The XFL Coming Back In 2020

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but flyovers don't scream politics to me just like the National Anthem does not scream police brutality me and God Bless America does not scream age discrimination to me.

Here is my take on protests. If I was to ever be a protester, I'd choose to do it in a topically relevant area. If I was to protest abortion, I'd do it outside an abortion clinic and not a neo-natal clinic. If I was protesting Weight Watchers, I would not do it outside a Golden Corral AUCE restaurant. If I were protesting police brutality, I'd do it outside a police station or city hall but not in a sporting event. I know that would be a crazy approach.

So basically, the flyovers and the anthem are suitable to your "Americanness". Like I said in another post, "people ... don't want other peoples' politics in their football"

Washington

Liked Posts:
So basically, the flyovers and the anthem are suitable to your "Americanness". Like I said in another post, "people ... don't want other peoples' politics in their football"

Your words, not mine. But, flyovers don't represent politics to me. The National Anthem does not represent politics to me either.

I know I'm crazy that I feel people should do their protests in places that are applicable to their cause. Protesting age discrimination, domestic abuse, child abuse, police brutality, etc in sporting events is not what paying customers are there to see nor are those venues applicable to such protests.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Your words, not mine. But, flyovers don't represent politics to me. The National Anthem does not represent politics to me either.

I know I'm crazy that I feel people should do their protests in places that are applicable to their cause. Protesting age discrimination, domestic abuse, child abuse, police brutality, etc in sporting events is not what paying people are there to see nor are those venues applicable to such protests.

And maybe the military should do their propoganda, or "advertising" in another forum, or some may want to respond to it.

Just for so, I agree with your sentiment to leave politics and protests out of sports. Beyonce's Super Bowl fiasco was bullshit to me also.

AussieBear

I know I'm crazy that I feel people should do their protests in places that are applicable to their cause. Protesting age discrimination, domestic abuse, child abuse, police brutality, etc in sporting events is not what paying customers are there to see nor are those venues applicable to such protests.

yeah.. like doing a flyover at an airshow instead.. or the singing of the national anthem at americas got talent...

Washington

Liked Posts:
And maybe the military should do their propoganda, or "advertising" in another forum, or some may want to respond to it.

Just for so, I agree with your sentiment to leave politics and protests out of sports. Beyonce's Super Bowl fiasco was bullshit to me also.

I don't disagree with you. I am separating politics and protests and obviously am not defining politics the same as you and Gus. I'd have no issue with patriotism being removed from the game as it really makes no sense.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
When I go to a football game, I don't want to see protests in the stadium regardless of the cause or peacefulness. I am there to see a football game. Do those protests outside the stadium. I would feel the same if the protests were in restaurants where I went for a meal, a movie theater, or anywhere else where I am paying for a specific experience. Keep ALL politics outside of sports.

Out of curiosity, how do these protests prevent you from seeing a football game? They do not take place during the actual game, do not effect the actual game, and has nothing to do with the actual game. The same can be said about the anthem being played. So the argument that a protest shouldn't happen because you are there to watch a football game is a bit stupid because they aren't stopping the football game from being played to protest.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The purpose of them protesting at a sporting event isn't for the relevance of their cause but for the national stage and to bring awareness at a national level. If Kaepernick went to a SF police department and protested in front of the station...it may get a little local coverage and maybe some national coverage. Him taking a knee during the national anthem has given his cause national attention for two years and people are still talking about it even when he wasn't on an NFL team.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Out of curiosity, how do these protests prevent you from seeing a football game? They do not take place during the actual game, do not effect the actual game, and has nothing to do with the actual game. The same can be said about the anthem being played. So the argument that a protest shouldn't happen because you are there to watch a football game is a bit stupid because they aren't stopping the football game from being played to protest.

My opinions have been stated above about how I feel protests should be done at venue relative places. I don't feel sporting events are venue to relative places for many topics.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't disagree with you. I am separating politics and protests and obviously am not defining politics the same as you and Gus. I'd have no issue with patriotism being removed from the game as it really makes no sense.

Fair enough. FTR, you and I should never have the same definition of politics (or patriotism for that matter), and that's obviously the larger point that so many are missing.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My opinions have been stated above about how I feel protests should be done at venue relative places. I don't feel sporting events are venue to relative places for many topics.

vvvvv

The purpose of them protesting at a sporting event isn't for the relevance of their cause but for the national stage and to bring awareness at a national level. If Kaepernick went to a SF police department and protested in front of the station...it may get a little local coverage and maybe some national coverage. Him taking a knee during the national anthem has given his cause national attention for two years and people are still talking about it even when he wasn't on an NFL team.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Oh man, I just read a fantastic article about the 1987 players strike. One of the things the union president wanted to do was have the opening kickoff take all 15 minutes of the first quarter, and then repeat it for the next three. He felt the players getting together and doing it as a group would really stick it to the owners and the league.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

100% agree.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You sound like you're describing a totalitarian dictatorship. Couple of points of note for you:-

- Our anthem is not a military song, it's the anthem of the whole country and belongs to all citizens. Colin Kaepernick's cause - equality of all citizens - is a real American value worth standing (or kneeling, if you see fit) for.

- A country can't be called free if its citizens are forced to join the military (or any other organization or institution).

- Our military hasn't been involved in any kind of fight for our freedom since WW2. Korea, Vietnam and Iraq never have and never will be threats to our freedom. These wars are about economic strategy and are for the benefit of corporations, not your freedom or mine.

- Loving your country is not defined by anything related to the military. Simply appreciating our common values and enjoying where we live and the people we share it with is just fine. You don't get to define patriotism and you don't get to decide who loves and hates America or the reasons as to why.

Hope this helps.

STFU Mick, you are so fucking clueless and stop spreading your ignorant crap. WOW

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
STFU Mick, you are so fucking clueless and stop spreading your ignorant crap. WOW

lol @ this impressive rebuttal to the post you responded to. How can I possibly follow that?

Washington

Liked Posts:
OK - some people feel protests at sporting events are a good thing and others would prefer they are not held there. I personally don't even know if the protests are still happening because I don't tune in anymore until the kickoff. For all I know, people are buying tickets to go to the games just because they like the protests. We all are entitled to our opinions and choices.

So let's say you have a huge chunk of change invested into the new XFL startup. Do you 1) not allow the protests or 2) allow/promote the protests? What is best for the bottom line and viewership of the brand?

Let's say you chose #2. Would it make sense to expand on the protests? It seems discriminatory to me that only the people on the field get to utilize the large stage and TV for their protests. Shouldn't the fans who pay to enter the venue be allowed the same luxury as those being paid to be in the venue? Same with the workers at the venue. They might even have venue specific reasons to protest such as poor wages, discrimination, bad working conditions, etc. Let them all on the field to give them the same venue you are granting to the people already on the field. That only seems fair to me. If the protests are so positively viewed amongst the vast majority of the people, might they play into the favor of the new product?

You are the owner. What do you do?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
OK - some people feel protests at sporting events are a good thing

You are the owner. What do you do?

To your first sentence, I don't know if that's really true.

To your last, I would not have a national anthem at a domestic sporting event, and I would make it clear that the "stage" belongs to ownership and the league, and is not there for people to air grievances.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
OK - some people feel protests at sporting events are a good thing
I just want to correct one thing here. I don't think protests over anything are a particularly good thing, because I wish everyone shared the same opinions on things, such as: unarmed black teenagers should not be shot and killed by the police. That said, being able to protest is an important right in our society.