The official around the MLB thread!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
David Price and the Cubs will be great fits for one another when Price becomes a free agent next winter, Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes. Price’s former manager Joe Maddon is now in Chicago, and Price says he finds a young team like the Cubs appealing. “They have a lot of guys they can control for a long time,” he says. “It’s very similar to when I first came up in Tampa. Just a bunch of young guys out there having fun. That’s what it’s about. You have to be able to have fun. I don’t want to win and not have fun.”

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
David Price and the Cubs will be great fits for one another when Price becomes a free agent next winter, Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago writes. Price’s former manager Joe Maddon is now in Chicago, and Price says he finds a young team like the Cubs appealing. “They have a lot of guys they can control for a long time,” he says. “It’s very similar to when I first came up in Tampa. Just a bunch of young guys out there having fun. That’s what it’s about. You have to be able to have fun. I don’t want to win and not have fun.”

Man, I like David Price but he has a ton of innings on his arm and he is going to get Scherzer money. That a lot to tie up on two pitchers over 30.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Man, I like David Price but he has a ton of innings on his arm and he is going to get Scherzer money. That a lot to tie up on two pitchers over 30.

If they can work a deal like Scherzer got that is not a bad thing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
FRIDAY: Soriano’s deal does, in fact, include an opt-out clause that allows him to become a free agent if he’s not in the Majors by the All-Star Game in mid-July, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman writes.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If they can work a deal like Scherzer got that is not a bad thing.

Washington cut that deal because they couldn't afford the straight up money. I don't think the Cubs would need to do anything like that I'm just not sure I wan another 30 year old pitcher. They have to find a deal for a 25 year old at some point.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Washington cut that deal because they couldn't afford the straight up money. I don't think the Cubs would need to do anything like that I'm just not sure I wan another 30 year old pitcher. They have to find a deal for a 25 year old at some point.

I agree on the young stud, and lets hope they find one without emptying the prospect pool.

The free agent list has some intriguing pitchers in it. Granted, some are not young, but the list to upgrade from Wada is there.

A.J. Burnett
Bartolo Colon
Johnny Cueto
R.A. Dickey *
Doug Fister
Yovani Gallardo
Jaime Garcia
Zack Greinke (opt-out)
Scott Kazmir
John Lackey
Mat Latos
Mike Leake
Rick Porcello
David Price
Jeff Samardzija
Jordan Zimmerman

Surely the Cubs will find someone via a trade, but there are some short term pitchers out there if they can't strike the right deal.

At some point, you have to figure that they also will put Edwards in the pen and start grooming him to be a starter, and hope also that the two in A ball (Underwood and Martinez) keep pitching well coming up the ladder. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple of pitchers really start striding and finding the groove like Skulina and Torrez.

There are some pretty decent pitchers in Tennessee for the AA team, I am just wondering why Batista isn't getting the call up to AAA even though he is 26. He has a 6-2 record and 1.70 ERA. Not sure what else he needs to do?

I don't know where Pierce Johnson fits into all of this either.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Padres fire Bud Black, name Dave Roberts interim manager. Curious what they'r looking to do here. I'm not sure Black has done much wrong. Do they look at a spark plug type like Ozzie Guillen to rile up the troops or do you go maybe with Rick Renteria who looked like he had the makings of a good manager in him? This one is a head scratcher to me. Sure they spent money and acquired talent in the offseason but it never looked like much of a mix to me. Not sure what Black could've done.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I like Renteria. I realize he wasn't an exact fit for the Cubbies, but if I'm the Pads, he is high on the list.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Padres fire Bud Black, name Dave Roberts interim manager. Curious what they'r looking to do here. I'm not sure Black has done much wrong. Do they look at a spark plug type like Ozzie Guillen to rile up the troops or do you go maybe with Rick Renteria who looked like he had the makings of a good manager in him? This one is a head scratcher to me. Sure they spent money and acquired talent in the offseason but it never looked like much of a mix to me. Not sure what Black could've done.

I gamble a lot so I watch a lot of different teams and I have seen the Padres a good bit. They are absolutely horrendous in the OF. I mean they misplay balls constantly. I watched them in one inning allow 3 doubles that would be 3 outs with any other OF. Their offense doesn't strike fear in you. The pitching hasn't lived up to what it should be and they play in a tough division. They just got Alonso back a week or so ago so he should help, but that D in the OF is just atrocious. I would rip my hair out as a fan.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I gamble a lot so I watch a lot of different teams and I have seen the Padres a good bit. They are absolutely horrendous in the OF. I mean they misplay balls constantly. I watched them in one inning allow 3 doubles that would be 3 outs with any other OF. Their offense doesn't strike fear in you. The pitching hasn't lived up to what it should be and they play in a tough division. They just got Alonso back a week or so ago so he should help, but that D in the OF is just atrocious. I would rip my hair out as a fan.

I've seen them some and I agree on the outfield but I just never liked the mix they put together this year. There are some nice pieces but they don't quite...fit. Not sure how that was Black's fault. I get they were supposed to be a playoff team but if the mix us wrong what can a manager do? The white Sox are similar that way too but no one is firing Ventura who isn't as good as Black.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen them some and I agree on the outfield but I just never liked the mix they put together this year. There are some nice pieces but they don't quite...fit. Not sure how that was Black's fault. I get they were supposed to be a playoff team but if the mix us wrong what can a manager do? The white Sox are similar that way too but no one is firing Ventura who isn't as good as Black.

It comes down to they can't fire players.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy shit, as we speak, 8 Royals are leading vote getters for the All star game. Omar fucking Infante is a leading vote getter and may lose his job soon. Mike Trout is the only non Royal. This shit is out of hand. Baseball needs to take away fan voting. Its just a joke and 8 fucking Royals. Over the like of Miggy, Josh Donaldson, Altuve, etc. etc. Donaldson may be the MVP right now in the AL. Its a joke.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Holy shit, as we speak, 8 Royals are leading vote getters for the All star game. Omar fucking Infante is a leading vote getter and may lose his job soon. Mike Trout is the only non Royal. This shit is out of hand. Baseball needs to take away fan voting. Its just a joke and 8 fucking Royals. Over the like of Miggy, Josh Donaldson, Altuve, etc. etc. Donaldson may be the MVP right now in the AL. Its a joke.

You can add Matt Holiday and a lot of the Cardinals to that too. Hell, the state of Missouri might have12 starters in the All-Star game if this keeps up.

I would take Bryce Harper, McCutcheon, and Ryan Braun right now over that pig, and Joc Pederson would be next.

And Matt Carpenter? How should he beat out Todd Frasier at 3B, let alone you can probably throw Bryant into the conversation?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You can add Matt Holiday and a lot of the Cardinals to that too. Hell, the state of Missouri might have12 starters in the All-Star game if this keeps up.

I would take Bryce Harper, McCutcheon, and Ryan Braun right now over that pig, and Joc Pederson would be next.

And Matt Carpenter? How should he beat out Todd Frasier at 3B, let alone you can probably throw Bryant into the conversation?

And the Rockies third baseman as well.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ok. Is there no thresd about the Cards being investigated by the FBI?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Ok. Is there no thresd about the Cards being investigated by the FBI?

There is now. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys, and the best fans in baseball.

Of course, I am not sure how you have a "best fans" in baseball contest. :dunno:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

They were the toast of the winter meetings, and I thought they were being talked about as a much better team than they are. Matt Kemp was the savior? Is anyone truly surprised he isn't playing well? During the winter meetings, Kemp was talked about like he was Babe Ruth.

I am not shocked they are firing the manager - the GM was the hot shot in January, and by God, if that manager can't win with the GM's guys, he's gotta go!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There is now. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys, and the best fans in baseball.

Of course, I am not sure how you have a "best fans" in baseball contest. :dunno:

I live in St Louis and can't get over the talk of the "BFIB". Constantly!

The best tweet I saw yesterday was "You can't spell BFIB without FBI."

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I live in St Louis and can't get over the talk of the "BFIB". Constantly!

The best tweet I saw yesterday was "You can't spell BFIB without FBI."

I live in Southern Indiana, and it is definitely Cardinal territory. Probably 60% Cardinal, 29% Cubs, 11 % other.

A Yankee fan mentioned, What? Do the Cardinals have to cheat now? Of course, the Cardinal fan was quick to deflect the comment. I kept my mouth shut, though I was laughing inside.

I did let one slip when watching the Cardinals go down tonight. After seeing Reynolds miss on strike three in the ninth, I not knowingly said, boy he took a mean hack at that one............Whoops!:parrot: