Williams and Gregory. But he didn't. The last 2 guys were trying to find stars instead of trying to just get the best player available.

White does have superstar potential. He doesn't have to do it with smoke and mirrors. He's strong and a bit of a nightmare with single coverage. This is a strong guy and he can run. Hard to see him as a bust. I think the top 3 are really solid.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My draft grade is an A, I see 3 starters for years to come. Now let's see what kind of undrafted guys we can get.

I agree. The top three picks should start, if not from Day One, very soon afterward. And for a long time. I love Alshon, but unlike many here, I do not see him as a #1. When I read a scout say "Kevin White is Aj Green, and when you can draft AJ Green you draft him." I certainly don't question that pick.

As for the 4th trough the 6th, we shall see. It's unfair to expect a GM to get starters with every pick. Langford seems like a good pick, if underwhelming. The safety? I have seen good and bad written about him, which is to be expected at that point in the draft. I like his size and speed.

The OT/OG is clearly a project, but what do we expect in the 6th? Guys who are guaranteed to play are Top 15 picks.

I grade Pace's first draft an A or A-. But I have been an easy grader in recent years. I liked Emery's drafts, and they wound up pretty poor.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
You think the Patriots, Packers and Saints can afford paying a journeymen QB ? mid/late rd. rookies are cheap for them.

maybe you should do some cap research, before you chime in stupidity.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
Basically this looks like pace's attempt to clean up emery's mess from the last 12 months:

Wr in round 1....to replace a vet wr that emery extended long term

Dt in round 2.....to replace the 2 dt emery drafted last year in rounds 3+4

C in round 3.....to replace emery doing nothing but continuing to resign Garza

Rb in round 4....to compete or replace the Rb emery drafted in r4 last year

S in round 5....to compete or replace the s emery drafted in r4 last year

Ol project in r6.....to compete replace the 5th round pick from 3 years ago and -or the projects emery signed last year.

basically what it signals to me is that pace doesn't think too highly of any of emerys picks from last year.

This draft did remind me a lot of 2014 draft ( which everyone here applauded, at the time. )

I was interested in seeing the type of players they drafted. I am happy they went with size on both OL/DL, and speed @ the skill positions. Anxious to see the O & D systems in place to really comment on everyone fits into it.

Was happy with both the D players they drafted, don't blame them wanting to wait a year to see how the pieces fit together in D, Expect that to have a bigger change than the offense. We already hit rock bottom the last 2 years, the coaching change alone should make it middle of the road.

Excited to see White play, should be able to take the top off defenses ( along with Royal ). Langford is more a true change-of-pace, 3rd down back. Has speed and some wiggle. They need a fullback, Forte is a big back that plays small.

Was hoping they would pick up a RT. that could also play LT, but can't have everything. Don't mind picking up a " project " with some promise, hell, Mills was a project when they drafted him and he started his 1st year. C was a dire need and with the converted OT coming off the board they took the best available C.