"The Plan"

Montucky

Liked Posts:
they were kept to save money
Yeah I tend to think this played a pretty big role. Two playoff wins in three years was enough of an excuse to give the Bears cover to make the decision for financial reasons. It'll cost half as much to fire them in January 2022, and that's when I expect them both to go (if not earlier).

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Any ownership or management not in it to win it all are shit bags.
These guys all know that AD will not get them there.
If a top 5 QB is there at 20, he has to be taken. Understood that it doesn’t maximize the current year, but 3rd or 4th off the board WR/CB/OT rookies generally are not ready to be pro bowl type contributors either. This years W/L record is for the most part is set with what they have. Maybe a great draft nets another win or two tops.
Let’s say that Jones is drafted and sits behind AD . If AD rocks it, all is well. If he doesn’t, Jones get a crack at it. Jones does well, Pace is a hero, Contract extension. If he craps out, at least Pace can go down having tried to say the future is better.
Let’s say they pass on Jones at 20, who then goes on to another team and shows big promise. Pace will have hung himself for passing him up.
If a top 5 QB is there at 20, they have to roll the dice. It leaves one of Trufant, AntMill, or one of the terrible OT’s on the field which sucks, but it is what it is.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Any ownership or management not in it to win it all are shit bags.
These guys all know that AD will not get them there.
If a top 5 QB is there at 20, he has to be taken. Understood that it doesn’t maximize the current year, but 3rd or 4th off the board WR/CB/OT rookies generally are not ready to be pro bowl type contributors either. This years W/L record is for the most part is set with what they have. Maybe a great draft nets another win or two tops.
Let’s say that Jones is drafted and sits behind AD . If AD rocks it, all is well. If he doesn’t, Jones get a crack at it. Jones does well, Pace is a hero, Contract extension. If he craps out, at least Pace can go down having tried to say the future is better.
Let’s say they pass on Jones at 20, who then goes on to another team and shows big promise. Pace will have hung himself for passing him up.
If a top 5 QB is there at 20, they have to roll the dice. It leaves one of Trufant, AntMill, or one of the terrible OT’s on the field which sucks, but it is what it is.
This brings up an interesting point, if the Bears draft a rookie who has the kind of year Justin Herbert had but the Bears finish well under .500 and miss the playoffs what happens? Does quarterback hope alone do enough to get people to believe?

I don't know. I do think it might be a more realistic path to Ryan Pace's job security than winning football games.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They weren’t kept just to try to win this season while possibly destroying the future. They were kept because of EXACTLY the reason George said: they believe in Pace and Nagy.

Fans are more clueless than the owners they constantly gripe about...
So cute. You still believe in George.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I feel like some of you still don't get it.

This year isn't about YOU. It isn't about winning a SUPERBOWL. It isn't about the FUTURE OF THIS FRANCHISE.

This year is a one year referendum On Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace. And the judges are the Mccaskeys - NOT YOU.

The only way the current moves make ANY sense is if this is the case.

Therefore Pace and Nagy don't give a fuck what you think.

Neither do the owners.

All conventional wisdom goes out the window in a year like this.

Now, if you said that's why they should have been fired... YOU'D BE RIGHT.

But ownership didn't. Ownership didn't fire them. Even though conventional wisdom says you should.

So why are you trying to apply conventional wisdom to the team when even ownership is eschewing it?

This is a referendum year. Instead of trying to understand the Bears from a fan's mind, understand it from the coach and gms perspective.

Nelly

Liked Posts:

This year isn't about YOU. It isn't about winning a SUPERBOWL. It isn't about the FUTURE OF THIS FRANCHISE.

This year is a one year referendum On Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace. And the judges are the Mccaskeys - NOT YOU.

Neither do the owners.

But ownership didn't. Ownership didn't fire them. Even though conventional wisdom says you should.

So why are you trying to apply conventional wisdom to the team when even ownership is eschewing it?

This is a referendum year. Instead of trying to understand the Bears from a fan's mind, understand it from the coach and gms perspective.
I agree, but at the same time, ownership really has all they need to see. Pace took his swing on the franchise QB and missed. Does that build confidence in his ability to find one in the draft now? Probably not. So it really comes down to "can Nagy run a functional NFL offense when given a functional quarterback?" Who cares? He was brought in to develop the franchise QB and did a terrible job of it, and did a terrible job of making his offense work with what he had. If a supposed offensive guru needs a specific set of circumstances to make his system work then he's probably not the right guy for the job.

What is just as likely is that ownership likes these guys and it's more likely that they'll get contract extensions next year (especially Pace) than they will be fired... unless of course the team completely falls flat on it's face. This is an old defense that's only getting older so it's not like even if they go 10-6 this year the arrow is pointing way up. They'd still have no QB of the future and would be losing high priced vets on defense (Hicks, Quinn, Mack) as early as next season.

Or perhaps more likely than anything, they know Pace/Nagy aren't the guys but this isn't the right offseason to replace them. The roster doesn't have much flexibility at all, the salary cap is artificially lowered and they'd have to pay 2 GM/coach salaries should they fire them. They could just be letting them ride out this season with a mandate to not spend any big free agent money beyond next offseason so the slate is relatively clean for a replacement in 2022.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Neither do the owners.

If the future of the franchise mattered the owners would allow pace to push 40 mil in cap space into next year. If it’s about the future you trade off players eat contracts this year so you can reload next year. Instead pace is operating like someone in government in charge of the deficit

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree, but at the same time, ownership really has all they need to see. Pace took his swing on the franchise QB and missed. Does that build confidence in his ability to find one in the draft now? Probably not. So it really comes down to "can Nagy run a functional NFL offense when given a functional quarterback?" Who cares? He was brought in to develop the franchise QB and did a terrible job of it, and did a terrible job of making his offense work with what he had. If a supposed offensive guru needs a specific set of circumstances to make his system work then he's probably not the right guy for the job.

What is just as likely is that ownership likes these guys and it's more likely that they'll get contract extensions next year (especially Pace) than they will be fired... unless of course the team completely falls flat on it's face. This is an old defense that's only getting older so it's not like even if they go 10-6 this year the arrow is pointing way up. They'd still have no QB of the future and would be losing high priced vets on defense (Hicks, Quinn, Mack) as early as next season.

Or perhaps more likely than anything, they know Pace/Nagy aren't the guys but this isn't the right offseason to replace them. The roster doesn't have much flexibility at all, the salary cap is artificially lowered and they'd have to pay 2 GM/coach salaries should they fire them. They could just be letting them ride out this season with a mandate to not spend any big free agent money beyond next offseason so the slate is relatively clean for a replacement in 2022.

You prove my point.

if ownership really has all they need to see from their vantage point, then Pace and Nagy would have been fired.

They haven't been.

You are interjecting your feelings in place of the owners.

Not defending the owners either.

But I can't help but wonder if some this is because fans don't want to think that Pace and Nagy can actually save their jobs.

But they can, and ownership is giving them the chance to.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
9 or 10 wins may not save their jobs. Its mediocrity with no direction. Its a wasted year. Dalton isn't the long term option.

If QB play is average, even with a good defense. Its simply not enough.

This year is about getting QB right, thats it. Its either we show promise at the position or we water aimlessly biting for more time to get it right. If its tge former Pace keeps his job. If its the latter its time to start over.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
For the UMPTEEN time there are 17 games in 2021!

Adjust your predictions according!

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The more likely reason for refusal to say how much time pace and Nagy have left is because saying anybody has a year left is real bad business. Nobody wants to play/coach for lame duck staff and it gives away leverage if everyone knows they are in desperation mode.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh look at this stalker replying to a thread I posted in within minutes. Also with a bad thought... I am super surprised.

:sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep::sweep:
:homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer:
That’s not the Montubby I know.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You prove my point.

if ownership really has all they need to see from their vantage point, then Pace and Nagy would have been fired.
I don't know if you can say that for sure. Keep in mind, we're talking some of the worst ownership in all of sports here, and this offseason is a unique one by normal standards thanks to covid and the lower salary cap. Considering the state of the team and the lower salary cap, the ownership could have been like "ah fuck it I don't want to fire these guys right now and double up my GM/Coach salary. Let's wait til next year when the cap goes back up and the new GM will have more flexibility with the roster."

The only other option the team could have gone this offseason is full blow-up like the Lions are doing, and obviously Pace/Nagy aren't going to do that. I'm not saying I know for sure, just thinking out loud here.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they have longer contracts then we know and are safe especially pace

This is what I'm coming around to.

I think Teflon Ryan has an extension. Nagy probably doesn't, but has two years left (iirc).

Last edited:

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
The leadership is so bad they can't even look at the player personnel and acknowledge it stinks. This is a bad team just from a personnel standpoint and Nagy isn't a coach that will outcoach anyone in this league. Unless the defense returns to 2018 form, this is a 4-12 team. That being said, this organization can't even seem to lose right so it's probably 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. Picking 18th-21st.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Basically you just took Biggs report this morning and put it in your own words.