These Mongtomery/Howard comparisons are terrible..

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Leveon Bell averaged 4.7 yds/carry his final season of college and only 5 yds/carry in college. He’s probably the best running back in the league. It’s unfortunate that your entire argument could crumble that easily. It’s also unfortunate that anyone is using yds/carry as they obviously don’t know anything about the team he played on.

Math must not be your strong suit. 5.0 is greater than 4.7, obviously. So for a list of NFL RBs who averaged 4.7 or less in college, Bell's name would not be on it.

It's not an "argument", its factual. And you can glean from it whatever you want. I would say that Montgomery's stats do not portend future NFL greatness, so Pace must be going on something intangible from film study. He did the same thing with Leonard Floyd, dismissing Floyd's small college sack total and instead mentioning "traits" and "waist bend" and other nonsense. Floyd is a good player and defends his position well, but he is not a good pass rusher in the NFL.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Uhm, no, game film is literally direct evidence. I'll help you. If I murder someone, video of me doing it is direct evidence. Circumstantial evidence would be someone saying other people who looked like me have been murderers.

If anyone wants to debate anything about his actual game tape, do it. Show me examples of why he won't succeed in the NFL. THAT'S direct evidence. Saying "no other good backs averaged 4.7 yards a carry there for Montgomery can't be good" is nothing but specious reasoning.

Funny stuff. Citing David Montgomery's stats..."specious reasoning". Citing subjective data of "Iowa State's Offensive Line ranked 107th while Jordan Howard's Offensive Line at Indiana (LOL) ranked 25th!"...empirical scientific methodology!

I don't think you understand what is going on (now or ever). "Game film is literally direct evidence" followed by a murder analogy. Who are you?!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Why must we determined that the GM is wrong on every pick before we seen any of these guys play in the pros ?

Have we really reached the point where we are convinced that Henderson is just a far superior back to Montgomery before we have seen either one of them run the ball in the NFL?

Yeah, imagine that. In my effort to analyze the draft, I might have preferred a different player than the one Ryan Pace selected. Is that allowed by the 'intelligentsia' on CCS?

The 'irony' is that my draft grades were panned by a CCS poster because he (incorrectly) said something like "if you didn't like the Montgomery pick, then tell me who, specifically, you would have liked better? What obvious future HOF player did Pass miss, cocksmoker?!"

Now, when someone has the audacity to say they like Henderson more than Montgomery, we have the pleasure of hearing your moronic comment "How can you say that? You haven't seen them play in the NFL yet!" Come on, man.

Go back to the Cubs forum, a tight-knit clique of idiots is more your speed. Football talk is beyond your grasp, apparently.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Why are the scouts you talk to down on David Montgomery so much?
No home run speed. Dances too much. YPC in an extraordinary weak defensive conference. Routes out of the backfield are not crisp. Won't look for or see the back side cuts, always looking to bounce out to the strong side.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No home run speed. Dances too much. YPC in an extraordinary weak defensive conference. Routes out of the backfield are not crisp. Won't look for or see the back side cuts, always looking to bounce out to the strong side.
My scouts think he smells like roses even after playing 4 quarters.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Link?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think most of the RBs with higher YPC probably didn't come from schools with awful O lines while reying on their lead back to carry an otherwise impotent offense. I like what I've seen from DM. Like his shiftiness and lateral movement and I like his determination after contact. I think our backfield has a nice mix of skill sets.

The offensive skill positions are really loaded, to be fair, outside of TE depth after Burton. The QB not getting better is the only thing that could prevent this from being a top 10 offense.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think most of the RBs with higher YPC probably didn't come from schools with awful O lines while reying on their lead back to carry an otherwise impotent offense. I like what I've seen from DM. Like his shiftiness and lateral movement and I like his determination after contact. I think our backfield has a nice mix of skill sets.

The offensive skill positions are really loaded, to be fair, outside of TE depth after Burton. The QB not getting better is the only thing that could prevent this from being a top 10 offense.

Iowa State put up points last year. Their offense was far from impotent. Brock Purdy really gave the offense life last year in the passing game and their WR Hakeem Butler had 1300 yard (22 YPC) with 9 touchdowns. Don’t buy the narrative.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think most of the RBs with higher YPC probably didn't come from schools with awful O lines while reying on their lead back to carry an otherwise impotent offense.

When Leveon Bell posted his 4.7 YPC junior season (5.0 YPC college career, tho), Michigan State's offense was much worse than Iowa State's. 110th in points and a terrible 3-5 conference record. While Bell's numbers still dwarf Montgomery's by comparison (382-1783-4.7-12), the most incredible stat is that MSU had 1942 rushing yards as a team, meaning the rest of the MSU roster contributed 149 additional yards to the "effort".

Iowa State's offense was vastly superior to MSU's 2012 offense.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
subjective data of "Iowa State's Offensive Line ranked 107th while Jordan Howard's Offensive Line at Indiana (LOL) ranked 25th!"...empirical scientific methodology!

I don't think you understand what is going on (now or ever). "Game film is literally direct evidence" followed by a murder analogy. Who are you?!

I have never cited any rankings of anyone's o-line. Nice try though. My assessment of Iowa St.'s o-line is based on studying the video.

I know you think you're clever, but you're not.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Iowa State put up points last year. Their offense was far from impotent. Brock Purdy really gave the offense life last year in the passing game and their WR Hakeem Butler had 1300 yard (22 YPC) with 9 touchdowns. Don’t buy the narrative.

83 out 130 in scoring. Montgomery scored 13 TDs. If anyone's promoting a "narrative" it's you.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it perplexing that many people are already so certain that Montgomery is a superior running back to Howard. Forget the college scouting reports, Jordan Howard has already proven himself in the actual NFL. Two of his three seasons, Howard was a top 5 and top 10 back in the league. Once upon a time, Todd Gurley had an even worse season than Howard did last year due to his failed run blocking and scheme fit. Calling Montgomery the better player is kinda crazy at this point in time.