The Myth of being contenders year after year for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyone care to give the Cliffs Notes version of what just happened in this thread? :popcorn:

BearsWillWin(aka Soriano's agent) just get his ass handed to him and got a climate lesson at the same time.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
Right. Logical thought =/= to pointing out that Soriano not wanting to play on the west coast or move his family west as reasons to not play in SF seem rather odd based on the fact that one of his preferred destinations is a 5 hr car trip away in California. Or pointing out him wanting to play for a contender yet excluding SF from the trade talks is dumb because SF has won two world series in 5 seasons.

It's his personal preference. That's what having a no trade clause means.....you can deny a trade and only go where you want to go.

Why is that difficult to understand?

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
BearsWillWin(aka Soriano's agent) just get his ass handed to him and got a climate lesson at the same time.

I learned it snows less in SF than it does Chicago.

Something I never knew, even though I have lived in both cities.

Truly amazing lesson I have learned.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are we talking about the weather now? :popcorn:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's his personal preference. That's what having a no trade clause means.....you can deny a trade and only go where you want to go.

Why is that difficult to understand?

No one ever disputed that you moron. What we were saying is that his "personal preference" was and is idiotic and non nonsensical.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
No one ever disputed that you moron. What we were saying is that his "personal preference" was and is idiotic and non nonsensical.

You can point to average rainfall and snowfall (still dumb) all you want but I've lived in both cities and I can safely say the weather during baseball season is much better in Chicago than it is SF.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
As far as wanting to play for a contender..........how many people saw SF as a legit WS contender last July?

Hindsight is 20/20......but go back to that moment in time and tell me that were heavy contenders as viewed from people around the league.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As far as wanting to play for a contender..........how many people saw SF as a legit WS contender last July?

Well, they were leading the division over the "contender" Dodgers on July 31st...so...ummm.....yeah.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
Well, they were leading the division over the "contender" Dodgers on July 31st...so...ummm.....yeah.

So....ummmm.....yeah......maybe try answering the question I asked.

How many people out of every 100 do you think would have picked the Giants as a contender around the time of last year's trade deadline?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So....ummmm.....yeah......maybe try answering the question I asked.

How many people out of every 100 do you think would have picked the Giants as a contender around the time of last year's trade deadline?

Anyone who was really smart apparently. What made LA more of a contender than SF? How many people were picking LA as one?

Do I think SF would have been named as the "top contender"? No. But I don't think LA would have been either by a fairly similar ratio.

Was SF a contender for the WS last July 31st? Yes. Were they viewed as a "top" contender? No. But then again neither were the Dodgers.

BearsWillWin

Liked Posts:
Anyone who was really smart apparently. What made LA more of a contender than SF? How many people were picking LA as one?

Yes, because only smart people are able to pick the eventual winner every season.

Soriano saw LA as a contender and a fit for himself, but not SF. That makes him wrong. It doesn't make him stupid. And that is where you fail to comprehend things.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, because only smart people are able to pick the eventual winner every season.

Soriano saw LA as a contender and a fit for himself, but not SF. That makes him wrong. It doesn't make him stupid. And that is where you fail to comprehend things.

:dontsay:

He's stupid because he didn't seem to realize LA was on the west coast and SF has generally pretty good weather......

Being wrong about a team winning the WS: Shit happens.

Being wrong about where SF and LA are located and SF's weather: stupid.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Only the fabled Cubs threads on CCS can transform a discussion from "How to build a sustainable roster" to "Meteorology 101" in 5 posts. This influx of new people is absolutely flabbergasting.

:obama:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Only the fabled Cubs threads on CCS can transform a discussion from "How to build a sustainable roster" to "Meteorology 101" in 5 posts. This influx of new people is absolutely flabbergasting.

:obama:

To be fair, the Cardinal fan here did his job.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Please stop using factual information.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The one itsy, bitsy, tiny detail you left out of your agenda is that not every player makes the adjustments.

You wish to throw it off as a guarantee that all he has to do is make some simple adjustments and everything will be hunky dory.

It isn't that easy chump.

Pitchers started figuring him out as far back as the All Streak Break last year and since then his numbers have been below average for a 1B. But the slurpers continue to ignore that point I have brought up several times now because they simple don't have the facts to counter it.

Boy, I'm glad you've done all this "research" and posted these elusive "facts" about Rizzo. Thanks for clearing up that a 23-year-old first baseman is going to have to make adjustments in order to become an effective player. Too bad you're too dense to actually, you know, do some research and see that Rizzo has, in fact, made some adjustments to his swing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...izzo-and-the-prospect-of-being-demoted-to-aaa

FanGraphs chart for swing breakdown

Blindly assuming that a player can completely change the way he's swung his entire life and instantly hit .300 with 40 home runs is shallow on your part. But please, go ahead and continue projectile vomiting your awesome "factual information" that's backed up by no statistical merit or reputable links that actually reinforce the shit conclusions you're trying to draw.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Too bad you're too dense to actually, you know, do some research and see that Rizzo has, in fact, made some adjustments to his swing.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...izzo-and-the-prospect-of-being-demoted-to-aaa

FanGraphs chart for swing breakdown

Blindly assuming that a player can completely change the way he's swung his entire life and instantly hit .300 with 40 home runs is shallow on your part. But please, go ahead and continue projectile vomiting your awesome "factual information" that's backed up by no statistical merit or reputable links that actually reinforce the shit conclusions you're trying to draw.

Awwww, did someone miss their naptime today??

First off, the only person to mention Rizzo hitting .300 with 40 HR's is you just now in your little temper tantrum so you are clearly just making things up instead of providing facts.

And changing his swing he has used his whole life? Or do you mean the swing he has had for one year since the Cubs adjusted his swing last year at AAA to try and cut down on his strikeouts?

Whoops.

The only real blind assumption is going on is everyone who believes Theo is guaranteed to be successfully building the Cubs into winners seeing he has never had to build up an organization from the ground up. He was handed the keys to a fully stocked major league team and minors system when he took over in Boston.

But continue to get your panties in a bunch that people who actually have the nerve to question what a team who lost 100 games last and is one of the four worst teams in baseball this year.

How unreasonable to do that.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I think you should look up how they figure climate index.

There is a ton that goes into it.

I think you should ask your Mommy why she hands you a blown, smoking, rubber, when you ask for your birth certificate.

You may just be a bigger Special person than the Oh Mighty One.

Take your meteorlogical bullshit and shove it up Martini's ass. That's if you can get past the pollups and gerbil carcasses.

There's a ton that goes into it.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
The only real blind assumption is going on is everyone who believes Theo is guaranteed to be successfully building the Cubs into winners seeing he has never had to build up an organization from the ground up. He was handed the keys to a fully stocked major league team and minors system when he took over in Boston.

But continue to get your panties in a bunch that people who actually have the nerve to question what a team who lost 100 games last and is one of the four worst teams in baseball this year.

How unreasonable to do that.
Again, complete delusion.

Theo walked into the Red Sox with pieces already there on the MLB level and still had to go and get Ortiz, Millar, and Schilling. The Red Sox minor league system was in shambles, with no first round pick the year before or the year he took over and still got Lester in the second round to go along with the only two clear prospects in their entire farm in Youk and Shoppach. The dynamic of their farm changed once he took full control and started drafting an impact player a year until 05 when he hit paydirt. So again, you really are having a hard time trying to decipher delusion from reality. You know, they have meds for that, correct?

Creme

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Again, complete delusion.

Theo walked into the Red Sox with pieces already there on the MLB level and still had to go and get Ortiz, Millar, and Schilling. The Red Sox minor league system was in shambles, with no first round pick the year before or the year he took over and still got Lester in the second round to go along with the only two clear prospects in their entire farm in Youk and Shoppach. The dynamic of their farm changed once he took full control and started drafting an impact player a year until 05 when he hit paydirt. So again, you really are having a hard time trying to decipher delusion from reality. You know, they have meds for that, correct?

Creme

Dumb. You clearly do not have the baseball knowledge neccessary to debate.

Of course, I have noticed how much you "get off" on yourself. Which amplifies the clown you truely are.

Still waiting on your answer to the question. You shot down the OP but can't seem to do much else from there except the excessive drivelling.

SPED.

Status
Not open for further replies.