The wide receiver market

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
He's so bad that he had two consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons and 11 TD's to go with that 1,000+ last year. He's as big as ARob, can go up and get the ball like ARob but ARob doesn't have the speed that Golladay has and it isn't even close. I like both but think Golladay is the better all around WR.

I never said he was bad? But he’s almost assuredly a guy who won’t age well?

if Golladay had any speed, he wouldn’t be so bad at getting separation. That’s kind of my point. The guy has no speed. He’s a high end possession receiver, a rich mans Anquon Boldin. He’s still a great receiver because of the unusual size and hands, but he’s likely a lateral move with many more issues on the roster.

the Bears have barely outscored the Bengals and Jets since start of 2017. I’m having trouble seeing how an oft injured, slow possession receiver from the LOLions significantly improves a 29th ranked offense. They need a big play guy like fuller or godwin, not a guy who can’t get separation consistently and has a host of lower body injuries.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

if Golladay had any speed, he wouldn’t be so bad at getting separation. That’s kind of my point. The guy has no speed. He’s a high end possession receiver, a rich mans Anquon Boldin. He’s still a great receiver because of the unusual size and hands, but he’s likely a lateral move with many more issues on the roster.

the Bears have barely outscored the Bengals and Jets since start of 2017. I’m having trouble seeing how an oft injured, slow possession receiver from the LOLions significantly improves a 29th ranked offense. They need a big play guy like fuller or godwin, not a guy who can’t get separation consistently and has a host of lower body injuries.

Fuller and Godwin have had major injuries

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It never hurts to check before you open your ................................

For the record KG's combine was

40 Yard Dash:4.50 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):18.18 (MPH)

Allen Robinson

40 Yard Dash:4.60 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):17.78 (MPH)

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
It never hurts to check before you open your ................................

For the record KG's combine was

40 Yard Dash:4.50 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):18.18 (MPH)

Allen Robinson

40 Yard Dash:4.60 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):17.78 (MPH)

Okay I give up.. sign golladay to max contract.. I’m sure his 40 yard dash half a decade ago is more relevant than his separation ability in 2019, 2020.. bears footbaw baby

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Paying a #1WR with no legitimate QB is a waste of money.

Having a legitimate QB with no WR to throw to is also bad. The Bears have to operate as if they are going to get a legitimate QB this offseason.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Having a legitimate QB with no WR to throw to is also bad. The Bears have to operate as if they are going to get a legitimate QB this offseason.

lets not hold our breath

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Also some of those drills are just BS and deceiving it’s okay to use your eyes too unless you think Andy Isabella is faster than DK Metcalf

people play at different speeds with pads

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
This thread is littered with inaccuracies about golladay and Robinson. They are two completely different players. Robinson is much more of a possession receiver and a guy who runs good routes to create separation. Golladay relies on big plays, as evidenced by his YPC. Golladay is better at high pointing the ball which helps him as a deep ball threat. Guys have any of you ever watched these two play?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Obviously, re-signing Robinson should be the move here. Say what you want about paying a WR without a QB, but I look at it as the Bears have 1 above average offensive player. If the goal is to have a good offense, how do you justify letting your 1 good offensive player leave? The Bears have done this several times before. Let Thomas Jones go, Greg Olsen, Alshon Jeffery. All those turned out to be disaster moves.

That being said, if the Bears cannot sign Robinson I'd go after Will Fuller. Fuller has his health issues, but was able to stay healthy this year until his suspension, granted it was a contract year. He's a big play WR but also showed he could be a true #1 type. He was on pace for nearly 1300 yards this year. But Fuller, while not a better WR than Robinson, he would really upgrade the team speed which is much needed. Fuller and Mooney would be as close to replicating the KC or Carolina speed as we're going to get in Chicago. Plus, there may be incentive for Fuller to take a shorter, cheaper deal with the hopes of cashing in big in a couple years. His value is not at his highest with his injury history and suspension. So, Fuller at 1-2 years for 10-12Mil may be better than Robinson at a franchise tag of 18Mil or a 5/100 type contract.

Corey Davis is another interesting option. He had a really good 2nd half of the season. And while he's not a true #1, between him and Mooney you'd have two solid #2s. I would also look to add a speedy slot in the mid rounds of the draft to upgrade/challenge Miller and spread the ball around much more than the Bears have the last couple years. Davis would also be much cheaper than Robinson, probably 12Mil range as well. And like was mentioned, he's from Chicago.

I definitely don't think Juju, Golladay or Godwin are viable options instead of Robinson. If the Bears are going to spend over 16Mil annually at WR, it should be for Robinson and ONLY Robinson.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread is littered with inaccuracies about golladay and Robinson. They are two completely different players. Robinson is much more of a possession receiver and a guy who runs good routes to create separation. Golladay relies on big plays, as evidenced by his YPC. Golladay is better at high pointing the ball which helps him as a deep ball threat. Guys have any of you ever watched these two play?

Quite a bit actually. Tillman had a point about Galloday and separation, but then choose to run with it and make comments in which he had no clue what he was talking about. Robinson isn't faster than Galloday. Galloday does get less seperation than Robinson/ Why is that? Variety of reasons, most importantly the coverages they face, the routes they are asked to run, and the role they play in their respective systems.

And to be honest, does anyone have any idea how they measure the separation stat? do they look at all routs the receiver runs, regardless of whether or not the ball was thrown to him? Or is this stat only using separation per target? If it's the latter, of course he has low separation, because Stafford trusts him to win contested throws into tight windows.

heading into 2021, I thought Galloday had a slight edge over AR in terms of value. Now that Galloday has only seen limited playing time in 2020, I tend to lean a little the other way. Robinson Stats are skewed on the YPC because he doesn't have a QB that can be trusted to throw the ball more than 10 yards on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Quite a bit actually. Tillman had a point about Galloday and separation, but then choose to run with it and make comments in which he had no clue what he was talking about. Robinson isn't faster than Galloday. Galloday does get less seperation than Robinson/ Why is that? Variety of reasons, most importantly the coverages they face, the routes they are asked to run, and the role they play in their respective systems.

And to be honest, does anyone have any idea how they measure the separation stat? do they look at all routs the receiver runs, regardless of whether or not the ball was thrown to him? Or is this stat only using separation per target? If it's the latter, of course he has low separation, because Stafford trusts him to win contested throws into tight windows.

heading into 2021, I thought Galloday had a slight edge over AR in terms of value. Now that Galloday has only seen limited playing time in 2020, I tend to lean a little the other way. Robinson Stats are skewed on the YPC because he doesn't have a QB that can be trusted to throw the ball more than 10 yards on a consistent basis.

I believe it's separation on all routes. Anthony Miller, for example, had great separation numbers in previous years but his separation per target was below average. Not sure where I read that.

But a big difference in separation between Robinson and Golladay is that Robinson is a much better route runner. He has better short area quickness, while Golladay has better build up and long speed.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

I actually think you're insight is more useful than what others are saying here? Do you actually think they are similar players?

I'm sure Robinson stats are skewed by his qb play, he has only had 1 year where his ypc is similar to golladay. I think the staff runs him on shorter routes because he is more effective that way as well though. From what I've seen from them, they aren't really similar players.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Okay I give up.. sign golladay to max contract.. I’m sure his 40 yard dash half a decade ago is more relevant than his separation ability in 2019, 2020.. bears footbaw baby

Don't give up mad, just give up.

Golladay is a great WR but the injury issues are his biggest issue. He has great speed for a guy his size. I'm just saying out of the free agent WR's he's my top guy when it comes to overall talent with ARob not far behind and C.Godwin not too far behind ARob and not sure i even have him behind ARob and more on par with ARob but just different in the way they play the game or what they're good or bad at.

Love W.Fuller but if you're gonna complain about Golladay's injuries then you damn sure shouldn't have Fuller ahead of him on your list cause that dude stays injured.

I like JuJu but Pitt played him in the slot mostly, i'm sure he could be a good outside WR as well. My biggest issue with him is his shit he does outside of the games with the dancing on every teams logo so he can post it on his social media sites and his mouth like calling out the Browns before the game saying the Browns are the same "Nameless Gray Faces" they've always been and saying "The Browns is the Browns" only to get wooped by those Browns and knocked out of the playoffs.

I don't know what Pace is thinking but this is obviously his most important offseason he's ever had and if you're gonna let a talent like ARob walk then you better not plan on replacing him with a WR that's been a #2 or #3 type WR his whole career and if the plan is to replace him in the draft then you better hit big and better draft one in the first 2-3 rounds.

If you're gonna replace him with some of the WR's we want like Golladay or Godwin or JuJu then you should just pay ARob cause they're all gonna be right around the same amount of money.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Paying a #1WR with no legitimate QB is a waste of money.

Yeah that's another thing about all of this. We have zero idea what Pace's plan is but if we're right and he's working for his job then you gotta think he's thinking getting one of these top 5-6 QB's in the draft, whether that takes trading up or taking your shot with whatever one is still there at #20 or with our 2nd round pick, or signing or trading for one of these veteran QB's that will be in free agency or up for trade this offseason and if the plan is to go for it then you gotta get whoever the QB is a legit WR to play opposite D.Mooney.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
My preference is to keep A Rob. Only godwin would make me change that desire.

agreed on fuller too, although if he keeps taking steroids and stays out of trouble he might be a worthy investment. That speed is real.

if the bears can get one more guy with high end speed, their offense suddenly becomes one of the more explosive ones at skill position talent.