Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does anyone else think this rule is stupid?

For example: The Raiders are now being investigated to see if they fully complied with the rule. Honestly, the Raiders have been wanting Gruden for years... now that he finally decided to come back to coaching, it was pretty much a given that he was going to get hired by the Raiders. Why should they have to interview two minority candidates, or any other candidate for that matter? They know who they're going to hire. If I was a minority candidate, I'd feel like I was wasting my time or being used to fulfil a stupid rule just so the guy they wanna hire anyway will get get hired without a hitch.

Not only that, but what if, hypothetically, a team just doesn't have a minority candidate interested in the HC job? Does the team have to force one to interview?

If a team doesn't want to hire a minority candidate, for whatever reason, this rule doesn't even mean they will or have to. They just have to interview them, then they can hire whoever they want to anyway.

What the hell's the point?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
minority candidates can practice interviewing skills? I don't mind the rule.

Uabhusker

Liked Posts:
Does anyone else think this rule is stupid?

For example: The Raiders are now being investigated to see if they fully complied with the rule. Honestly, the Raiders have been wanting Gruden for years... now that he finally decided to come back to coaching, it was pretty much a given that he was going to get hired by the Raiders. Why should they have to interview two minority candidates, or any other candidate for that matter? They know who they're going to hire. If I was a minority candidate, I'd feel like I was wasting my time or being used to fulfil a stupid rule just so the guy they wanna hire anyway will get get hired without a hitch.

Not only that, but what if, hypothetically, a team just doesn't have a minority candidate interested in the HC job? Does the team have to force one to interview?

If a team doesn't want to hire a minority candidate, for whatever reason, this rule doesn't even mean they will or have to. They just have to interview them, then they can hire whoever they want to anyway.

What the hell's the point?

I’ve always thought it would be embarrassing to know you’re only being interviewed to satisfy a rule. Nothing would make me feel “more” unequal that that.

Maybe just having the experience interviewing is worth it, but if the whole world knows it isn’t serious I’d agree with you. How is it helping? Maybe just for PR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There is only a requirement to interview, not hire like you said. The positive, it requires people to meet and discuss a common interest, which might lead to employment or future employment. I think the rule is to get people in a room who otherwise might not have had that conversation in the past and see what happens from there.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Trying to force people to not be racist probably won't work. It's not like a team who doesn't want to hire a black coach is going to interview then and then be like "shit Cletus, I done thank we was wrong about them colored folk this whole damn time."

Maybe there's a slight possibility that someone got noticed because of the rule, but wouldn't you rather be noticed because of your coaching? I don't know, I'm a white dude from middle America. I admittedly am not an authority on the matter. it just seems like it forces race to be an issue when it wouldn't have to be.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is only a requirement to interview, not hire like you said. The positive, it requires people to meet and discuss a common interest, which might lead to employment or future employment. I think the rule is to get people in a room who otherwise might not have had that conversation in the past and see what happens from there.

That totally makes sense, but in a case such at the Raiders one, what the hell's the point?

But even if it goes as you say... they really like the guy, but are still going with someone anyway... if that minority candidate was good, he'd stick around wherever he was for a while and wouldn't be hired in the future by you anyway. Or if he went elsewhere and sucked, well, again, he probably wouldn't be hired by you.

It just seems like a giant waste of time if you have your guy in mind.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
Trying to force people to not be racist probably won't work. It's not like a team who doesn't want to hire a black coach is going to interview then and then be like "shit Cletus, I done thank we was wrong about them colored folk this whole damn time."

Maybe there's a slight possibility that someone got noticed because of the rule, but wouldn't you rather be noticed because of your coaching? I don't know, I'm a white dude from middle America. I admittedly am not an authority on the matter. it just seems like it forces race to be an issue when it wouldn't have to be.

The Rooney Rule doesn't protect against overt racism. The Rooney Rule is there to protect against unintentional racism where teams just line up the first 5 white guys and pick a coach.

I'm not saying it's a good rule, but it's definitely not there to force racists not to be racist. Most racism isn't that easy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’ve always thought it would be embarrassing to know you’re only being interviewed to satisfy a rule. Nothing would make me feel “more” unequal that that.

Maybe just having the experience interviewing is worth it, but if the whole world knows it isn’t serious I’d agree with you. How is it helping? Maybe just for PR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key is to blow them away at the interview and get the job or the next one anyway. Guys have actually been hired and that's a good thing. If you're going to be that sensitive, you're probably not HC material anyway. This isn't in the Black guy's side of the court.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Race is an issue. This is forcing it to be less of one. It was definitely needed when enacted and guess what? Nobody's getting hurt here unless there's already some built in bias.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
We need a Rooney Rule for white players at every position besides QB, K, and P.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
while I think it is a bad rule, minority hiring is up since its inception. Having a larger pool of candidates is always good. The rule itself is unfortunate, but sadly needed.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not trying to make this a race issue.

The Raiders knew they wanted Gruden. Why waste their time interviewing anyone else?

The technically fulfilled the rule by interviewing two minority candidates.... but now there is an investigation because the Fritz Pollard Alliance believes they just set those interviews up to fulfil the rule, and they were going to hire Gruden anyway. Well no shit. How can you prove that you were SERIOUSLY considering a minority candidate?

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they really want to make a difference with minority hiring, they should implement a type of rooney rule for coordinator positions. 94% of coaches that are hired are offensive or defensive coordinators. Considering most coordinators are white, it would make sense that most HC are white.

Increase minority coordinators, and you'll naturally have more qualified minority coaches.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The Rooney Rule doesn't protect against overt racism. The Rooney Rule is there to protect against unintentional racism where teams just line up the first 5 white guys and pick a coach.

I'm not saying it's a good rule, but it's definitely not there to force racists not to be racist. Most racism isn't that easy.

No such thing.

This league is driven by wins and has an insanely high standard for success. There is no scenario where a minority coach is successful and doesn't get noticed aside from blatant racism.

It makes race an issue where it otherwise wouldn't be an issue.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That totally makes sense, but in a case such at the Raiders one, what the hell's the point?

But even if it goes as you say... they really like the guy, but are still going with someone anyway... if that minority candidate was good, he'd stick around wherever he was for a while and wouldn't be hired in the future by you anyway. Or if he went elsewhere and sucked, well, again, he probably wouldn't be hired by you.

It just seems like a giant waste of time if you have your guy in mind.

Perhaps but nobody is worse for it. Who was adversely affected here and why care so much about a few hour interview? I believe you can also avoid the process by elevating a coach or having your guy signed before the season is over. Situations the prove you already had your guy. The rule was enacted for good reason when some owners were displaying outward prejudice. Assuming that it's no longer an issue because those that this is aimed at have learned to keep their mouth shut is silly.

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
The rule is a disgrace and that fact that racism still exists to this day is a testament of the quality of the society.

I am white and I've been totally appalled by this shit though we try to hide ourselves behind our finger and talk about the national anthem and if players stand up or not.

Give me a break.

Out of respect I would never apply this rule.

The worst thing is that I can imagine white GM's laughing their ass of before starting such an "interview"

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
No such thing.

This league is driven by wins and has an insanely high standard for success. There is no scenario where a minority coach is successful and doesn't get noticed aside from blatant racism.

It makes race an issue where it otherwise wouldn't be an issue.

See, you're part of the problem. Thankfully, you're not in the NFL. But that "no such thing" attitude is what we're trying to combat.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps but nobody is worse for it. Who was adversely affected here and why care so much about a few hour interview? I believe you can also avoid the process by elevating a coach or having your guy signed before the season is over. Situations the prove you already had your guy. The rule was enacted for good reason when some owners were displaying outward prejudice. Assuming that it's no longer an issue because those that this is aimed at have learned to keep their mouth shut is silly.

No, you're right, this rule isn't hurting anyone. I know why it was put in place. I think the way that it is, is kind of dumb. And even when a team does comply, as the Raiders did, having your intent questioned is stupid. The Bears may have wanted Nagy the entire time... if that is found out, is it really fair for them to be penalized because they didn't seriously consider a minority candidate? It's just dumb.