These Mongtomery/Howard comparisons are terrible..

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it perplexing that many people are already so certain that Montgomery is a superior running back to Howard. Forget the college scouting reports, Jordan Howard has already proven himself in the actual NFL. Two of his three seasons, Howard was a top 5 and top 10 back in the league. Once upon a time, Todd Gurley had an even worse season than Howard did last year due to his failed run blocking and scheme fit. Calling Montgomery the better player is kinda crazy at this point in time.

As with all drafted players, he will have to do it on the field. That being said I think the Bears are comfortable that they will be able to do other things with Montgomery that Howard could not. Whether he will be successful with what they want him to do, will remain a mystery until the season starts.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I find it perplexing that many people are already so certain that Montgomery is a superior running back to Howard. Forget the college scouting reports, Jordan Howard has already proven himself in the actual NFL. Two of his three seasons, Howard was a top 5 and top 10 back in the league. Once upon a time, Todd Gurley had an even worse season than Howard did last year due to his failed run blocking and scheme fit. Calling Montgomery the better player is kinda crazy at this point in time.
Hey, STFU, CCS has already penciled him in for 1200 yds and 13 TDs.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seriously I think people looked at their similar 40 times and said "yep they are the same back". This is Special person. They are completely different runners.

Howard was a straight up traditional power back, tries to run over defenders, lower his head into contact, north south runner, rarely targeted in passing game. Very little horizontal shiftiness.

Montgomery runs with significant horizontal shiftiness, making sharp cuts and generally trying to make a defender miss first instead of trying to run him over. Won't hesitate to bounce it outside. Will stop/start. Significantly more dynamic runner, but definitely less powerful.

They really have 2 completely different styles. Honestly you could put Howard and Cohen on opposite ends of the RB spectrum and find Montgomery in the middle.

I am not saying the Montgomery is the next coming. I think he is a much better fit because of his ability to contribute in the passing game and I am excited about that.

But seriously folks you can't just look at a combine number and say players are similar.
Thank you..was arguing on draft day..nothing alike in running style

Canth

Liked Posts:

Jordan Howard is a decent running back, but his production has slipped every year in the league. Yes, in terms of yards he was top 5 and then top 10 in rushing. But seeing how everyone wants to talk about yards/attempt, Howard went from #4 (5.2 ypc) in 2016 to #20 (4.1 ypc) in 2017 to #39 (3.7 ypc) in 2018.

I get that it is early to declare Montgomery a superior runningback as the guy has not played a single NFL game. But, at an early glance, he appears to have the traits to be a better scheme fit for Nagy's offense. With the runningback by committee approach that I expect from Nagy this season, I am not expecting Montgomery to have ridiculous total yard numbers, but I would expect him to have better production in terms of yards per attempt, and better receiving numbers than Howard had in 2018 and hopefully better than what Howard did in 2017 too.

As far as the Khareem Hunt comparison goes, looking at 2017's pure rushing numbers, he had 1327 yards (#1) on 4.9 ypc (#4). In 2018, Hunt was getting 4.6 ypc through 11 games.

Now, looking at the receiving element, Hunt also had 455 receiving yards on 53 reception (8.6 ypr) in 2017. In 2018, in just 11 games, Hunt had 378 receiving yards on 26 receptions (14.5 ypr).

In 2017, Howard had 125 yards on 23 receptions (5.4 ypr). In 2018, Howard had 145 yards on 20 receptions (7.3 ypr). Interestingly, Howard had 298 yards on 29 receptions in 2016 (10.3 ypr) but his catch % was only 58%. In 2017 and 2018, Howard's catch % went up into the 70's but for less ypr.

Now, in trying to look beyond the numbers, I think the other main point that has been mentioned before is that the offense was too predictable just based on personnel groupings last year. Essentially, if Howard was in the game, the chances were a lot higher that the play would be a run than a pass except in obvious passing downs/situations. So, the thought process is that Montgomery and Davis for that matter bring that element of receiving threat that Howard has not really had the past couple of years to make the offense less predictable and consequently more productive as a whole.

Monster

Liked Posts:
I really liked Howard and was one of my favorite players. His play seemed to slow a lot last year... especially running outside.
I’m no scout but a 6th round pick was the best offer from those that evaluate play at a pro level. If it was a mistake the proof will be evident by mid season. I hope Monty is the answer.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I was beginning to think I was the only one that had this same thought process.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Montgomery looks his worst when he has daylight and open field.

It seems high risk to have a back where you have to project what he could look like in a functional offense.

Howard wasn’t a good fit and is gone, and that situation is separate from the current search for the right fit.

Cohen, Davis, Montgomery, Nall, Whyte...

They brought some different types of horses to try and at the very least have assembled a diverse committee that has 5 dual threats.

None of those players can do what Howard can, but any of them and certainly as a committee can replicate the value Howard brought to this particular offense.

We get why they moved on...now it’s hold onto your breathe while they search for the answer.

Sure you can just find a back in later rounds...but that thought often ignores the number of misses before you find the right guy.

I’m optimistic and appreciate that this group can all catch and run routes better than Howard and none of them will bitch about touches after a win.

EVERYBODY

Liked Posts:
Montgomery is "built" TO SUCCEED with his shorter leg:torso ratio. At 5'10 he has the legs of a quicker 5'8'er and the strength of a 222 lb'er. Can't wait to see him sprung to the 2nd level by Ridley blocking instead of Gabriel trying

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Montgomery is a superior RB in Nagy's system. Honestly, even if he's a complete bust, he cant be worse than Howard in it.

His goose egg stat line in the NFL says otherwise. He hasn't proven anything yet to elevate him past any NFL pros. Period.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
His goose egg stat line in the NFL says otherwise. He hasn't proven anything yet to elevate him past any NFL pros. Period.
He's proven it to Nagy. Thats all that matters, as he know what he wants/needs in a RB.

You don't.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Did you people even watch last season? Howard never looked comfortable, and the offense looked totally different when he was in the game. Nebulous "better" arguments mean nothing. Obviously Montgomery is a rookie so no one knows what he will be.

The irony of course is that Howard was drafted by Pace because he fit Fox's offense, was traded by Pace because he didn't fit Nagy's offense, but somehow Pace couldn't possibly draft the right guy because he let go of the player he drafted who was better...

It makes no sense. Pace and Nagy know exactly what Jordan Howard is, and exactly what they wanted in his replacement. They targeted David Montgomery. Wether it works out or not remains to be seen. I have no idea why any Bears fan wouldn't be excited for this team, or for Montgomery. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I always assumed fans want things to work out for their team.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I always assumed fans want things to work out for their team.
So boring... Not a single person has expressed any sort of sentiment here that they "don't want things to work out" for the Bears.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
So boring... Not a single person has expressed any sort of sentiment here that they "don't want things to work out" for the Bears.

Yeah I always find relentless negativity the hallmark of a true fan.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah I always find relentless negativity the hallmark of a true fan.
Questioning the moves the team you follow is making shows you care about the team, sitting there and clapping like a Special person at every pick and UDFA signing like they're future pro bowlers just makes you a Special person. It doesn't make you a "better fan" or whatever the hell you're on about.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think you're a Special person to be optimistic or pessimistic. But if that is your only mode of thought period, then that doesn't sound healthy to me. Even an asshole like me still rotates between the two sides of the coin. Talk to me about Kyle Long and you're going to get a dissertation on why he's dead weight on the roster. Talk to me about Kyle Fuller and were talking about how he's on an all-pro trajectory. Neither are based in homerisms. They're opinions formed around facts. Just so happens not everyone agrees.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The Howard fanboys have an unhealthy obsession with Jordan Howard. The eagles gave up minimal value for Howard and then drafted a RB in the same offseason. He’s not a quality NFL rb anymore. He’s slow, lacks bust, can’t make anybody miss, little to no threat as a receiver and therefore hampers the unpredictability of the offense, and honestly outside of the rams and bills game his physicality as a runner wasn’t noticeable. Montogomery is a far better fit and therefore should be considered an upgrade.

jive

Liked Posts:
Similarities:
Lack of top end speed. They are not home run hitters, but still capable of getting big chunks of yards.
Great vision. They are good at watching their blocks develop and the movement of the defense to find running room.
Capable of being bell-cow backs. Howard is taller, but both have the build to carry 20-30 times a game.
Good contact balance. They can take a hit without going down or losing too much momentum.

Differences:
Howard is one cut and go, while Montgomery is more of a dancer.
Howard has a bit more open field speed, while Montgomery has amazing lateral speed aka 'phone booth speed'
Montgomery has a plethora of moves: spin, stiff-arm, juke, etc, while Howard would more likely break a tackle by lowering his shoulder.
Montgomery is a better receiver and more natural in running routes.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Montgomery is a better back.

I think Montgomery will be a better RB under Matt Nagy though due to the fit.

If you want to give somebody 20 carries in a zone heavy run offense, it’s Howard all day.

Scheme fit makes such a massive difference in the NFL.