"The Plan"

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If they finish the first half of the season 1-7 it will be pretty difficult to keep them around. Try and envision the mood around the fanbase and the media.

And really, unless the Bears do something incredible between now and the start of the season I don't see them winning much more than five games. This roster sucks.

see this is what I mean by fans getting caught up in hot takes in the emotions of the moment.

This roster went 8-8 last year and certainly does not "suck".

Bears fans also don't know just what a big difference it will be having Dalton under the center instead of trubisky.

it's going to be a huge deal and you all will start to see that at the beginning of the year.

Keep in mind that I still say Dalton is an average quarterback.

what I am actually telling you is that all these quarterbacks that people have fallen in love with since the beginning of time on the Bears roster have been nothing more than below average quarterbacks, even the best of them.

When all you have ever eaten is gruel, a hamburger can look like a filet mignon.

I think the Bears go nine and seven or ten and six.

I do think that Dalton succeeds in throwing for over 4,000 yards.

And I think the question will become whether or not they keep pace and nagy depending on if they can win a playoff game.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have been saying the exact same thing. You are not off at all.

the one thing I will quibble with you about is that I do think they need a playoff win to keep their jobs.

This is about showing that nagy can run his system when he has a competent quarterback and the Bears not just making the playoffs but winning a game in the playoffs.

This is a complete and total "prove to me your philosophy works" season.

They don't need to win the Super Bowl nor are they going out of their way trying to.

They are trying to prove that Matt Nagy knows what he's doing with offense.

That's why I reject all these claims that Andy Dalton will be running what trubisky ran at the end of the season.

Sure the offensive coordinator will have input and they will run things Andy is comfortable with, but he is going to be running the full bore Matt Nagy offense so that Matt can put to bed this whole thing of him having to give up play calling duties.

Keep in mind that Mitch was too dumb to run Matt's system. Nick had his own opinions on how he wanted to run things, which is fine but then you better produce and he didn't.

With Andy, you got a super smart quarterback who is going to run the system the way you want it run and is going to be at least average doing it.

what I think will shock Bears fans who think Andy Dalton is a crap quarterback, is that

1) Dalton is not a crap quarterback at all. he's not a franchise level quarterback but he sustains average over his entire career and compared to what we've had it's going to look night and day different and better.

2) Dalton is going to see and hit the open receivers that Mitch always overlooked. Mitch would not see an open receiver somewhere between 8 to 13 times a game. Dalton will see that and make those passes the ones underneath.

That is going to be a huge difference. On top of that Matt's scheme more than players is what springs guys open. they aren't going to be relying on Dalton to make a play. They are just counting on him to be the point guard effectively, distributing the ball to the open guys and letting those guys make the play.

And that's not a knock on Dalton. Believe it or not that's what they asked of Mitch and Mitch just couldn't deliver.

I actually expect the Bears will be significantly better on offense and I also think the way things are lining up there's a real shot at Dalton throwing for 4000 yards this year.

Whether that's enough to save jobs, we will see.

but I do think fans get all too caught up in hot takes instead of actually sitting back and looking at the totality of a player and what they can do.

The bolded line I agree 100% with. Nagy has to prove he knows what he's doing. No more excuses. Put up or shut up time is here.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The bolded line I agree 100% with. Nagy has to prove he knows what he's doing. No more excuses. Put up or shut up time is here.

and if it wasn't going to be Russell Wilson I think Matt already decided he's going to ride or die with Dalton.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
and if it wasn't going to be Russell Wilson I think Matt already decided he's going to ride or die with Dalton.

Yeah, think I read it took 30 minutes to sign him after they got the official no from the Seahawks.

Ironically Dalton has to save Nagy's job and Nagy has to prove Dalton can start still or he's probably a backup the rest of his career.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Biggs article this morning says he knows Nagy goes to 2022 and he thinks Pace had a year tacked on to match.

If they really did have longer contracts why make the move they've been making?
Not makes sense this offseason so I really don’t know. Even their desperate moves make us worse lol

Montucky

Liked Posts:
see this is what I mean by fans getting caught up in hot takes in the emotions of the moment.

This roster went 8-8 last year and certainly does not "suck".
They got off to a miracle start where literally everything went right. DeAndre Swift dropped one win, Nick Foles led the Bears on a ferocious comeback that nobody believed was possible and they caught Tampa Bay on a Thursday and the GOAT forgot what down it was. Three fluke wins, it really should have been a five win season. Now they've lost their star cornerback.

And they've done nothing to really improve the offensive line, so the level of play you saw out of Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles is just going to be about the same from Andy Dalton. Quarterback isn't going to save them.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like if Pace and Nagy don't have long term security then they shouldn't be drafting another QB. The only way they get that security is by winning this year. I've calmed from last week but I still don't think the plan is viable.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
If they finish the first half of the season 1-7 it will be pretty difficult to keep them around. Try and envision the mood around the fanbase and the media.

And really, unless the Bears do something incredible between now and the start of the season I don't see them winning much more than five games. This roster sucks.
Unfortunately the roster doesn't suck like people like to think. It's pretty mediocre and middle of the pack. Offense has enough weapons to be average and will probably add some more. OL could be improved if they get a starting tackle. Defense is likely to still be solid. Pass rush should improve. Obviously fuller needs a legit replacement, but even without him the D is still good. ST could take a hit this year. The offseason has been disappointing and there's not a lot to look forward to, but the roster isn't nearly as bad as people are claiming

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The one thing I can't figure out is why everyone hates Dalton so much...

I mean, he's not Russell Wilson and he's not a franchise quarterback. But he is a decent quarterback who played behind a line that was even worse than the Bears worst last year.

The Bears interior line should be much improved to start the year and it said he was okay at right tackle. And for as much crap as Leno gets, he's an okay left tackle especially when you look at the rest of the league. His main issue is he gets too many penalties.

The tackles are definitely nothing to write home about but the interior is something that I could see solidifying and being something potentially special.

Frankly the one thing I wish the Bears would have done and maybe they still can do it because I don't think he signed anywhere yet is re-sign Patterson.

They used him in all the ways they typically use Cohen, and frankly Patterson was better at it.

But overall I think that the Bears are going to have a decent season and an entertaining one.

Maybe that's what some fans are afraid of most of all?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They got off to a miracle start where literally everything went right. DeAndre Swift dropped one win, Nick Foles led the Bears on a ferocious comeback that nobody believed was possible and they caught Tampa Bay on a Thursday and the GOAT forgot what down it was. Three fluke wins, it really should have been a five win season. Now they've lost their star cornerback.

And they've done nothing to really improve the offensive line, so the level of play you saw out of Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles is just going to be about the same from Andy Dalton. Quarterback isn't going to save them.

Last I checked the NFL doesn't have a category for fluke wins.

The Bears still went out and won those games.

past Bears teams I have seen still wouldn't have been able to even with those things.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately the roster doesn't suck like people like to think. It's pretty mediocre and middle of the pack.
It was mediocre and middle of the pack last year, now they've gotten a year older and a year worse.

Offense has enough weapons to be average and will probably add some more.
I don't know if they will.

OL could be improved if they get a starting tackle.
Ryan Pace hasn't prioritized the tackle position once in six year, he's not going to start now.

Defense is likely to still be solid.
By the end of last year it was bad. Now you've taken away one of its best players. I think this is where the bottom is really going to fall out, because Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn aren't showing any signs that they going to avert the obvious declines they are both on.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

For the hundreth time here..... the line was much better later in the year. And they get Daniels back. Yes, they need some more at tackle but the interior might just be set.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I feel like if Pace and Nagy don't have long term security then they shouldn't be drafting another QB. The only way they get that security is by winning this year. I've calmed from last week but I still don't think the plan is viable.

And certainly not trading future picks for one.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I mean, he's not Russell Wilson and he's not a franchise quarterback. But he is a decent quarterback who played behind a line that was even worse than the Bears worst last year.

The Bears interior line should be much improved to start the year and it said he was okay at right tackle. And for as much crap as Leno gets, he's an okay left tackle especially when you look at the rest of the league. His main issue is he gets too many penalties.

The tackles are definitely nothing to write home about but the interior is something that I could see solidifying and being something potentially special.

Frankly the one thing I wish the Bears would have done and maybe they still can do it because I don't think he signed anywhere yet is re-sign Patterson.

They used him in all the ways they typically use Cohen, and frankly Patterson was better at it.

But overall I think that the Bears are going to have a decent season and an entertaining one.

That's easy...... it's the hair.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
It was mediocre and middle of the pack last year, now they've gotten a year older and a year worse.

I don't know if they will.

Ryan Pace hasn't prioritized the tackle position once in six year, he's not going to start now.

By the end of last year it was bad. Now you've taken away one of its best players. I think this is where the bottom is really going to fall out, because Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn aren't showing any signs that they going to avert the obvious declines they are both on.
Everything you said is over dramatic. I feel like you are on a reality show trying to drive up ratings.

It's pretty absurd you don't think they'll add anything to the offense the rest of the offseason, but also seem to think the defense won't add any pieces. I guess they are forfeiting the draft?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
For the hundreth time here..... the line was much better later in the year. And they get Daniels back. Yes, they need some more at tackle but the interior might just be set.
They are going to try and force a guard to play right tackle again, which will have the same predictable consequences as it has every other time the Bears have tried it the last ten years. And the Charles Leno Jr. problem continues to not be resolved, this will be the third straight year he is bumbling and stumbling around letting opposing defenses wreak havoc.

The interior line has a lot of promise, I agree. I dont think it'll save them from Za'Darius Smith and Danielle Hunter though.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Everything you said is over dramatic. I feel like you are on a reality show trying to drive up ratings.

It's pretty absurd you don't think they'll add anything to the offense the rest of the offseason, but also seem to think the defense won't add any pieces. I guess they are forfeiting the draft?
I think they are going to trade up in the draft with their first and second round selections to take a quarterback. That's what I see, I could easily be wrong but they aren't just going to settle on Andy Dalton. This quarterback thing with Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy has become pathological.

Pace will get some solid contributors in the late rounds, but I have no idea at what position.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Pace/Nagy aren't going to risk their tenuous jobs on a rookie. Sure, if a top 5 QB falls to them at 20 they'll possiblly do it. But they aren't trading up or anything. They need to win now or they don't get to develop that QB.
They weren’t kept just to try to win this season while possibly destroying the future. They were kept because of EXACTLY the reason George said: they believe in Pace and Nagy.

Fans are more clueless than the owners they constantly gripe about...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

For one they pushed money into next year to make it happen. You don’t do that to sign dalton. Two it’s just another step sideways or backwards. If you’ve been a fan long enough of this franchise we want forward momentum. We’ve seen this movie before. What did we push into next year 40 mil of contracts? Which acquisition is worth hurting next year to the tune of 40 mil?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They weren’t kept just to try to win this season while possibly destroying the future. They were kept because of EXACTLY the reason George said: they believe in Pace and Nagy.

Fans are more clueless than the owners they constantly gripe about...

they were kept to save money