The Offensive Depth Chart Discussion

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB: Trubisky, Daniel, Bray [IR]

The top 2 are obvious. I think the Bears will keep Bray through camp and to mop up pre-season 4 and then conveniently he will get injured in that 4th pre-season game before being placed on IR at his full salary and sticking around at Halas Hall to help out the down roster players on offense. Bray's knowledge of the system has enough value that paying him 795k is a steal at twice the price. The down roster RBs, WRs, and TEs will be working with a QB that knows the system all through camp and then after camp when he is put on IR they will continue to have him around, although not on the field. If an emergency comes up and you need a QB then you simply bring him off IR and he is the backup.

RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Nall

My guess is that they will keep 4 RBs considering Cunningham and Nall should be core special teamers. Howard, Cohen and Cunningham are locks in my world. Cunningham can run the ball and is the 2nd best receiver in the group, which makes him an ideal backup for Howard and Cohen. The final spot seems to be a battle between Mizzel and Nall. Not getting to see much of Mizzel makes this difficult, but strictly from a size/athletic position Nall seems better equipped to step in if Howard is injured in short yardage or between the tackle situations. Add in the increased special teams value for Nall at 6'2" 232lbs, and the fact that he can possibly play FB and I think he offers more bottom of the roster versatility.

WR: Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Fowler, Wims, White

I think that with the total gong show that the WR position has been under Ryan Pace that the Bears need to keep 6 on the roster and ensure the maximum number of options and depth possible. The top 3 are obvious locks and arguably the best WR core we have seen 1-3 in a decade. After that there are some interesting decisions. White's money is guaranteed and he will be on the team until he goes on IR. That leaves 2 spots. Fowler is a bigger player, has flashed as a WR, and he is at least the equal to Bellamy on special teams. I think he makes it as the WR designated for special teams. I think Wims was a very nice value in the 7th round and offers a downfield threat that can win contested catches. I do not see them letting him go and exposing him to waivers. Based on the improved depth this should be the last season that we need to endure Josh Bellamy.

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown

This is a position where I have had the most debate about whether I see them carrying 3-4 players. There is a decent amount of young talent at this position and guys that can contribute so I think they find a way to keep Brown. I wish they had let Sims option pass and cut him, but alas he will be on the team. Brown to me has flashed enough as a receiving threat that can be split out that he should be kept. He can fill the Burton role if he is injured, a role that Shaheen and Sims are not really physically capable of filling. Sims provides depth at the inline position behind Shaheen.

LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniels, Morgan
C: Whitehair, Kush
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Watford

Normally the Bears have carried 8 OLmen, I think this is a year where we could see them carry 9 to ensure that they do not run out of players and that they are covered for Long not coming back to full speed. Sowell got almost 1 million guaranteed, which tells me he is likely the swing OT. I do not think he is very good, but he has multiple starts in the league at LT and that experience is very valuable. Watford has starts at RT and RG and is a veteran that can be leaned on if younger players are not ready, so I think that he will make the team or at least have an inside track. Kush can play all over the interior line and looked good 2 years ago when he started. Morgan is a bit of a wildcard, we didn't see much last season, but he is a 5th round pick who we should see what Hiestand can do with. I think that Kush and Sowell will be the active backups on game day and that Watford/Kush would compete at RG if Kyle Long is not prepared to play. Watford was running with the 1s at mini camp, which tells me that Grasu is not in the plans.

25 Offensive Players

Hammer

Liked Posts:
There are couple of questions here:

- how much time will it take for players to pick up Nagy's playbook
- how much time will Trubisky need to develop into legit franchise QB
- can Hiestand help Massie to become at least decent RT and fix the biggest hole/questionmark on this offense

Mitchapalooza

I hope Massie gets better with our new OL coach. If he gets hurt our RT spot looks atrocious.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i think what happens to wims will depend on white and if he stays healthy throughout preseason. if white stays healthy and is contributing i can see wims developing that mysterious injury like you said with bray and sit for a year while bellamy takes his place...he is a good special teamer.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I hope Massie gets better with our new OL coach. If he gets hurt our RT spot looks atrocious.

If Massie gets hurt or just plain stinks, it will be interesting to see if Hiestand can develop Morgan or maybe Coward into legit RT.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I see 5 WRs, 4 TEs, and 4 RBs on the final roster. But at this point, its anybody's guess...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I see 5 WRs, 4 TEs, and 4 RBs on the final roster. But at this point, its anybody's guess...

I think if Kevin White makes it the Bears need to carry 6 because he is dead weight in terms of special teams.

Fowler and Wims would be making the team partly because they are on teams. The bottom 2 WRs need to play special teams in some way shape or form.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do agree with the sentiment that Massie is the biggest liability on offense, which is a major step up from last season when I could have named 5.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I love where you have White on the depth chart. He belongs there until he can prove otherwise. I hope he can learn to play STs.

I hope you are right in that Grasu is gone. I don't think the world famous OL whisperer can turn that pile of chicken poop into chicken salad.

I am not sure I agree that they'll keep 4 TEs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see 6 WRs......KC had 6 but suited up 5 during game day...we have a couple WRs that can play special teams.

Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, White, Fowler, Bellamy and Wims may be stashed on practice squad.

Hopefully Wims can make the team and push out Bellamy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love where you have White on the depth chart. He belongs there until he can prove otherwise. I hope he can learn to play STs.

I hope you are right in that Grasu is gone. I don't think the world famous OL whisperer can turn that pile of chicken poop into chicken salad.

I am not sure I agree that they'll keep 4 TEs.

TE is the area where I think you can pretty easily cut Brown if you need a spot on defense.

The health issues with Long and the the ? marks at OT make we think they may carry 9, at least until Long gets some healthy games under his belt.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think we have the quality of guys to stand in Kevin whites way.

I got
Robinson, White, Miller, Gabriel, Brown, Wims

Making the team, while both McManis and Bellamy make way for new ST coach, and dual threat of accommodating GM trying to appease coaches and their new toys, while also reaching an age where he has his own back draft picks to protect.

Bellamy and McManis won’t beat those odds.

But White I don’t see blocked by any other dual threat of his size and athleticism. If healthy he will take over his chunk of reps.

Upon further review Miller time is small and takes balls more from Gabriel and Cohen, and they targeted him for the perfect slot player.

Wims and Brown do not have the athleticism of White at the end of the day. He will be used and his role will grow, IMO.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t think we have the quality of guys to stand in Kevin whites way.

I got
Robinson, White, Miller, Gabriel, Brown, Wims

Making the team, while both McManis and Bellamy make way for new ST coach, and dual threat of accommodating GM trying to appease coaches and their new toys, while also reaching an age where he has his own back draft picks to protect.

Bellamy and McManis won’t beat those odds.

But White I don’t see blocked by any other dual threat of his size and athleticism. If healthy he will take over his chunk of reps.

Upon further review Miller time is small and takes balls more from Gabriel and Cohen, and they targeted him for the perfect slot player.

Wims and Brown do not have the athleticism of White at the end of the day. He will be used and his role will grow, IMO.

They did not pay Gabriel 6.5 million a season and 14 guaranteed to be a back up.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No? You know that?

Cuz at some point Nagy will see them both on the field and I don’t think contracts will go into ball distribution. They will earn there reps in the offense with performance, and I’m willing to take Kevin whites side.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No? You know that?

Cuz at some point Nagy will see them both on the field and I don’t think contracts will go into ball distribution. They will earn there reps in the offense with performance, and I’m willing to take Kevin whites side.

Contracts matter. A guaranteed contract is the only reason White is still on the team.

I hope you are right. It would be nice to salvage some value from White.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Until White is broken, if I’m coach and I’m watching them all practice and take reps it’s just that Kevin White looks bigger, faster, stronger.

Burton and Gabriel are cool weapons in this offense but they still got to line up next to a freak #8 nfl pick and look as good doing the same thing.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
TE is the area where I think you can pretty easily cut Brown if you need a spot on defense.

Honestly, I see Sims as being the guy who'd get cut. Sure, you're eating his contract, but Brown is more likely to be part of the future of the team. He has more value to the offense because he's the better receiver.

Though maybe that's just wishful thinking.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think 6 WRs, 4 backs & 3 TEs.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
White will most likely start at the Y with gabriel at the z with Robinson at X. You just cut white and let him go if hes not gonna be given the chance to start. Remember he was a 6'3" 4.3 running super athletic WR with the ability to go up and get it. If you dont give him at least games 1 and 2 to prove himself why have him at all.

Also I think you'll see Miller sub into twin packages and trips where they can create better releases and get into space using playcalling schemes. 4 WR sets or 5 Wr sets could appear at times too. We've never had someone creative enough at HC or OC that we could depend on to utilize the talent on the roster. I'm not worried about that this time around.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Until White is broken, if I’m coach and I’m watching them all practice and take reps it’s just that Kevin White looks bigger, faster, stronger.

Burton and Gabriel are cool weapons in this offense but they still got to line up next to a freak #8 nfl pick and look as good doing the same thing.

He was healthy in camp last year and did not look bigger, faster, and stronger. He had a bad camp. Windy recently posted the links on that.