Thoughts on Cameron Meredith

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hard to know if this is a result of him pushing his comeback too hard.

Distinct possibility but unknowable. Seems like something that could have waited until after the season but with Dez no point waiting now.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Probably because Gabs gets separation unlike ARob.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

ARob is literally 5th worse in getting separation in the entire NFL this year at 2 yards. Gabriel is tied for 6th at 3.8. That is key for getting YAC which this offense relies on because the more space you have when you catch the ball, the more yards you can rack up. Hence why again, ARob is really not a good fit. Burton and Miller also much better as well. Burton at 3.4 and Miller at 2.7.

Can't blame the injury either as if you check 2016, Robinson's separation was 1.9 so he simply is not built to get separation. He may work well in a lot of other systems but not for this offense IMO.

The thing is, when you look at the players around Robinson, there are lots of good ones: Josh Gordon and AJ Green are on either side of him, and Mike Evans, TY Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, Marvin Jones, Alshon Jeffrey, and Brandin Cooks are all within .4 yards. That's a lot of really good WRs, three definitely top ten and a few more who are probably top 25.

I think there are two things: first, these guys always draw #1 corners and probably are doubled more than average. So often their value is opening other players who get one on one coverage with lesser players. Second, AR has never been a separation guy; he's a big guy who can out muscle people and get the ball in traffic. Mitch doesn't seem as comfortable with this type of receiver yet.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Injuries destroyed what would have been a solid career. Really a shame to see an undrafted guy put in the work to become a bona fide NFL player then right when he gets his chance two straight season-ending knee surgeries. Anyone who denies the trajectory he was on before 2017 is lying to themselves, he looked like a #2 WR.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

That has to be fake news. The CCS Medical Board gave him a clean bill of health after performing exhaustive analysis of a 5 second twitter video.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The news on Cam Meredith is the reason that there was no real chance they could rely on him to be in the top 3-4 of the WR core. IR and another knee injury was simply what they could not rely on.

I feel bad for Meredith, but it seems the Bears medical evaluations were dead on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I wonder if this is related to what our doctors said? Cam opted to have his knee done elsewhere and the procedure may have been less invasive/comprehensive. I hope this next scope puts him where he should be. Didn't seem like he was ever right after the last one.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remy you have some interesting points about Allen Robinson. If I'm honest, I too felt that aside from that one year of crazy numbers, he seemed to me like a very good technician but wasn't particularly explosive. Interestingly, taking a look at the 2016 separation stats, former Bears Eddie Royal and Martellus Bennett rank pretty high on that list. Then further down the line you have someone like Larry Fitzgerald, in the upper-echelon of wide-receivers who isn't known (nor never has been known) for horizontal separation and yet was always dangerous.

Even in this season's high-flying KC offense, they don't have any receivers in the top-10 on the separation list (though Tyreek Hill has been there in the past). Separation as a receiver is certainly important, but other things are as well, things like savvy, reliability, consistency, predictability, and football IQ. Brandon Marshall is one that I can think of that possessed these talents in his prime (but unfortunately dropped too many passes and then became a team detriment once he felt like the team wasn't competing up to their potential).

I've maintained all along that Allen Robinson was still injured and wouldn't reach his full potential until next year, and I still feel that way. This offense will break-out next year, and I believe Allen Robinson will be one of the top receivers in the league.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Weird. It almost sounds like he was doing too much too soon? Maybe that route running he was doing before AR was a bad idea. Crazy to see considering how far ahead of schedule cam was.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think the question you have to ask is Meredith better than Wims or White. At this point I would say yes but Wims has a much higher upside.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sure but with that said Gabriel, Cohen, and Burton still look better. Miller looks like he will surpass ARob sooner rather than later.

ARob simply isnt a good fit for the offense. He doesnt create the mismatches that the others do as KC offense is predicated on speed and YAC guys. ARob is at this stage a slow moving target.

ARob was a good gamble at the time as we couldnt be sure what we had in everyone else. But now that we have seen, I would probably try and trade him in the offseason if I could find someone to eat his salary unless he has a major return to form.

Kinda like how A.Jeffries isn't working out for the Eagles and Doug Peterson who as we know is also from the A.Reid tree and running a very similar offense to what he ran as the Chiefs OC.................wait a minute...................

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
New Orleans Saints wide receiver Cameron Meredith is still dealing with the effects of the knee injury he suffered last August while playing for the Chicago Bears.

Coach Sean Payton said Meredith has experienced swelling in his left knee throughout this season, and the team is placing him on injured reserve because Meredith is set to undergo arthroscopic surgery within the next few days to correct the issue.

Payton indicated that Meredith won’t have enough time to recover to return from injured reserve this year. Teams can bring back two players from IR each season.

https://www.nola.com/saints/2018/11...undergoing-scope-to-combat-knee-swelling.html

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears doctors ftw

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bears doctors ftw

while I don't disagree that our medical staff has cratered since the departure of Rust Jones, not entirely sure that Bears doctors perform surgery

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thing is, when you look at the players around Robinson, there are lots of good ones: Josh Gordon and AJ Green are on either side of him, and Mike Evans, TY Hilton, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, Marvin Jones, Alshon Jeffrey, and Brandin Cooks are all within .4 yards. That's a lot of really good WRs, three definitely top ten and a few more who are probably top 25.

I think there are two things: first, these guys always draw #1 corners and probably are doubled more than average. So often their value is opening other players who get one on one coverage with lesser players. Second, AR has never been a separation guy; he's a big guy who can out muscle people and get the ball in traffic. Mitch doesn't seem as comfortable with this type of receiver yet.

Hence why I said Arob may fit in other offenses but not this one. The fact is this offense is predicated on hitting guys in stride and YAC. Having a big plodding WR simply clogs things up. Also, there is little evidence that ARob was drawing coverage away from others as Gabriel has actually performed better without him. Miller obviously has gotten more opportunities as well.

Those other guys actually produce enough to justify throwing to them in tight spots. ARob doesn't and hasn't since 2015. Again, it is not like he was a true No 1 in 2016. He was not so entirely possibly we simply picked up a guy who was not as good as his 2015 season suggested.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hence why I said Arob may fit in other offenses but not this one. The fact is this offense is predicated on hitting guys in stride and YAC. Having a big plodding WR simply clogs things up. Also, there is little evidence that ARob was drawing coverage away from others as Gabriel has actually performed better without him. Miller obviously has gotten more opportunities as well.

Those other guys actually produce enough to justify throwing to them in tight spots. ARob doesn't and hasn't since 2015. Again, it is not like he was a true No 1 in 2016. He was not so entirely possibly we simply picked up a guy who was not as good as his 2015 season suggested.

all offenses would love to hit players and stride and get YAC, but I don't know of any team that would mind a guy who can get the 50/50 ball. He has a spot on the team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy you have some interesting points about Allen Robinson. If I'm honest, I too felt that aside from that one year of crazy numbers, he seemed to me like a very good technician but wasn't particularly explosive. Interestingly, taking a look at the 2016 separation stats, former Bears Eddie Royal and Martellus Bennett rank pretty high on that list. Then further down the line you have someone like Larry Fitzgerald, in the upper-echelon of wide-receivers who isn't known (nor never has been known) for horizontal separation and yet was always dangerous.

Even in this season's high-flying KC offense, they don't have any receivers in the top-10 on the separation list (though Tyreek Hill has been there in the past). Separation as a receiver is certainly important, but other things are as well, things like savvy, reliability, consistency, predictability, and football IQ. Brandon Marshall is one that I can think of that possessed these talents in his prime (but unfortunately dropped too many passes and then became a team detriment once he felt like the team wasn't competing up to their potential).

I've maintained all along that Allen Robinson was still injured and wouldn't reach his full potential until next year, and I still feel that way. This offense will break-out next year, and I believe Allen Robinson will be one of the top receivers in the league.

There is always a chance that he turns it around which again is why I had no problem with the move when it was made. I am just commenting based on the info I have to date and to date he has been a disappointment and doesn't look like a good fit. Hopefully he can rebuild his value somewhat but I personally am fine with Miller, Cohen, Gabs, Burton, Shaheen and would look to trade ARob and dump White. In this offense, you only need one big WR to be a Red Zone or third down option and I think that is Wims. You can replace ARob and White with more speed guys and use the money on other needs but time will tell whether he turns it around or not.

Kinda like how A.Jeffries isn't working out for the Eagles and Doug Peterson who as we know is also from the A.Reid tree and running a very similar offense to what he ran as the Chiefs OC.................wait a minute...................

The decision on AJ was prior to Nagy coming on board so if you are suggesting he would not be a fit for this Bears offense, I would agree. Not sure what that has to do with anything though as Pace wouldn't have known that at the time.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought the Bears doctors ftw comment was related to them having done a good job communicating to Pace that Cam was likely not going to be good to go this season. FWIW AR hasn't exactly had a clean bill of health either but at least he isn't on IR.