dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
To me at least its been noticeable that the offense doesn't work the same without AR on the field commanding attention from defenses. Its not to say that the offense relies on him but we definitely move the ball better with him playing.

Many don't understand that having a guy like AR12 on the field also takes a bunch of the attention off of everyone else that's running routes and only think it's about the stats that he puts up.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hyperbole. Just like your example.

My analogy was to illustrate a point ie bad decisions sometimes work out. There was really no point to your claiming Curry shoots half court shots as even if true, it still doesn't change the fact a half court shot with 15 seconds left is a bad decision.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
My analogy was to illustrate a point ie bad decisions sometimes work out. There was really no point to your claiming Curry shoots half court shots as even if true, it still doesn't change the fact a half court shot with 15 seconds left is a bad decision.

It is subjective as to whether or not it is a bad decision to risk losing a WR with a limited role coming off injury over 1M dollars.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A bit misleading. He tendered him and thus obviously had an interest in keeping him. He obviously was prepared to keep Meredith at 1.9 million just not 2.9 million which is what people disagreed with as it resulted in the Saints offering him a deal that the Bears did no match. So it is not like Pace straight up passed on Meredith. He tendered him at the wrong amount according to some including myself.

From a hindsight perspective and not knowing what Meredith does next year, it ended up being the better decision but this would be like a guy shooting a half court three with 15 seconds left on the shot clock and it being declared a good decision because he made it. Things sometimes work out even when the thought process was faulty.

This is an important distinction to make because shortly Pace will have a similar decision on Callahan and if his desire is to keep him then he needs to tender him at the right amount which is mostly likely at a minimum the 2.9 million amount and not play the game he did with Meredith.

So, in other words, no matter what Pace does, and no matter how Meredith performs (or doesn't), and no matter how the players Pace acquired perform, and no matter how well the current offense performs.....fans who wanted to retain an injured Meredith were not wrong and Pace was not right.

Got it.

Do you realize how silly it is when fans insist they are correct no matter what?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, in other words, no matter what Pace does, and no matter how Meredith performs (or doesn't), and no matter how the players Pace acquired perform, and no matter how well the current offense performs.....fans who wanted to retain an injured Meredith were not wrong and Pace was not right.

Got it.

Umm no. At the time, the decision to tender Meredith at 1.9 million was wrong IMO. At the time, the decision to sign Robinson was right.

Based on results at this point in time, the decision to not match the Saints offer for Meredith was correct and the decision to give Robinson 25 million guaranteed was incorrect.

So depends on whether you want to use hindsight or not. I am fine either way so long as we apply it to both players the same way. You can't use hindsight on Meredith but then claim I can't use hindsight on ARob.

It is subjective as to whether or not it is a bad decision to risk losing a WR with a limited role coming off injury over 1M dollars.

Well of course it is as I am only providing my subjective opinion and not claiming absolute truth.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is how I think it went,

-The Bears were concerned with Meredith's knee, but pre free agency they had no other options, so they took out a 1.9 million dollar insurance policy.

-In free agency they were able to land 3 pass catching weapons, and they no longer needed Meredith and probably would rescind the RFA tag if they could.

-New Orleans came along and took them off the hook.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Umm no. At the time, the decision to tender Meredith at 1.9 million was wrong IMO. At the time, the decision to sign Robinson was right.

Based on results at this point in time, the decision to not match the Saints offer for Meredith was correct and the decision to give Robinson 25 million guaranteed was incorrect.

So depends on whether you want to use hindsight or not. I am fine either way so long as we apply it to both players the same way. You can't use hindsight on Meredith but then claim I can't use hindsight on ARob.

Well of course it is as I am only providing my subjective opinion and not claiming absolute truth.

The logical explanation to me is that Pace only liked Meredith a tad. Enough to get him for the cheapest amount possible of 1.9M. Anything more was not worth the risk. Even 2.9M. Looks like he was right.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think the Meredith decision was correct, the knee is clearly still a mess.

I think the decision on Robinson is unknown. They signed him for 3 years so his 25 million dollar value really needs to be assessed over the duration of the contract. To this point he has not been worth the 7 million he has banked, but I think based on how ACLs recover that we were never expecting him to be incredible to start the contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The logical explanation to me is that Pace only liked Meredith a tad. Enough to get him for the cheapest amount possible of 1.9M. Anything more was not worth the risk. Even 2.9M. Looks like he was right.

I think the Meredith decision was correct, the knee is clearly still a mess.

I think the decision on Robinson is unknown. They signed him for 3 years so his 25 million dollar value really needs to be assessed over the duration of the contract. To this point he has not been worth the 7 million he has banked, but I think based on how ACLs recover that we were never expecting him to be incredible to start the contract.

This is where the inconsistency comes in. The Meredith statement is clearly a hindsight argument. The Robinson statement is clearly saying let's wait and see. However, Meredith could come back next year and play well just as Robinson can play well the rest of the year or next season so again the issue here is wanting to use hindsight to say Pace was right on Meredith right now while then ignoring hindsight when applied to Robinson and saying let's wait and see.

So which is it? Are we using hindsight or not? If we are then I think he was right on Meredith and wrong on Arob (both subject to change). If we aren't then I think he was wrong on Meredith but right on ARob. Or if you want to see how their contracts play out then both are unknown right now as both still have years left on their contract where they can still add value. Just pick one way to measure them and be consistent. That is the point.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
You still think Merideth has a legitimate chance at coming back and playing next year? I see the Saints book on him being effectively closed.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This is where the inconsistency comes in. The Meredith statement is clearly a hindsight argument. The Robinson statement is clearly saying let's wait and see. However, Meredith could come back next year and play well just as Robinson can play well the rest of the year or next season so again the issue here is wanting to use hindsight to say Pace was right on Meredith right now while then ignoring hindsight when applied to Robinson and saying let's wait and see.

So which is it. Are we using hindsight or not? If we are then I think he was right on Meredith and wrong on Arob (both subject to change). If we aren't then I think he was wrong on Meredith but right on ARob. Or if you want to see how their contracts play out then both are unknown right now as both still have years left on their contract where they can still add value. Just pick one way to measure them and be consistent. That is the point.

Because Robinson has a 3 year deal based on 1 star level year. So he has the luxury of having us wait another year. If Meredith was on the Bears right now at 1.9 or even 2.9, this would be it for him. There would be no wait and see next year.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I don’t think we’ll see the best of Robinson till next year. He was out a long time (only just returning for this year) and you don’t get everything back straight away after that.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
You still think Merideth has a legitimate chance at coming back and playing next year? I see the Saints book on him being effectively closed.

He doesn't care. He just wants to argue about something.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know why people even bother with Remy. All he is doing is picking a topic and a side and being vocal for argument's sake.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Maybe it is but can't say that for sure now. Saints signed him to 2 years.

Because Robinson has a 3 year deal based on 1 star level year. So he has the luxury of having us wait another year. If Meredith was on the Bears right now at 1.9 or even 2.9, this would be it for him. There would be no wait and see next year.

Saints signed him to two year deal not 1.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He doesn't care. He just wants to argue about something.

He clearly was playing on the knee so not like he re-injured his ACL. It is arthroscopic knee surgery. A lot of people just wait until offseason to get it like I believe Bortles did last year. Just no point in waiting for the Saints now that they signed Dez.

I don't know why people even bother with Remy. All he is doing is picking a topic and a side and being vocal for argument's sake.

Isn't that what most people on the internet do? I am just more persistent about it than others but let's not kid ourselves. We started a month apart and you have almost 20k posts as well. You probably just more of a quitter than I am but that's a pretty good rate of posts especially since you don't post as much as I do in B&I so B&I probably explains most of that gap.

Now if Sugar or Play want to make that argument then that would have some merit as they don't post near as much as you and I.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think the perfect time to assess the success of a long term contract is during the 1st half of the 1st year of the contract.

Once again we see our guy Mr. Pace had #fleect himself once again.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the perfect time to assess the success of a long term contract is during the 1st half of the 1st year of the contract.

Once again we see our guy Mr. Pace had #fleect himself once again.

Is 3 years that much longer than 2 years? ARob has a 3 year deal and Meredith has a 2 year deal.

baredown

Liked Posts:
This is an important distinction to make because shortly Pace will have a similar decision on Callahan and if his desire is to keep him then he needs to tender him at the right amount which is mostly likely at a minimum the 2.9 million amount and not play the game he did with Meredith.

Not that I like inserting myself into this deja vu-like discussion, but I do feel obligated to point out that Pace already made that exact same decision on Callahan last year. Pace offered him the same low-end tender ($1.9M for one year) that he offered Meredith (Bellamy as well). Callahan will be a UFA at the end of this year. Sorry, no more RFA tenders for him. I suppose people can now criticize Pace for not locking Callahan on a multi-year deal last year, before he really broke out. Hindsight's pretty easy. But these are the types of tough decisions NFL GMs have to routinely make, without the benefit of hindsight...

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
He clearly was playing on the knee so not like he re-injured his ACL. It is arthroscopic knee surgery. A lot of people just wait until offseason to get it like I believe Bortles did last year. Just no point in waiting for the Saints now that they signed Dez.

Watching you talk about medical stuff again .... lmao. You do know that ACL surgery is done arthroscopically, right? Saying it’s ‘just arthroscopic’ knee surgery means nothing, particularly considering we have no clue what’s being done. Have you not read the recent news on the Vikings player suing his doctor for the permanent damage that was done from an arthroscopic surgery, and how he can’t play football anymore? It was former first round pick Sharrif Floyd.

But hey, he’s definitely ahead of schedule because those saints docs said so!!

giphy.gif