These Mongtomery/Howard comparisons are terrible..

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The last 3 years the players I watched a lot of and really wanted the Bears to land were Mahomes, Anthony Miller and David Montgomery, so I feel very good about this pick.

marothisu

Liked Posts:
Except most college RB's have a lower YPC in the NFL so his 4.7 will most likely dip in the NFL.

You might want to watch video and see how terrible Iowa State's offensive line was, and then realize that him getting 4.7 YPC with that O-Line is actually pretty damn good.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There are a couple of others as well

David Johnson 4.1
Chris Carson 5

It is difficult to find many apples to apples comparisons because Montgomery was on a worst team that many of the guys who came from powerhouse teams.

The Cyclones were 8-5 the past 2 years and are up and coming. Their QB Purdy looks like a player. I’m seeing a lottttt of excuses.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So I just went through the top 20 RB's (in yards) last year and of those 20 RB's only one had a career college average below 4.7 yards. Peyton Barber of the Bucs. Who also happened to have the lowest YPC of any of those top 20 RB's. (tied with JHow at 3.7 YPC)

Most RB's seemed to average 6 yards or more. Definitely 5+ yards.

Yikes

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Cyclones were 8-5 the past 2 years and are up and coming. Their QB Purdy looks like a player. I’m seeing a lottttt of excuses.

Someone posted the ranking of their O line, and you posted their overall record and an opinion on the QB. Not sure where you come up with calling them excuses when you are the one skewing the numbers.

Speaking of actual facts, Montgomery averaged only 1.1 yards per carry before contact, yet still 4.7 overall. That 4.7 was not easy to come by, like it is for backs playing behind 4 OL who get drafted.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, circumstantial evidence. Super convincing if you want to believe something.

I watched the circumstances in totality, 4 games worth at least. The line didn’t seem to hurt Purdy or Hakeem Butler.

Butler was clearly the prospect to nab off that team. Bears took the wrong guy.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Someone posted the ranking of their O line, and you posted their overall record and an opinion on the QB. Not sure where you come up with calling them excuses when you are the one skewing the numbers.

Speaking of actual facts, Montgomery averaged only 1.1 yards per carry before contact, yet still 4.7 overall. That 4.7 was not easy to come by, like it is for backs playing behind 4 OL who get drafted.

You talk as if 4 OL being drafted from the same team is a normal thing.

Do me a favor and check how many of Memphis’ OL are nfl prospects and then check Darrell Henderson’s YPC.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Do me a favor and check how many of Memphis’ OL are nfl prospects and then check Darrell Henderson’s YPC.

What are you even talking about? Who had 4 o-lineman drafted? Why don't you check out who Memphis played before spouting nonsense.

None of what you're saying is relevant. Montgomery shows elite balance and vision, he is quick and can make people miss. He defeats an insane number of tackles. He has good hands, catches away from his body. He is an effective pass blocker. He lacks long speed but has more then enough burst to get to the edge. He runs with power, balance and determination. That's what the tape shows. A guy playing behind a garbage o-line who broke numerous tackles and earned every yard he got. He is also by all accounts a high character locker room leader. I believe Nagy called him a culture setter.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The comparison is shite.

Jordan Howard is a 2-down, slashing zone runner with great vision and power who will get what is blocked and fall forward for a few extra. He can be a last resort receiving option who won’t be spectacular in the open field.

David Montgomery is a 3-down, all-around back with great vision who can beat you with power or make you miss with his “wiggle”. He can be a legitimate option in the passing game who will beat the first tackler more times than not and has a good chance to make the 2nd and 3rd guy miss or pay for crossing his path. The only thing he can’t do is take it to the house - a very overrated part of being a RB.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Well I would do that if the argument was about the Hendersons yards per carry but it is it has nothing to do with him

so now you’re going to change the tune to “we should’ve got Henderson instead of Montgomery”?

Why must we determined that the GM is wrong on every pick before we seen any of these guys play in the pros ?

Have we really reached the point where we are convinced that Henderson is just a far superior back to Montgomery before we have seen either one of them run the ball in the NFL?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I watched the circumstances in totality, 4 games worth at least. The line didn’t seem to hurt Purdy or Hakeem Butler.

Butler was clearly the prospect to nab off that team. Bears took the wrong guy.

The OL didn’t hurt a WR. Ok

Well, that WR dropped pretty far from where he was expected to go, so maybe they did. ?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, circumstantial evidence. Super convincing if you want to believe something.
Isn't all evidence "circumstantial" in football?

Actually, let's make this easier, for your sake. There's only 2 types of evidence that exist in this world: circumstantial and direct. Can you provide me an example of direct evidence in football?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Isn't all evidence "circumstantial" in football?

Actually, let's make this easier, for your sake. There's only 2 types of evidence that exist in this world: circumstantial and direct. Can you provide me an example of direct evidence in football?

Uhm, no, game film is literally direct evidence. I'll help you. If I murder someone, video of me doing it is direct evidence. Circumstantial evidence would be someone saying other people who looked like me have been murderers.

If anyone wants to debate anything about his actual game tape, do it. Show me examples of why he won't succeed in the NFL. THAT'S direct evidence. Saying "no other good backs averaged 4.7 yards a carry there for Montgomery can't be good" is nothing but specious reasoning.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Uhm, no, game film is literally direct evidence. I'll help you. If I murder someone, video of me doing it is direct evidence. Circumstantial evidence would be someone saying other people who looked like me have been murderers.
Awesome, i ask for an example of direct evidence in football and you talk about murder.

Unless your baseline for direct evidence is Aaron Hernandez, I'd say you're dithering.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Awesome, i ask for an example of direct evidence in football and you talk about murder.

Unless your baseline for direct evidence is Aaron Hernandez, I'd say you're dithering.

See, this is direct evidence you did not read my post.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
See, this is direct evidence you did not read my post.
Your postings are direct evidence that you should read more and post less.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anyone that thinks "examples of why.." can be construed as "direct evidence" is a moron. Just my opinion i guess, and probably the opinion of anyone that knows even slightly what they're talking about.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Anyone that thinks "examples of why.." can be construed as "direct evidence" is a moron. Just my opinion i guess, and probably the opinion of anyone that knows even slightly what they're talking about.

So a video is not evidence? Is that your point?