Thoughts and Observations: Week 1 Packers

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I was fine with what Trubisky did for most of the game, but when Rodgers started leading the Packers down to TDs on every single drive the pressure started mounting on Trubisky and he lost his composure. The passing game really was called like a Fox game by Nagy outside of the first 2 drives. On drive one Trubisky hit Gabriel for 31 yards and then Burton for 15. Then on drive 2 he hit Allen Robinson for at least 20 yards on what was a great throw and catch. When the offense got away from that is when they started to sputter. When they tried to go back to it it was at the wrong time and Trubisky failed to execute.

3 Red zone field goals just can't happen. The Bears moved the ball very well on 4 drives but it only netted 16 points. Those need to be punched in and Trubisky missed an easy one to Robinson.

Jordan Howard needed to be used more. The run really opened up for him in the 2nd half but Matt Nagy just went away from him in the moments when he really should've been giving the ball to him. Interestingly enough, if you put John Fox in that situation we likely would've won the game. Howard's improved hands is also great to see.

Khalil Mack is a beast

Kyle Fuller dropped the game

Defensive meltdown of giving 3 straight TD drives can't happen

the pressure started mounting on Trubisky and he lost his composure.

that's got to stop or we made a mistake moving up to draft him.

Defensive meltdown of giving 3 straight TD drives can't happen.

This is a old narrative with us from years past ( lets lay the blame on the "D").
Truth IS the "D" BLANKED da Pack for the 1st half.:clap: The "D" gave a valiant effort IMO

Truth....the "O" DID NOT keep their ' foot on the gas' in the 2nd half.
The "O" did not keep our "D" off the field enuff in the 2nd half.

The "O" did not HELP the "D" in the 2nd half.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
As it relates to Gabriel....his stat line shows how bad and consistently bad Nagy was:

5 targets
5 catches
25 yards
Long of 31

Meaning 4 of his 5 catches went for a total of -6 yards

I'm not sure what to make of Gabriel. He had one good catch, but using him in the screen game is a mistake. He would catch the ball and Stop moving literally, stop dead. A guy with his speed should run flat out the moment he touches the ball and make the defender catch him. He does not need to be elusive, just go...

He was really disappointing last night, no other way to put it. He has Tyrek Hill speed but does not seem to want to use it.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
In all honesty, too, if Aaron Rodgers doesn't get hurt, the Packers probably put up 30 points on this defense and the game isn't particularly close. The turnovers only happened when Rodgers wasn't playing. The Kizer fumble and Kizer pick 6 probably end in a Packer's touchdown and no INT respectively with Rodgers on the field in those situations, which means there could have been a massive 14 point swing in GB's favor.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Kwiatkowski vs the Pack was my biggest fear.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky started 7-7 for 104 yards. Was 16-28, 67 yards after. Take out the 2-7 for 18 yards on the final drive. Trubisky was 14-21 (still 67% completion), but for 49 yards. That's disgusting. Only 3 of those 21 passes were thrown more than 3 yards from the LOS.

It was a Fisher Price My First Offense play calling. I have seen pee wee teams with a more sophisticated passing game.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That finał drive by Trubisky was really bad, he was very obviously and completely panicked. No where was that more evident than on the two 4th down plays. 4th and 9, Trubisky makes such an awful decision to throw a jump ball floater across the field to 5’8” Taylor Gabriel. That throw had absolutely no chance of conversion. He had Burton, Miller, and Robinson on the field. On the second 4th down, he stood in the pocket like a sitting duck for what seemed like forever without resetting his position, resulting in the sack.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Trubisky started 7-7 for 104 yards. Was 16-28, 67 yards after. Take out the 2-7 for 18 yards on the final drive. Trubisky was 14-21 (still 67% completion), but for 49 yards. That's disgusting. Only 3 of those 21 passes were thrown more than 3 yards from the LOS.

Maybe John Fox wasn't the problem? The only constant now is Trubisky.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe John Fox wasn't the problem? The only constant now is Trubisky.
Kinda reeks of Trubisky not having the trust of Nagy last night.

But also have to consider this is the same thing that happened in the playoffs to KC last year with Nagy calling the plays. He neutered Alex Smith after a big lead too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kinda reeks of Trubisky not having the trust of Nagy last night.

But also have to consider this is the same thing that happened in the playoffs to KC last year with Nagy calling the plays. He neutered Alex Smith after a big lead too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Should he have the full trust of Nagy right now?

This is a process.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Fucking Collinsworth going on about the great coverage. Cohen had 3 yards in the end zone on the LB. Throw the rock, Mitch. That one killed me. But he shouldnt' have been put in that situation on 3rd and 1 to ice the game anyway.

Exactly... That throw and the one to Robinson in the corner should have been layups.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Exactly... That throw and the one to Robinson in the corner should have been layups.

He missed 2 bunnies. One was a bad throw and the other he just didn't trust it.

He will learn.

It is a process. If he misses those consistently we may have a bust on our hands.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He missed 2 bunnies. One was a bad throw and the other he just didn't trust it.

He will learn.

It is a process. If he misses those consistently we may have a bust on our hands.

I agree and am not overreacting. Watching Red Zone yesterday, I saw a number of QBs miss bunnies. It happens. I hope it happens less frequently for Mitch.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Or better yet, throw the TD pass that was staring you in the face in a great matchup.

2:30 and Green Bay has no timeouts. A yard wins the game. Kneel it 3 times. Go home.

That’s how close they were—one friggin’ yard...

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
In all honesty, too, if Aaron Rodgers doesn't get hurt, the Packers probably put up 30 points on this defense and the game isn't particularly close. The turnovers only happened when Rodgers wasn't playing. The Kizer fumble and Kizer pick 6 probably end in a Packer's touchdown and no INT respectively with Rodgers on the field in those situations, which means there could have been a massive 14 point swing in GB's favor.

Well the score in the first half would have been closer, however I think the gameplan would have been different for the Packers in the 2nd half if it was a closer game. There may have been more run plays incorporated by the Packers, which the Bears want (they do not want to see Rodgers passing every down). The crowd was also louder because they felt they were about to witness something special. You kind of knew it was going to happen after that first drive in the 2nd half.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Trubisky should have made the throw to Cohen but the smarter play was to try and get the first down running on two plays. A first down basically would have sealed the game.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Trubisky should have made the throw to Cohen but the smarter play was to try and get the first down running on two plays. A first down basically would have sealed the game.

Two runs was the way to go and if you're committed to calling that pass play, you have to be committed to going on 4th down if you don't hit it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

We know Trubisky has wheels. I would’ve loved a play action bootleg run with a pass option a few yards downfield.

When you *gotta* have that one yard, run a high percentage play. Hell, a predictable run up the middle would’ve been higher percentage than what they did.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB development is not linear as we saw with Jimmy G and Deshaun Watson.

It is up and down and there are regressions. I would not characterize yesterday as a regression, but it was not a positive step.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Not just basically. It would’ve. Kneel it three times, clock runs out.