The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
See, people can have what ever opinion they want of Baez. They could be absolutely right in the end. What twist my nipple is the flip flop. The guy who wrote the article I have read his stuff before and he was on the Baez train. He comes up to the majors and does almost exactly what I and many other thought he would do. Strikeout a ton and hit homers. I mean I truly expected his K rate to be around here when he was coming up. To me, that says either you never actually watched Baez in the minors or you change your mind with the change in the wind. I think the Cubs fully expected it as well, hence, why they pulled the trigger to call him up. There was really no reason to call him up besides they wanted to start his learning process earlier. Either way, its no big deal cause I know its what he does for a living and you need those hits for a website.

I dont think Baez goes anywhere and he is our opening day 2nd baseman barring unusual circumstances. I still think the Cubs are at least a year away from making any big trades.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I could see the Cubs trading Baez if it got them an elite young talent. Who would that be? No idea, but I don't think Baez is untouchable. Just that it would require someone who a team probably wouldn't be willing to trade

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
See, people can have what ever opinion they want of Baez. They could be absolutely right in the end. What twist my nipple is the flip flop. The guy who wrote the article I have read his stuff before and he was on the Baez train. He comes up to the majors and does almost exactly what I and many other thought he would do. Strikeout a ton and hit homers. I mean I truly expected his K rate to be around here when he was coming up. To me, that says either you never actually watched Baez in the minors or you change your mind with the change in the wind. I think the Cubs fully expected it as well, hence, why they pulled the trigger to call him up. There was really no reason to call him up besides they wanted to start his learning process earlier. Either way, its no big deal cause I know its what he does for a living and you need those hits for a website.

I dont think Baez goes anywhere and he is our opening day 2nd baseman barring unusual circumstances. I still think the Cubs are at least a year away from making any big trades.

I can understand your issue with the flip flop nature. Personally, I mentioned my large concern even prior to the season with the expectation he'd improve in AAA with his k rate. Obviously that didn't happen. That being said, Baez has struck out the most of any player since 1900 in 200 PAs in the majors and it's by a decent margin. Coincidentally Olt at 38.8% IIRC would be #2 on that list. To ignore that is frankly being oblivious. I'm sure many people knew he would strike out but when you're the worst in 115 years at it that's saying something entirely different. Ultimately, we're all fans and it's easy to believe your teams players will defy the odds. While it may be flip floppy from his perspective, I think Baez's call up woke some people up from that.

Where it becomes troubling is when you compare what Baez did in the majors to what Brett Jackson did. Any reasonable fan wasn't expecting Baez to come up and dominate and it irks me that people act as though that's always the issue people have with him. When you see him putting up a line quite similar to what Brett Jackson did again I think that you'd have to be oblivious to ignore that. Obviously he's not Jackson. But both have IIRC identical 41.5% K rates in the majors. K's are one of the things that ultimately killed Jackson with the cubs.

To me it really doesn't matter if he makes it or not. My stance is about making the proper decision at the time. Prior to 2013, the proper move would have been to trade Brett Jackson assuming you were able to get appropriate value. That amount will very person to person but for me in regard to Baez it's around a 4 fWAR player who is in a similar age range to Rizzo/Castro. Baez's top end could possibly be in the 4.5-5 range realistically but at 4 WAR you're getting a known quantity vs the hope of Baez being a super star. That's why I never understood the Price talk. It's why I don't really think Hamels makes a ton of sense as both are outside that age range. On the contrary, if Strasburg or Heyward is in fact available I feel they are significantly safer players and are young enough to be within Castro/Rizzo's "window."

The reason I think this decision is now and not in say June is that 200 PAs for a 21 year old is something teams can overlook for reasons you've stated. However, by june that honeymoon period is gone. If he's still hitting at this level then he'll be as irrelevant as Jackson became. Expecting someone with the worst K rate in 115 years to improve enough to be relevant in an offseason and say 3 months of play isn't logic. It's gambling. If your options are say a 2 fWAR player or gambling then sure you take that gamble. At 3 it because a bit more fuzzy. At 4 I'm personally comfortable at pulling the trigger and taking the more sure player. Given the amount of trades I've looked through it's fairly rare to do poorly as the team trading for the established player. When that does happen it typically involves the team acquiring a player who was already at his peak or slightly on the decline or in a case like Garciapara a younger player who just had injuries mount on him. Again I'll point to the Cardinals and to an extent the pre-2000's yankees. The yankees depleted their farm system year after year to bring in talented players like Mussina and Cone among others. The cardinals have always been aggressive getting players like McGwire, Rolen, Holliday, and Edmonds for prospects. Them getting Pujols was just icing on the cake as many of those names had already made those teams quite good.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Had Baez absolutely raked in Iowa (much like Oscar Taveras did in AAA) this year with a very good drop in SO's, then I could see the Cubs flipping him because of his HUGE potential, and that some teams may excuse some of his apparent issues.

I am not sure he warrants a trade at the moment, and they may just have another year to see if he can beef up his stats and drop some of the SO's to increase the value if indeed he is something they look to utilize via the trade. He is young, but he also has glaring issues.

Now, a lot of that can be excused on the Cubs part if he is hidden somewhere in the line-up. Nothing wrong with having a 7th hitter in the line-up banging out 25-30 HR's, especially if he provides adequate defense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Baez, Alcantara, Soler, Russell, and Bryant

WILL NOT BE TRADED THIS OFF SEASON

Seriously, their not going to reach the top steps of rebuilding their system only to trade off their best prospects before they really get started and fall back down those stairs again with the system.

I find it really funny that back in July, Baez was the cant miss future everyone couldn't wait to see and now some of you are looking to bounce him after what 100 ABs..lol

Ive said it 100 times, trades wise this off season the biggest names will probably be jackson and or wood.. Via FA , they will go after a starter or two and probably a LFer and that will be their major moves this off season.

Next off season we may see major deals as they see how things sort themselves out during season with position players.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Had Baez absolutely raked in Iowa (much like Oscar Taveras did in AAA) this year with a very good drop in SO's, then I could see the Cubs flipping him because of his HUGE potential, and that some teams may excuse some of his apparent issues.

I am not sure he warrants a trade at the moment, and they may just have another year to see if he can beef up his stats and drop some of the SO's to increase the value if indeed he is something they look to utilize via the trade. He is young, but he also has glaring issues.

Now, a lot of that can be excused on the Cubs part if he is hidden somewhere in the line-up. Nothing wrong with having a 7th hitter in the line-up banging out 25-30 HR's, especially if he provides adequate defense.

I personally feel like that logic is backwards though. If Baez beefs up his stats you're probably talking about someone you want to keep. To me the reason you would trade him is you worry about his K rate being something he wont overcome and you get what value you can before it goes tits up. If that were the idea surely they would have just let him destroy AAA pitching rather than promote him early.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Baez, Alcantara, Soler, Russell, and Bryant

WILL NOT BE TRADED THIS OFF SEASON

Seriously, their not going to reach the top steps of rebuilding their system only to trade off their best prospects before they really get started and fall back down those stairs again with the system.

I find it really funny that back in July, Baez was the cant miss future everyone couldn't wait to see and now some of you are looking to bounce him after what 100 ABs..lol

Ive said it 100 times, trades wise this off season the biggest names will probably be jackson and or wood.. Via FA , they will go after a starter or two and probably a LFer and that will be their major moves this off season.

Next off season we may see major deals as they see how things sort themselves out during season with position players.

Opinions man. As for being can't miss in July, I can dig up exactly what I said in January if you'd like and it hasn't changed other than the fact I thought he would progress some with regard to his K rate in AAA which didn't happen. I'd also ask why the negative connotation with trading these players? If they net you a young all star player isn't that sort of the point in developing talent? It's currency. Prospects are "maybes." Players in the majors aren't.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Opinions man. As for being can't miss in July, I can dig up exactly what I said in January if you'd like and it hasn't changed other than the fact I thought he would progress some with regard to his K rate in AAA which didn't happen. I'd also ask why the negative connotation with trading these players? If they net you a young all star player isn't that sort of the point in developing talent? It's currency. Prospects are "maybes." Players in the majors aren't.

Of course its my opinion. ..

Why the negative connotations with these players ?

Besides Russell til they traded for him, these are the guys they've been counting on to get the major league team going again as a core with Castro and Rizzo and I just dont see them trading these guys off before they even had a real chance of playing together..

What team is going to give up a young allstar caliber player for.... using your words, a maybe prospect ?

I mean think about it.. if these 20-21 YO kids are good enough for a team to give up on a young AS caliber player.. then wouldn't you wanna hold onto them yourself ?

Dont get me wrong, im not saying prospects shouldn't or wont get traded... just saying these guys in particular, im 99.999% positive that the cubs wont trade them this off season

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Of course its my opinion. ..

Why the negative connotations with these players ?

Besides Russell til they traded for him, these are the guys they've been counting on to get the major league team going again as a core with Castro and Rizzo and I just dont see them trading these guys off before they even had a real chance of playing together..

What team is going to give up a young allstar caliber player for.... using your words, a maybe prospect ?

I mean think about it.. if these 20-21 YO kids are good enough for a team to give up on a young AS caliber player.. then wouldn't you wanna hold onto them yourself ?

Dont get me wrong, im not saying prospects shouldn't or wont get traded... just saying these guys in particular, im 99.999% positive that the cubs wont trade them this off season

Just mean the cliche that opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

As for the trade part, fans have been counting on them getting to the majors. I'll be clear about this as well. If you go back and look at what I've said I've always said that you develop players as currency to trade for proven major league players back when the "fun" group was still talking about this being the worst team since the 2003 detroit tigers. For whatever reason, it seems like there's always been two groups of people here. Those that are all on the prospect train and those who've suggested FA was the route. I've always suggested that FA is for complementary players and that prospects are best used as trade currency. Sure you'll keep some of the players they have but the simple fact is anyone with reason knows all of these players aren't going to work out. That's not news. And surely the cubs with all their access have a pretty good idea which they believe will. They are never going to come out and say yeah we're going to trade Baez or any other prospect because it would kill their leverage.

In reference to the question about young all stars do I really have to go through a list? Off the top of my head...
January 24, 2013 - 25 year old Justin Upton with Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves for Brandon Drury (minors), Nick Ahmed, Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and Zeke Spruill.
December 17, 2011: 24 year old Mat Latos for Yonder Alonso, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal and Edinson Volquez.
December 23, 2011: 26 year old Gio Gonzalez with Robert Gilliam (minors) to the Washington Nationals for A.J. Cole (minors), Tommy Milone, Derek Norris and Brad Peacock.
December 14, 2007: 26 year old Dan Haren with Connor Robertson to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith.
December 9, 2011: 24 year old Trevor Cahill with Craig Breslow and cash to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Ryan Cook, Collin Cowgill and Jarrod Parker.
November 10, 2008: 28 year old Matt Holliday for Carlos Gonzalez, Greg Smith and Huston Street.
December 4, 2007: 25 year old Miggy Cabrera with 26 year old Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.
December 6, 2010: 29 year old Adrian Gonzalez to the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named later, Reymond Fuentes, Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo. The Boston Red Sox sent Eric Patterson (December 16, 2010) to the San Diego Padres to complete the trade.
July 25, 2012: 28 year old Hanley Ramirez with Randy Choate to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Scott McGough (minors) and Nathan Eovaldi.
December 8, 2009: 29 year old Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees. The Detroit Tigers sent Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers. The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.
July 31, 2007: 28 year old Mark Teixeira with Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for Beau Jones (minors), Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

And that's just off the top of my head in the past 10 years. There's numerous reasons "why" it happens. Generally happens to be a team that can't pay their players and want to deal them before they hit FA. As this pertains to 2015, that's exactly the reason that speculation is one of Justin Upton and Jason Heyward will be traded. Either way, the "why" it happens isn't important. The fact that it often does and the cubs are in position to take advantage is what matters. Maybe 2015 will a lot like last year's hot stove where the "big" trades were lessor names like Trumbo. It's far to early to say what teams certainly will do. However, you're generally talking about one of these types of trade per year for a soon to be 29 or younger player.

Also, why the negative connotation on the players? It has nothing to do with them individually. It's the fact that prospects fail.... often. Javier Baez could be the second coming of Miggy Cabrera for all anyone knows. That's not the point. The point is 70% of the top 100 prospects end up being below average major league players. And even if you want to include just top 10 prospects it's something like a coin flip. Call me crazy but I'd prefer to take known quantities over gambling on prospects. Part of the problem teams like KC and Pitt have long had is that they are the ones on the opposite side of trading their young players they can't afford and instead have tried to develop within. So you see stars like ARAM and Carlos Beltran leaving those teams and they are back to hoping for prospects to pan out. Unless you're exceedingly good at development which few teams have been historically it's a slanted game.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I'm sure beckdawg knows more than the Cubs scouts. If only the Cubs brass was reading his messages.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Do we really have to suffer through the trade Baez posts all off-season?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

As for the trade part, fans have been counting on them getting to the majors. I'll be clear about this as well. If you go back and look at what I've said I've always said that you develop players as currency to trade for proven major league players back when the "fun" group was still talking about this being the worst team since the 2003 detroit tigers. For whatever reason, it seems like there's always been two groups of people here. Those that are all on the prospect train and those who've suggested FA was the route. I've always suggested that FA is for complementary players and that prospects are best used as trade currency. Sure you'll keep some of the players they have but the simple fact is anyone with reason knows all of these players aren't going to work out. That's not news. And surely the cubs with all their access have a pretty good idea which they believe will. They are never going to come out and say yeah we're going to trade Baez or any other prospect because it would kill their leverage.

In reference to the question about young all stars do I really have to go through a list? Off the top of my head...
January 24, 2013 - 25 year old Justin Upton with Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves for Brandon Drury (minors), Nick Ahmed, Randall Delgado, Martin Prado and Zeke Spruill.
December 17, 2011: 24 year old Mat Latos for Yonder Alonso, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal and Edinson Volquez.
December 23, 2011: 26 year old Gio Gonzalez with Robert Gilliam (minors) to the Washington Nationals for A.J. Cole (minors), Tommy Milone, Derek Norris and Brad Peacock.
December 14, 2007: 26 year old Dan Haren with Connor Robertson to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Brett Anderson, Chris Carter, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith.
December 9, 2011: 24 year old Trevor Cahill with Craig Breslow and cash to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Ryan Cook, Collin Cowgill and Jarrod Parker.
November 10, 2008: 28 year old Matt Holliday for Carlos Gonzalez, Greg Smith and Huston Street.
December 4, 2007: 25 year old Miggy Cabrera with 26 year old Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.
December 6, 2010: 29 year old Adrian Gonzalez to the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named later, Reymond Fuentes, Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo. The Boston Red Sox sent Eric Patterson (December 16, 2010) to the San Diego Padres to complete the trade.
July 25, 2012: 28 year old Hanley Ramirez with Randy Choate to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Scott McGough (minors) and Nathan Eovaldi.
December 8, 2009: 29 year old Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees. The Detroit Tigers sent Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers. The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.
July 31, 2007: 28 year old Mark Teixeira with Ron Mahay to the Atlanta Braves for Beau Jones (minors), Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

And that's just off the top of my head in the past 10 years. There's numerous reasons "why" it happens. Generally happens to be a team that can't pay their players and want to deal them before they hit FA. As this pertains to 2015, that's exactly the reason that speculation is one of Justin Upton and Jason Heyward will be traded. Either way, the "why" it happens isn't important. The fact that it often does and the cubs are in position to take advantage is what matters. Maybe 2015 will a lot like last year's hot stove where the "big" trades were lessor names like Trumbo. It's far to early to say what teams certainly will do. However, you're generally talking about one of these types of trade per year for a soon to be 29 or younger player.

Also, why the negative connotation on the players? It has nothing to do with them individually. It's the fact that prospects fail.... often. Javier Baez could be the second coming of Miggy Cabrera for all anyone knows. That's not the point. The point is 70% of the top 100 prospects end up being below average major league players. And even if you want to include just top 10 prospects it's something like a coin flip. Call me crazy but I'd prefer to take known quantities over gambling on prospects. Part of the problem teams like KC and Pitt have long had is that they are the ones on the opposite side of trading their young players they can't afford and instead have tried to develop within. So you see stars like ARAM and Carlos Beltran leaving those teams and they are back to hoping for prospects to pan out. Unless you're exceedingly good at development which few teams have been historically it's a slanted game.
I agree with whole heartedly with you about developing players and using them as trade bait, I just dont feel at this time or with those specific players the cubs are ready or willing to move forward without them yet.

I wasn't questioning that there weren't young caliber AS out there, just to why would a team want to trade away a proven 24-27 YO for an unknown. ..

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
No one is going to be traded until we see a competitive team and need to fill a hole in the rotation or in the lineup. If we are to build correctly it would be asinine to trade anyone until we know what kind of an asset they are. Outside any other team being stupid and giving us a steal, it just isn't happening unless we are in contention for something.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

this

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I personally feel like that logic is backwards though. If Baez beefs up his stats you're probably talking about someone you want to keep. To me the reason you would trade him is you worry about his K rate being something he wont overcome and you get what value you can before it goes tits up. If that were the idea surely they would have just let him destroy AAA pitching rather than promote him early.

Not necessarily. Right now, his trade value isn't high to me other than his still projected status which suffered because he failed miserably in his first go around, albeit a sample size.

If he gets his SO's to lets say in the 130-140 range, and raises his average to .245ish, he will have shown a lot of progression and there in lays the once again good ball player even though the Cubs may indeed feel that he will never get much better than those numbers. If he does, they would probably end up on the short end of the stick.

But that is the chance you take.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Are we really going to the point where you can't question anything a team does because they "know more than you do?" Come on man...

Nope I'm just fucking sick of all the doomsday predictions around here regarding the youngest fucking player in MLB.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. Right now, his trade value isn't high to me other than his still projected status which suffered because he failed miserably in his first go around, albeit a sample size.

If he gets his SO's to lets say in the 130-140 range, and raises his average to .245ish, he will have shown a lot of progression and there in lays the once again good ball player even though the Cubs may indeed feel that he will never get much better than those numbers. If he does, they would probably end up on the short end of the stick.

But that is the chance you take.

600 AB's 30% is 180 SO's. That is a realistic target year 1. 240 is 40%. That is what he was running this year over a season.