Thoughts on Cameron Meredith

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not that I like inserting myself into this deja vu-like discussion, but I do feel obligated to point out that Pace already made that exact same decision on Callahan last year. Pace offered him the same low-end tender ($1.9M for one year) that he offered Meredith (Bellamy as well). Callahan will be a UFA at the end of this year. Sorry, no more RFA tenders for him. I suppose people can now criticize Pace for not locking Callahan on a multi-year deal last year, before he really broke out. Hindsight's pretty easy. But these are the types of tough decisions NFL GMs have to routinely make, without the benefit of hindsight...

Yes you are correct on Callahan, he is an UFA. Don't know why I thought he was still an RFA. And no, I don't fault Pace for not locking him up long term before this season.

Yeah it’s actually 50% longer

With almost 400% more guaranteed money and the out is pretty much 2020 so for all intents and purposes a 2 year deal. Basically a 2 year 28 million dollar deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/allen-robinson-14471/

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Maybe it is but can't say that for sure now. Saints signed him to 2 years.

Saints signed him to two year deal not 1.

Then they can judge him after next year. We obviously wouldn’t have to if the Saints didn’t poach him from us.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watching you talk about medical stuff again .... lmao. You do know that ACL surgery is done arthroscopically, right? Saying it’s ‘just arthroscopic’ knee surgery means nothing, particularly considering we have no clue what’s being done. Have you not read the recent news on the Vikings player suing his doctor for the permanent damage that was done from an arthroscopic surgery, and how he can’t play football anymore? It was former first round pick Sharrif Floyd.

But hey, he’s definitely ahead of schedule because those saints docs said so!!

giphy.gif

What point do you think you are making? If this were ACL surgery they would call it ACL surgery. They called it arthroscopic surgery because it isn't ACL surgery. It is being doing because of swelling.

Floyd's case is allegedly an issue of malpractice hence why he is suing. What does that have to do with the thousands and thousands of arthroscopic procedures for which no medical malpractice occurs?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then they can judge him after next year. We obviously wouldn’t have to if the Saints didn’t poach him from us.

Yes and I can judge both of them based on how they perform to date and revise that judgment as more games are played.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
What point do you think you are making? If this were ACL surgery they would call it ACL surgery. They called it arthroscopic surgery because it isn't ACL surgery. It is being doing because of swelling.

Floyd's case is allegedly an issue of malpractice hence why he is suing. What does that have to do with the thousands and thousands of arthroscopic procedures for which no medical malpractice occurs?

My point is that you were dead wrong with buying into Meredith being ahead of schedule, and it is to the point that the decisions he has made with his recovery from knee surgery are leading to a 2nd knee surgery.

Why does he need to get a scope done? Because of his ACL injury and his rehab.

To say that you ‘know his ACL is fine’ because ‘he was playing on it’ is actually nonsense. People walk around all the time with completely torn ACL’s. It’s 100% asinine to assume this surgery has nothing to do with his ACL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is how I think it went,

-The Bears were concerned with Meredith's knee, but pre free agency they had no other options, so they took out a 1.9 million dollar insurance policy.

-In free agency they were able to land 3 pass catching weapons, and they no longer needed Meredith and probably would rescind the RFA tag if they could.

-New Orleans came along and took them off the hook.

I don't think it was that extreme but Pace tendered him at the amount they thought would be acceptable to put him on the shelf if needed and didn't expect him to pass other physicals, at least to where he'd get that sort of offer. from the looks of things, Pace got it right then and now. It looked like the ding issue was an excuse and if so, a 2nd round tender would have made sense. The current state of affairs exonerates the Bears decision, regardless of what Cam does next year. Pace clearly said that he didn't tender more because he felt that Cam's knee would not hold up to play this year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My point is that you were dead wrong with buying into Meredith being ahead of schedule, and it is to the point that the decisions he has made with his recovery from knee surgery are leading to a 2nd knee surgery.

To say that you ‘know his ACL is fine’ because ‘he was playing on it’ is actually nonsense. People walk around all the time with completely torn ACL’s. It’s 100% asinine to assume this surgery has nothing to do with his ACL.
Could be the acl is fine and the mcl is a little loose and didn't come back as Cam had hoped. That can put more strain on the other ligaments or perhaps his meniscus had a tear that's gotten worse because something wasn't completely sorted. We really have no idea but Cam has broken down without an apparent event taking him out so it's very likely related to the earlier injury in some way. To his credit, he's tried to play through it and earn his money but nature seems to have taken its course.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
This is where the inconsistency comes in. The Meredith statement is clearly a hindsight argument. The Robinson statement is clearly saying let's wait and see. However, Meredith could come back next year and play well just as Robinson can play well the rest of the year or next season so again the issue here is wanting to use hindsight to say Pace was right on Meredith right now while then ignoring hindsight when applied to Robinson and saying let's wait and see.

So which is it? Are we using hindsight or not? If we are then I think he was right on Meredith and wrong on Arob (both subject to change). If we aren't then I think he was wrong on Meredith but right on ARob. Or if you want to see how their contracts play out then both are unknown right now as both still have years left on their contract where they can still add value. Just pick one way to measure them and be consistent. That is the point.

That's because Meredith is done with the Bears so you can judge it accordingly. Robinson is 1/6th of the way through his contract. You can't measure them accordingly because one is ongoing.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
FYI, in less than 5 years, there will be a brace on the market that will negate many of the mcl, acl tears for most players.

I wore won for giggles in Germany last year and played 20 minutes of soccer and I couldn’t tell I was wearing it and it will be archaic technology in 5 years.

FYI- there are many grades of ACL tears and sprains if you really want to get nit picky.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He clearly was playing on the knee so not like he re-injured his ACL. It is arthroscopic knee surgery. A lot of people just wait until offseason to get it like I believe Bortles did last year. Just no point in waiting for the Saints now that they signed Dez.

Isn't that what most people on the internet do? I am just more persistent about it than others but let's not kid ourselves. We started a month apart and you have almost 20k posts as well. You probably just more of a quitter than I am but that's a pretty good rate of posts especially since you don't post as much as I do in B&I so B&I probably explains most of that gap.

Now if Sugar or Play want to make that argument then that would have some merit as they don't post near as much as you and I.
Cart and horse. Signed Dez because Meredith wasn't able to produce due to his knee not being right and needing surgery. Cam does not need surgery because they signed Dez.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Remy you have some interesting points about Allen Robinson. If I'm honest, I too felt that aside from that one year of crazy numbers, he seemed to me like a very good technician but wasn't particularly explosive. Interestingly, taking a look at the 2016 separation stats, former Bears Eddie Royal and Martellus Bennett rank pretty high on that list. Then further down the line you have someone like Larry Fitzgerald, in the upper-echelon of wide-receivers who isn't known (nor never has been known) for horizontal separation and yet was always dangerous.

Yeah, "Separation stats" are kind of bogus without context. Guys with a large "catch radius" who can hang on to the ball in traffic are usually more effective, TBH. I always thought it was funny that the Bears organization would try to surround Cutler with 'separation stat' WRs...Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, Eddie Royal...yet Cutler was the QB who could never find the open man and would force the ball into coverage. Cutler actually needed the "catch radius" guy like a Devin Aromoshodu, because a WR gaining separation had no effect on Cutler.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No I am saying if it was specifically about the ACL, they would say it. They didn't. It is likely a complication from the original injury but that complication may not specifically be from the ACL being reinjured. He may or may not get the surgery per Rapppaport which there wouldn't be such an option if he had clearly reinjured his ACL. Payton said it was something he was pushing through but just kept swelling. So it is to scope and clean up if necessary but something that if it were say the playoffs and they didn't have Dez available, they likely let him continue to push thru.

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/quotes-from-sean-payton-s-conference-call-november-8-2018

That's because Meredith is done with the Bears so you can judge it accordingly. Robinson is 1/6th of the way through his contract. You can't measure them accordingly because one is ongoing.

I can measure his performance to date and it has been lacking. I can revise that assessment as more date comes in. Fairly easy.

If ARob was on Pace for 1,400 yards yall would happily assess his performance to date. Yall only holding off because he has been a disappointment.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cart and horse. Signed Dez because Meredith wasn't able to produce due to his knee not being right and needing surgery. Cam does not need surgery because they signed Dez.

My statement wasn't intended to lay out the chronology. I was saying he was playing thru it so unlikely to be a re-tear of the ACL as they said it was swelling. They obviously went out and got Dez as a result of the injury. See link above of Payton's comments. I don't know if it was something that would force him to go on IR if Dez were not available or whether he could have continued fighting thru it if Dez was not available.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I can measure his performance to date and it has been lacking. I can revise that assessment as more date comes in. Fairly easy.

If ARob was on Pace for 1,400 yards yall would happily assess his performance to date. Yall only holding off because he has been a disappointment.

[video=youtube;5mvLg6MQ39I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvLg6MQ39I[/video]

Not sure what to I'm supposed to make of this. I don't really understand the 'connection' between Meredith and Robinson, I don't know what the 'discussion' is about Pace's offer to Meredith, etc.

Robinson's statistics aren't great. The Bears offense has performed well when Robinson is on the field. Would it be better if Trubisky was forcing the ball to Robinson to make him a 1400-yard WR at the expense of the offense? I think Robinson has been a very good signing for the Bears/Pace.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FYI, in less than 5 years, there will be a brace on the market that will negate many of the mcl, acl tears for most players.

I wore won for giggles in Germany last year and played 20 minutes of soccer and I couldn’t tell I was wearing it and it will be archaic technology in 5 years.

FYI- there are many grades of ACL tears and sprains if you really want to get nit picky.
Wow that's kinda cool.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

That what Rodgers is wearing?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;5mvLg6MQ39I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mvLg6MQ39I[/video]

Not sure what to I'm supposed to make of this. I don't really understand the 'connection' between Meredith and Robinson, I don't know what the 'discussion' is about Pace's offer to Meredith, etc.

Robinson's statistics aren't great. The Bears offense has performed well when Robinson is on the field. Would it be better if Trubisky was forcing the ball to Robinson to make him a 1400-yard WR at the expense of the offense? I think Robinson has been a very good signing for the Bears/Pace.

I made a comment on page 1 about Robinson being disappointing and the vortex was initiated.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I made a comment on page 1 about Robinson being disappointing and the vortex was initiated.

Your page 1 comment basically lists Robinson's stats against Meredith's stats. I'm still not understanding your point, if any.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your page 1 comment basically lists Robinson's stats against Meredith's stats. I'm still not understanding your point, if any.

I said could be worse, could have paid Allen Robinson. Thought my point was clear that I thought Allen Robinson was disappointing thus far. Albeit it was a bit tongue in cheek as well. But he is 10th in cap hit and 7th in total cash this year.