"The Plan"

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So much has been speculated by Bears fans about what "The Plan" is? Are the Bears rebuilding? Are they in a win now mode? After what's happened so far I think it's obvious....

It's win now. But that's not winning like you and me want. That's not competing for a Super Bowl winning. I'm talking about saving Pace and Nagy's ass type of winning. I'm talking about convincing George to extend my contract type of winning.

If the Bears were rebuilding... truly rebuilding..... they wouldn't be back loading every deal like they are. Tacking on void years left and right. Jimmy Graham wouldn't be a Bear. This team is squeezing every last ounce of cap dollar towards THIS YEAR.

Now I know many are going but what about Dalton? The Bears can't win a Super Bowl with Dalton! And you're right.... they almost certainly can't. (I'll never say never in sports.... but it's sure as hell not likely) Dalton isn't here to win a Super Bowl. Dalton isn't here to mentor a QB. Dalton is here to eke out 9 or 10 wins at best. Save Nagy and Pace's jobs. Prove that Nagy can run an offense that isn't bottom of the league.

Nagy was brought here to fix the offense. And it hasn't even come close to being fixed. Most of us think he's a fucking dunce. Nagy has to prove he can at least run a middle of the pack offense. He hasn't sniffed the top half of the league in 3 years. Dalton can, if nothing else, get the Bears there. That's the goal. That's how bad Nagy has been. Top 16 would be a HUGE improvement.

So as much as I want a QB this year. As much as we all know that's the fastest way to get to the Super Bowl..... Realize this isn't about getting to the Super Bowl. It's about getting to 9-7 and a middle of the pack offense without having the defense collapse. A 9-7 season with an average offense and a slightly above average defense get's Pace and Nagy 4 more years. Barf now..... I'll wait. One more winning season and George can say Pace/Nagy have a winning record after 4 years. A winning season and they probably eek into the playoffs again so he can say the Bears have made the playoffs three out of four years. A middle of the pack offense and George can say "we've improved BIGLY."

So expect more cheap vet deals. Don't expect a QB in the top 2 rounds. Expect some combo of CB, WR, or OT with the first 2 picks. Maybe even a trade down in round one. But certainly not a trade up.

For those of you that think I'm full of shit remember who #CalledIt on Fuller. This sheep knows how Pace thinks. This sheep knows George has no vision.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think they get fired if they go 9-7 and flunk out of the playoffs right away. Maybe a divisional title would make an immediate playoff exit palatable, but any less probably wouldn't. A long playoff run to or past the conference championship would no doubt keep them around.

The fault in this plan is of course that the team kinda sucks. I don't doubt you at all that this is what they want to do, but there's this fatal flaw where the Bears for three straight off-seasons now have steadily gotten worse each off-season.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they get fired if they go 9-7 and flunk out of the playoffs right away. Maybe a divisional title would make an immediate playoff exit palatable, but any less probably wouldn't. A long playoff run to or past the conference championship would no doubt keep them around.

The fault in this plan is of course that the team kinda sucks. I don't doubt you at all that this is what they want to do, but there's this fatal flaw where the Bears for three straight off-seasons now have steadily gotten worse each off-season.
Oh look at this stalker replying to a thread I posted in within minutes. Also with a bad thought... I am super surprised.

:sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep:
:homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This is not the plan at all. But thanks for sharing...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The last time George fired a Bear's coach with a winning record we got the Trestman/Fox years. I personally don't think George risks that again.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What is then? What's the vision?
Build the team while trying to find the next QB to lead that team. We are not going “all in” to try to win a Sb, or to try to save anyone’s job. And we aren’t doing a complete rebuild either...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think they have longer contracts then we know and are safe especially pace

Biggs article this morning says he knows Nagy goes to 2022 and he thinks Pace had a year tacked on to match.

If they really did have longer contracts why make the move they've been making?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The last time George fired a Bear's coach with a winning record we got the Trestman/Fox years. I personally don't think George risks that again.
I don't think they survived by much this year. There was a lot of chatter that Matt Nagy was as good as gone after blowing that lead against Detroit and the squandering of a 5-1 start looked inevitable. Then they sort of saved themselves (well, Kliff Kingsbury saved them) with sputtering late season surge, but they still lost their last two games.

I think the two of them surviving this year was George McCaskey vowing to not make the same mistake as he did with Lovie Smith, and he won't be lenient next year unless there is big improvement. George McCaskey probably is looking at this off-season and wondering some of the same things everyone else is, this season is already off to a very inauspicious start. I wouldn't rule out a midseason firing if the Bears look moribund and start the year with a miserable record.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Trying to save their asses is a given...

I want to know how you/Pace see this team eking out 9 wins with the AFC North, NFC West, 6 division games, Tampa, and NYG with a worse defense with 3 aging/hurt playmakers on the wrong side of 30 and musical chairs of average names at QB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Build the team while trying to find the next QB to lead that team. We are not going “all in” to try to win a Sb, or to try to save anyone’s job. And we aren’t doing a complete rebuild either...

Pace/Nagy aren't going to risk their tenuous jobs on a rookie. Sure, if a top 5 QB falls to them at 20 they'll possiblly do it. But they aren't trading up or anything. They need to win now or they don't get to develop that QB.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trying to save their asses is a given...

I want to know how you/Pace see this team eking out 9 wins with the AFC North, NFC West, 6 division games, Tampa, and NYG with a worse defense with 3 aging/hurt playmakers on the wrong side of 30 and musical chairs of average names at QB.

I never said the plan would work! ?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't think they survived by much this year. There was a lot of chatter that Matt Nagy was as good as gone after blowing that lead against Detroit and the squandering of a 5-1 start looked inevitable. Then they sort of saved themselves (well, Kliff Kingsbury saved them) with sputtering late season surge, but they still lost their last two games.

I think the two of them surviving this year was George McCaskey vowing to not make the same mistake as he did with Lovie Smith, and he won't be lenient next year unless there is big improvement. George McCaskey probably is looking at this off-season and wondering some of the same things everyone else is, this season is already off to a very inauspicious start. I wouldn't rule out a midseason firing if the Bears look moribund and start the year with a miserable record.

Never done it before.....

I mean always a first but I wouldn't bet on it.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
So much has been speculated by Bears fans about what "The Plan" is? Are the Bears rebuilding? Are they in a win now mode? After what's happened so far I think it's obvious....

It's win now. But that's not winning like you and me want. That's not competing for a Super Bowl winning. I'm talking about saving Pace and Nagy's ass type of winning. I'm talking about convincing George to extend my contract type of winning.

If the Bears were rebuilding... truly rebuilding..... they wouldn't be back loading every deal like they are. Tacking on void years left and right. Jimmy Graham wouldn't be a Bear. This team is squeezing every last ounce of cap dollar towards THIS YEAR.

Now I know many are going but what about Dalton? The Bears can't win a Super Bowl with Dalton! And you're right.... they almost certainly can't. (I'll never say never in sports.... but it's sure as hell not likely) Dalton isn't here to win a Super Bowl. Dalton isn't here to mentor a QB. Dalton is here to eke out 9 or 10 wins at best. Save Nagy and Pace's jobs. Prove that Nagy can run an offense that isn't bottom of the league.

Nagy was brought here to fix the offense. And it hasn't even come close to being fixed. Most of us think he's a fucking dunce. Nagy has to prove he can at least run a middle of the pack offense. He hasn't sniffed the top half of the league in 3 years. Dalton can, if nothing else, get the Bears there. That's the goal. That's how bad Nagy has been. Top 16 would be a HUGE improvement.

So as much as I want a QB this year. As much as we all know that's the fastest way to get to the Super Bowl..... Realize this isn't about getting to the Super Bowl. It's about getting to 9-7 and a middle of the pack offense without having the defense collapse. A 9-7 season with an average offense and a slightly above average defense get's Pace and Nagy 4 more years. Barf now..... I'll wait. One more winning season and George can say Pace/Nagy have a winning record after 4 years. A winning season and they probably eek into the playoffs again so he can say the Bears have made the playoffs three out of four years. A middle of the pack offense and George can say "we've improved BIGLY."

So expect more cheap vet deals. Don't expect a QB in the top 2 rounds. Expect some combo of CB, WR, or OT with the first 2 picks. Maybe even a trade down in round one. But certainly not a trade up.

For those of you that think I'm full of shit remember who #CalledIt on Fuller. This sheep knows how Pace thinks. This sheep knows George has no vision.

There is a term of art for this dynamic (where the GM and his lackey are assuming a low risk-profile (and consequently low ceiling) in order to preserve their status as "employed"):

In other sport circles, this dynamic is commonly referred to as a "GarPax".

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Never done it before.....

I mean always a first but I wouldn't bet on it.
If they finish the first half of the season 1-7 it will be pretty difficult to keep them around. Try and envision the mood around the fanbase and the media.

And really, unless the Bears do something incredible between now and the start of the season I don't see them winning much more than five games. This roster sucks.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I have been saying the exact same thing. You are not off at all.

the one thing I will quibble with you about is that I do think they need a playoff win to keep their jobs.

This is about showing that nagy can run his system when he has a competent quarterback and the Bears not just making the playoffs but winning a game in the playoffs.

This is a complete and total "prove to me your philosophy works" season.

They don't need to win the Super Bowl nor are they going out of their way trying to.

They are trying to prove that Matt Nagy knows what he's doing with offense.

That's why I reject all these claims that Andy Dalton will be running what trubisky ran at the end of the season.

Sure the offensive coordinator will have input and they will run things Andy is comfortable with, but he is going to be running the full bore Matt Nagy offense so that Matt can put to bed this whole thing of him having to give up play calling duties.

Keep in mind that Mitch was too dumb to run Matt's system. Nick had his own opinions on how he wanted to run things, which is fine but then you better produce and he didn't.

With Andy, you got a super smart quarterback who is going to run the system the way you want it run and is going to be at least average doing it.

what I think will shock Bears fans who think Andy Dalton is a crap quarterback, is that

1) Dalton is not a crap quarterback at all. he's not a franchise level quarterback but he sustains average over his entire career and compared to what we've had it's going to look night and day different and better.

2) Dalton is going to see and hit the open receivers that Mitch always overlooked. Mitch would not see an open receiver somewhere between 8 to 13 times a game. Dalton will see that and make those passes the ones underneath.

That is going to be a huge difference. On top of that Matt's scheme more than players is what springs guys open. they aren't going to be relying on Dalton to make a play. They are just counting on him to be the point guard effectively, distributing the ball to the open guys and letting those guys make the play.

And that's not a knock on Dalton. Believe it or not that's what they asked of Mitch and Mitch just couldn't deliver.

I actually expect the Bears will be significantly better on offense and I also think the way things are lining up there's a real shot at Dalton throwing for 4000 yards this year.

Whether that's enough to save jobs, we will see.

but I do think fans get all too caught up in hot takes instead of actually sitting back and looking at the totality of a player and what they can do.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's going to take more than W/L for Nagy to be fired midseason. Marc wasn't even with a terrible team and KromerGate.