The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Att/game is at 32,706 right now. Last years avg 32,626. Ended up at 26,42,682

2012 avg 35,590 total 28,882,756
2011 37,259 total 3,017,966

That has to be a big motivation going forward of picking up attendance. They are on pace to hit 2.7 mil at best and I'll bet they are trying to get a spike up to 2.8 by adding some top prospects.

If you look at it there is no reason to promote him this year and to start his clock unless they are trying to boost attendance.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I'm going Friday but I already had tickets before this announcement

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But sellouts????? Are there sellouts in IA?

Wasn't it a sell out the first day Alcantara promoted? If I recall they had a big surge and he wasn't even one of the core prospects.

I just believe after being spoon fed the wait for the prospects any taste will get them flocking in.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Att/game is at 32,706 right now. Last years avg 32,626. Ended up at 26,42,682

2012 avg 35,590 total 28,882,756
2011 37,259 total 3,017,966

That has to be a big motivation going forward of picking up attendance. They are on pace to hit 2.7 mil at best and I'll bet they are trying to get a spike up to 2.8 by adding some top prospects.

If you look at it there is no reason to promote him this year and to start his clock unless they are trying to boost attendance.

Unless....and this is really sneaky.....they know he takes a while to adjust, and they want to give him time to do so in a meaningless 2014, so he'll be more prepared for a meaningful 2015.

Those evil geniuses!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even ESPN is on the hype train

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/

Baez makes Cubs exciting -- and watchable
August, 4, 2014
AUG 4
2:39
PM CT
Greenberg By Jon Greenberg
ESPNChicago.com
Archive
30113COMMENTS48EMAILPRINT
Javier Baez
Cal Sport Media/AP Images
In the 20 games following the Triple-A All-Star break, Javier Baez hit .342 with nine homers and a 1.159 OPS.
When Chicago Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer met the media after trading infielder Emilio Bonifacio at the deadline last week, the giant middle infielder in the room was Javier Baez.

In the Wrigley Field lunchroom, reporters asked Hoyer if this move would presage the promotion of Baez, who has been tearing up Triple-A pitching after a slow start. It makes sense, right?

Hoyer first demurred at the question and talked about "whiteboarding" the organizational structure as if he was talking to the Harvard Business Review.

Then, realizing he was talking to sports writers, he reiterated the front office's most common talking point when it comes to prospects: You can't rush the maturing process due to outside events.

[+] EnlargeJavier Baez
AP Photo/Chris Carlson
Javier Baez has 76 home runs in 319 minor league games.
"We're not going to change our timetable on any of our prospects based on a moves we made at the big league level," Hoyer said. "When we feel like those guys are ready to contribute, we'll do that."

Call me crazy, but the 21-year-old Baez was ready to contribute on July 31, just as he'll be ready when he joins the Cubs on Aug. 5 in Denver. Once he began playing second base on July 17, his prospect clock was ticking.

While we knew Baez, barring injury, would be up this month, the news was met with great excitement when it was leaked Monday afternoon.

When is the last time Cubs fans had something to be excited about on the major league level?

This move, and the added meaning it represents, certainly qualifies as welcoming news for a fan base that has had to focus more on minor league updates than the daily drudgery of the major league team since president Theo Epstein started his teardown rebuilding project in 2012.

It's apropos that Baez, considered one of the top power-hitting prospects in the minors, hit two homers in his last game for Iowa.

Baez proved he wasn't ready for the majors when he struggled to start the Triple-A season. But he showed the kind of step-by-step adjustment the organization expects out of prospects when he hit .300 in July with 10 homers and a .345 on-base percentage. Nineteen of his 33 hits last month were for extra bases, giving him a .655 slugging percentage.

In the 20 games following the Triple-A All-Star break, he hit .342 with nine homers and a 1.159 OPS. Baez finished his four-year minor league career hitting .260 with 24 doubles, 23 homers and 80 RBIs for the Iowa Cubs.

In summation, he was ready.

The Cubs knew this but there was no rush, considering the only race they are in is for a top-five draft pick in 2015.

The Cubs obviously wanted to play Bonifacio, one of their few certain trade chips, before the deadline. Once he was dealt, I figured the Cubs would wait a few days, maybe a week or two, to bring up Baez.

Less than a week and here we go. After a three-game series in Denver, the Cubs return home for a weekend series against Tampa Bay starting Friday. Good seats still available.

The Cubs had already priced that series at the two highest levels, with Friday and Sunday at "marquee" pricing and Saturday one of eight scheduled "platinum" games. The cheapest tickets were going for about $35 on the secondary market when the news was announced, or $41.66 with tax on the Cubs' website.

SportsNation
Which Cubs prospect will turn out to be the best major league player?

Javier Baez
Kris Bryant
Jorge Soler
Submit
One thing is for sure, the Cubs will be watchable again, especially if Baez keeps hitting. The team is struggling to draw viewers, at least according to Nielsen ratings. I'm guessing Tuesday's game will set a season record on Comcast SportsNet.

While Epstein and his front office are getting their rightful due for the relatively quick transformation of the farm system, it's helpful to remember Baez is the last of the Jim Hendry draft picks, even though Hendry will take no credit for Baez.

Even if he were still the general manager, he'd credit the scouts and scouting director Tim Wilken. In this case, he already knew he was fired after a sitdown with Tom Ricketts and agreed to stay on through the draft before the firing was official.

In my column the day Hendry was canned, I quoted a source who was in the room when Baez was drafted ninth overall in 2011. He said Hendry "acted like this guy would be playing third base for him for the next 10 years."

Ironically, Baez's first home game will be against Chris Archer, whom Hendry traded in the Matt Garza deal, his unsuccessful last-ditch effort to save his job.

Now it's time for Cubs fans to celebrate, or at least it's time to enjoy watching games again, because the new era of Cubs baseball is really beginning.

Baez is up to bat, outfielder Jorge Soler is on deck (expect him up in September) and in the dugout, Kris Bryant is taking Wonder Boy out of its case.

The big league Cubs are almost ready to matter again. It should feel good.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wasn't it a sell out the first day Alcantara promoted? If I recall they had a big surge and he wasn't even one of the core prospects.

I just believe after being spoon fed the wait for the prospects any taste will get them flocking in.
1700 short but still impressive

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
Well, what do you know.

I live in Denver and am singing the National Anthem at the Cubs/Rox game tomorrow. (well, not just me, a large group.. ha ha)

So yay! It will fun to see Baez tomorrow in his first game. Lots of transplants from Chicago out here so should be fun..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm thinking they wave Schierholtz now. He is a non factor now. Not to mention Alcantara should become the full time CF with this move.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Oliver isn't fangraph's exactly. It's just one of many projections they host. Zips and Streamer are others.

As for this being an attendance move, that's pretty naive IMO. For one, there's not that much season left. They waited this long for a reason. Baez recently changed agents so my guess is they likely have the workings for an extension in mind. Also, he's crushed the ball lately in Iowa. I believe his numbers peaked around the time Bryant was called up. The last 28 days he's hitting .319/.365/.681 with a 6% walk rate and a 24% k rate. Last 90 days he's hitting .290/.346/.565 with a 8% walk rate and a 28% k rate.

As for where you bat him, I would guess 3rd if you want to be a bit aggressive or 6th/7th if you want to just take the pressure off him. If you bat him 3rd you would have Baez, Rizzo, Castro as a night power hitting core with a R/L/R split plus Rizzo would be protection for him. If you go later, you'd basically just be replacing probably schierholtz positionally.

To be honest though I think he's going to be kind of meh this year. I'd love to be wrong about this but look at the adjustment he had to A+ and AAA. Daytona is more of a pitching league so I think when he finally caught up there he was obviously ready for AA hence what we saw last year. However, in both of his first stints in those two leagues he struggled. Additionally, if you take his last 90 days at roughly 28% k rate and compare that to the MLB for the past 3.5 years there's not a ton of guys who are super stars at that level of K's. You're basically hoping he's Giancarlo Stanton at 27.6%. Staton walks more at 12%. Jay Bruce at 9.9%/25.3% is another guy in that range that's likely a star in most people's minds. Additionally, if he's a .270 hitter in A+ and a .260 hitter in AAA what's that make him in the majors? .250 tops? Even if you take his later splits where he's hitting around .300 in AAA, that's still PCL numbers. So maybe .270 tops?

I get why people are excited. And I get why scouts like his tools. However, me being more a numbers guy its hard for me to see this current iteration of him succeeding massively. He's only 21 so clearly stuff can change. We'll see I suppose.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was alittle over the top. 40 HR's in his first full season. Talk about a Kool-aid site.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oliver isn't fangraph's exactly. It's just one of many projections they host. Zips and Streamer are others.

As for this being an attendance move, that's pretty naive IMO. For one, there's not that much season left. They waited this long for a reason. Baez recently changed agents so my guess is they likely have the workings for an extension in mind. Also, he's crushed the ball lately in Iowa. I believe his numbers peaked around the time Bryant was called up. The last 28 days he's hitting .319/.365/.681 with a 6% walk rate and a 24% k rate. Last 90 days he's hitting .290/.346/.565 with a 8% walk rate and a 28% k rate.

As for where you bat him, I would guess 3rd if you want to be a bit aggressive or 6th/7th if you want to just take the pressure off him. If you bat him 3rd you would have Baez, Rizzo, Castro as a night power hitting core with a R/L/R split plus Rizzo would be protection for him. If you go later, you'd basically just be replacing probably schierholtz positionally.

To be honest though I think he's going to be kind of meh this year. I'd love to be wrong about this but look at the adjustment he had to A+ and AAA. Daytona is more of a pitching league so I think when he finally caught up there he was obviously ready for AA hence what we saw last year. However, in both of his first stints in those two leagues he struggled. Additionally, if you take his last 90 days at roughly 28% k rate and compare that to the MLB for the past 3.5 years there's not a ton of guys who are super stars at that level of K's. You're basically hoping he's Giancarlo Stanton at 27.6%. Staton walks more at 12%. Jay Bruce at 9.9%/25.3% is another guy in that range that's likely a star in most people's minds. Additionally, if he's a .270 hitter in A+ and a .260 hitter in AAA what's that make him in the majors? .250 tops? Even if you take his later splits where he's hitting around .300 in AAA, that's still PCL numbers. So maybe .270 tops?

I get why people are excited. And I get why scouts like his tools. However, me being more a numbers guy its hard for me to see this current iteration of him succeeding massively. He's only 21 so clearly stuff can change. We'll see I suppose.

He could hit anywhere from .220 to .300. His hit tool allows for that big of range. Its all about pitch recognition with him. He has batted over .300 and had over a .900 OPS since mid MAY. So, he has hit well over .260 for awhile. His start was so bad. He could hit for the highest AVG out of our big 4 because he hits the ball so hard he should always carry a better BABIP then most. Baez will struggle, but his ceiling can not be matched by anyone in our ORG, even Bryant.

Also, I read his coach said wait until you see his range at second. He said it is unbelievable. This is why Alcantara was moved to CF.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
2rpqrdg.jpg

Is it bad that in THIS NL-Only dynasty lineup, I'm most proud of that gem currently manning the SS position (look who's injured LOL). I'm so STACKED at SS. Been holding onto this kid since May of 2011. Patience pays off. Most excited I've been to watch a Chicago Cubs game since I was in the standing room crowd for Game 1 of the Dodger NLDS...

"x" under contract means I can tender them a contract length at the end of the year, if you're interested :D "m" means I got the player as a minor leaguer for this year, and tender 3 more to him, or keep him as a minor keeper next year at "m" and then be forced to tender him 3 after next year. depends on what i wanna do with my minors since i have piscotty and aj cole to keep already, i might just keep javy as a minor and have 4 years of control of him.

<3 Javy.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 10

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, look at Miguel Cabreras stats at the ages Baez was. They are similar except Cabrera AVG went off in AA but in only 200 and something at bats. This isnt comparing. These are just two guys that have high ceilings and showing why overall lines in minors dont mean a ton. I am not sayin Baez is the next Cabrera, but I am saying he is the next Albert Pujols! :troll:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Baez's ownership in CBS leagues has gone from 47% to 71% in just the last 16 hours. Hype train is real.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Can you stop trying to be KB? You're really bad at it. You're not meant to be a troll Fisher, you're just a volume poster.

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

Nah, Fishy's a thankbanger.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Unless....and this is really sneaky.....they know he takes a while to adjust, and they want to give him time to do so in a meaningless 2014, so he'll be more prepared for a meaningful 2015.

Those evil geniuses!

Yeah, let's hope this is true. I really have been thinking that it is time for the Cubs to field a decent team next year, and I hope this is the beginning!