Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

supraman

Liked Posts:
(Note this post is not considering tradability or contract status)

First off whichever coach that runs the power play needs to be fired. Q needs to follow him out the door for allowing it to happen over the course of two seasons. Q had plenty of time to figure out it wasn't working and give the power play to the other assistant or handle it himself. Regardless, he dropped the ball on a glaring error. The roster is simply too good to be this inept on special teams.

Players that need to go are:

Morrison, O'donnell and Brunette, too old and too useless. I was excited for Brunette I thought he was going to really help our PP woes, I was wrong.

Kruger, he is not an NHL caliber player. Not enough offensive skill for the 2nd or even 3rd line and too small for the 4th line. He's probably an awesome AHL 2nd line center but Kruger is not an NHL player.

Bickell, Shows flashes of a lot of skill but just not enough to stay on the team

Hammer, he had a great season in '10 and I was excited with the signing but he's seemed to have regressed and at 3.5mil he isn't worth it.

Oduya, those that said he was a turnover machine....they weren't lying. Sorry don't want to see this guy back with the hawks.

Guys I'm on the fence on

Crow, less than stellar regular season, playoffs he was lights out except for the last two charmin soft OT winners. So if he was around next season I wouldn't be upset and if we had a new netminder I wouldn't be upset either.

Hossa, I know everyone loves Hoss and I'm going to pretty much get flamed for this but I really think Hossa is worth more as a trade than as a player. I think we could get a fortune for him and the sum of the trade we would get back would be greater than Hossa's value. But if he's with us next season (which is pretty much a 99.9% chance) I won't be upset.

To Add:

New assistant coach at the very least. I would love the guy that runs the Flyers PP, it is so dynamic. They even ran the play the hawks run, it didn't work they just reloaded and tried something else and then scored.

More guys with grit/skill combo, Ladd is a great example, he's a perfect 3rd line player in Chicago, solid hockey smarts, grinds hard, and scores just enough that you have to take him seriously. I would love Mike Richards but that's pipe dreaming. We need to add just a bit more physicality to our top 6. I'm not talking about changing this team and making them a physical team but the '10 team had that perfect balance, they didn't hit much but they did often enough that that part of their game had to be respected.

We aren't in horrible shape as a team but we do have some glaring issues that take us out of the elite category and we are just really damn good.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Refuse to even consider crap like this until they are eliminated.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Start with the GM and work downhill.

Focus on hockey instead of superfluous bullshit.

Tim

Liked Posts:
What changes ? All is good. Multiple seasons of every home game a sell out.

Ticket prices are increasing, convention sold out rapidly, waiting list for season tickets sit at 10,000. Jersey sales are high.

Why make changes?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
More skill and grit on the bottom 6, hopefully having Carcillo (must be less stupid) will help it some. A legit #2 center that can win faceoffs OR a 3rd liner if Bolland is moved up. A solid D-man that can eat minutes, maybe Montador can do it, but would like another body in case of injuries.

As for goalies, depends on what is for sale, or then they could hope that this is just a sophomore slump for Crawford. He did have a great season last year and skills just don't disappear like that. He still has it, just needs the confidence.

New assistant coach, Kitchen has been useless. Add Barry Smith as a full-time assistant and make Q a little uncomfortable and maybe he can start coaching a little more dynamically.

Players need to start concentrating on defense first and then they can get fancy with the offensive skills they have. Fundamentals of the game must be in order before anything else and this season it has lacked more or less the whole season. The fact that they managed a 9 game losing streak and still ended up with over 100+ points says something of the skill this team has.

Maybe it was too optimistic too think that the Hawks could go deep this year, only 2 years after winning it all and gutting the team. It seems that it still has to find its new identity. Maybe that's what management thought and is the reason that they did minimal changes during the TDL.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Move Bolland for Statsny (2nd line center..helps the pp)

Dump Frolik for anything (this playoffs may be a saving grace)

Move Hjarllmarson to WASH for Mike Green (helps the pp)

Sign Matt Carle

Saad-Toews-Kane

Sharp-Statsny-Hossa

Bickell-Kruger-Shaw

Carcillo-Mayers-Stalberg

(Hayes...Morin...Beach all compete w/Saad)

Keith-Green

Seabrook-Leddy

Olsen-Carle

Mondador

Goaltending....ugh

supraman

Liked Posts:
More skill and grit on the bottom 6, hopefully having Carcillo (must be less stupid) will help it some. A legit #2 center that can win faceoffs OR a 3rd liner if Bolland is moved up. A solid D-man that can eat minutes, maybe Montador can do it, but would like another body in case of injuries.

As for goalies, depends on what is for sale, or then they could hope that this is just a sophomore slump for Crawford. He did have a great season last year and skills just don't disappear like that. He still has it, just needs the confidence.

New assistant coach, Kitchen has been useless. Add Barry Smith as a full-time assistant and make Q a little uncomfortable and maybe he can start coaching a little more dynamically.

Players need to start concentrating on defense first and then they can get fancy with the offensive skills they have. Fundamentals of the game must be in order before anything else and this season it has lacked more or less the whole season. The fact that they managed a 9 game losing streak and still ended up with over 100+ points says something of the skill this team has.

Maybe it was too optimistic too think that the Hawks could go deep this year, only 2 years after winning it all and gutting the team. It seems that it still has to find its new identity. Maybe that's what management thought and is the reason that they did minimal changes during the TDL.

yeah that's another good point. Think we can just get our old 4th line back? Love or hate those guys, Fraser, Burish, Eager was the best 4th line in the league hell that line rivaled some teams 3rd lines.

Bolland deserves the promotion to 2nd line. Give him some good wingers and he can be lights out.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
god help me. I'm starting to feel for Frolik the way I did last year during the playoffs.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
BUT HE'S PLAYING SO GOOD!!!!!
<

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Don't........get........sucked.......in......lol

He and Bickell....wtf? It's kind of humorous

supraman

Liked Posts:
Yeah but look at the whole picture they've made blips in the playoffs. but were nowhere in the regular season. Sure you can throw buff and Bolland at me and say they are quiet in the regular season, the difference is those two can dominate games in the playoffs. Fuck Buff dominated a series against the nucks, hell even against SJ he was beast mode.

So really Frolik and Bickell don't make a big enough playoff splash to deal with their bullshit during the regular season.

I am so disappointed in the hawks. I figured they would play mediocre in the regular season, just get into the playoffs and then unleash the beast.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Stupid re-signing, once they found out what Shaw could do there was no need to sign Caricillo. There is already too much redundancy on this team in the wrong direction.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some guys are monsters in the regular season (Hossa), and some guys are monsters in the playoffs (Frolik). You need both.

IMHO if there's anything we need next year, it's to clear out all of the old guys and make room for some young blood. I think the reason why Saad, Shaw, Olsen, & Hayes have looked so good in their stints up here is because of their flexibility and willingness to do the little things that it seems our vets and core no longer do.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Some guys are monsters in the regular season (Hossa), and some guys are monsters in the playoffs (Frolik). You need both.

IMHO if there's anything we need next year, it's to clear out all of the old guys and make room for some young blood. I think the reason why Saad, Shaw, Olsen, & Hayes have looked so good in their stints up here is because of their flexibility and willingness to do the little things that it seems our vets and core no longer do.

I'd like to see Kyle Beach given a fucking chance.