Trade Deadline:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
PCA and Morel have zero trade value. They have more value to the Cubs where you hope they can flip the light switch. Morel is running out of time but PCA still has a long leash.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
? I said Trauchman should take over CF until Cody is healthy again. I never said give the keys to the city.

#2. If you deem that Morel is the higher valued player than PCA then you do you.

All I ever said is if that would happen that I would not be mad. I am not the only one who has this view point about PCA. Many on pod who do the Cubs are done with PCA and his sub .200 BA with no growth.

Also this is not the first time that Paredes has been brought up.

Would it happen? Who knows what Jed is thinking to be honest? All I said is I would not be mad.

Parades is on the block and the Rays did part with a core player. Jed did say 2025 and beyond. And Paredes has control and has no growing pains to deal with.

Cody is still under control and given the keys to CF why not stick. As a CF with a good hit tool and 20 HR power his contract is more palettable. PCA has been a distraction and a downgrade in CF to Cody. Last year and this year

Could PCA improve? Sure. Maybe Craig and his coaches are working on him as we speak. What they did for Amaya took a week to do and why wouldn't it?

All I can say is keep in mind 2025 is the goal year and Jed has many ways to approach it

For me I would rather deal with finished products with control vs watching .196 BA issues any day of the week

You're the GM teams want to trade with. You'd trade away guys who have been in MLB for a couple months because they haven't broken out yet.
Sorry did not read your thoughts. I have not been on this site much of late

I do feel that this team is close and should not be torn down. But Jed has to make some hard choices right now.

I feel buying Paredes makes sense and PCA and Morel would be a solid ask on him.

That does 2 things. Makes this year more interesting as Cody has a home in CF and Tauchman goes back to his rotation of DH and day off guy. 3B stabilizes and is a major upgrade.

Then that leaks into next year. At that point Caissie and Ballestroes add to the mix and Jed can do some signings to fill some voids

Now what do I feel Jed will do?

Trade Neris and Leiter. Safe moves and he has Biggie and Roberts in Iowa to back fill

Jed has been anything but aggressive as a leader. All of his moves are tame in general and I don't see anything risky going on.
I agree that I don’t think it should be torn down.

I strongly disagree with getting rid of PCA.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
PCA and Morel have zero trade value. They have more value to the Cubs where you hope they can flip the light switch. Morel is running out of time but PCA still has a long leash.
I am sorry but that’s ridiculous. Zero trade value?

PCA has speed and is terrific defensively. That alone suggests a high floor. He has played regularly for less than half a season. He has a lot of talent and teams would take him in a heartbeat. “Zero trade value “ ? C’mon man!

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
In the context of the trade dealine, yes. Teams aren’t buying future potential risk unless they are selling. The Cubs aren’t buyers so there are no contenders looking to swap unknowns for unknowns. That’s why I said PCA’s value is staying with the Cubs and continuing his development.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In the context of the trade dealine, yes. Teams aren’t buying future potential risk unless they are selling. The Cubs aren’t buyers so there are no contenders looking to swap unknowns for unknowns. That’s why I said PCA’s value is staying with the Cubs and continuing his development.
Agree with that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jed has reacquired both players he traded to Detroit in 2017. We may have to call him Stan Bowman.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman reporting Cubs are one of teams in on Blake Snell.

😳

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Paredes is dead pull with an exit velocity in the 4th percentile. Yikes.

He has 16 HR. Wrigley would take away 5 of those.

Hmmm

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Parades can’t be that good if no one could beat the Cubs offer.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate to see Bigge go. Not sure dealing him was wise.

Paredes is a career .233 guy so it's funny to see Hoyer puffed up about "locking up a long term bat" but at least they will finally stabilize 3B after, literally, years.

I wish Morel well but I've seen enough to doubt he's still going to develop into a star.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I mentioned Paredes exit velocity, which is ironic since I usually don't get too interested in that, but I don't mean to indicate I think it's a bad move,

It is a worthwhile move to send Morel to a team that has been wanting him, and to get a guy better offensively (at this point) and defensively.

Morel may have a higher offensive ceiling, but if you can't play him anywhere that becomes less of an advantage. And he's not done well at all offensively this year. He hits HRs because he always seeks HRs even when the situation doesn't call for it. It's time for a change, for him and the team.

Paredes may be a 20 HR guy annually and if he can play good 3rd base, it's a step in the right direction. He has a career OPS+ of 118 and it is better than that this year. He's young and under control, so it's worth taking the chance. It's not a terribly costly move, and he has a little versatility in that he can also play 1st.

Morel brought enthusiasm, and his power will always give him potential to become a better player. I was fine early in the season with the decision to give him a long leash at 3rd to see what he could do, but clearly that did not work out.

I don't think anyone is sorry to see him move on.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think the Paredes trade is fine. I don't like it as much as the Pearson trade but here's the thing... there's not a lot of good 3B in baseball right now. Like... no one wanted to pay Matt Chapman last offseason and he's 5th in baseball for 3B fWAR. Paredes is 6th only .1 back. Above those two are Devers at #1 +.7 fWAR on Chapman and +.8 on Paredes, #2 is Bohm who's +.2/.3 respectively. #3 is Josh Smith who's also +.2/.3. #4 is Jose Ramirez who's +.1/.2.

You're not getting Devers. You're not getting Bohm. You're not getting Josh Smith. Jose Ramirez is almost 32 and Cleveland isn't trading him this year. I know a number of people wanted Chapman in the offseason. This is basically that move only instead of a 4 year $83 mil deal for a 31 year old you're getting 3.5 years of a super-two arb player at age 25. I don't have exact figures but it's probably closer to $40 mil. I'm also not as worried about the pull power thing. He had a .186 ISO with detroit in AAA prior to being traded to them and a .221 ISO for TB's AAA team prior to being called up. I wouldn't say he's your typical prototypical 3B but as I said there's not a lot of good 3B in baseball right now.

Morel i'm fine with giving up because they clearly view Paredes as a better player at the same position. Ty Johnson has interesting numbers in A/A+ but he's also nearly 23. He looks to me like maybe he can be a rotation guy in the future but if he makes it there it seems more like an Assad type than a true impact starter. He only throws 92 and the cubs according to fangraphs has 5 starters prospects ahead of him.

If they regret anything in this deal it might be Bigge because statistically he looks like he could be a pretty good reliever but if that's the price to pay to get a fairly substantial upgrade at 3B i'm fine with it. You're upgrading from Morel's current -0.1 fWAR to 2.9 for Paredes and you didn't touch anything even remotely in your top 15 prospects. Granted Morel has untapped upside if he can reach it but it's also possible he ends up a DH only player.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“A contender in win now mode is unlikely to trade for PCA” is a million miles from “PCA has no trade value”.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, @Diehardfan, Taillon was not skipped.

It appears Taillon is not being traded. Or somebody is doing something really stupid.

Like you, I would have liked to see them trade him at a high point.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, @Diehardfan, Taillon was not skipped.

It appears Taillon is not being traded. Or somebody is doing something really stupid.

Like you, I would have liked to see them trade him at a high point.
Does it surprise you? It's predictably Hoyer. They'll bring him back in 25....watch him fuck up his back again and that will be that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mentioned Paredes exit velocity, which is ironic since I usually don't get too interested in that, but I don't mean to indicate I think it's a bad move,

It is a worthwhile move to send Morel to a team that has been wanting him, and to get a guy better offensively (at this point) and defensively.

Morel may have a higher offensive ceiling, but if you can't play him anywhere that becomes less of an advantage. And he's not done well at all offensively this year. He hits HRs because he always seeks HRs even when the situation doesn't call for it. It's time for a change, for him and the team.

Paredes may be a 20 HR guy annually and if he can play good 3rd base, it's a step in the right direction. He has a career OPS+ of 118 and it is better than that this year. He's young and under control, so it's worth taking the chance. It's not a terribly costly move, and he has a little versatility in that he can also play 1st.

Morel brought enthusiasm, and his power will always give him potential to become a better player. I was fine early in the season with the decision to give him a long leash at 3rd to see what he could do, but clearly that did not work out.

I don't think anyone is sorry to see him move on.

Most were confused by Jed. I felt it was along the lines that he said. Making deals that have 2025 in mind.

That said the biggest move that he could make is trading Neris. He has a clause that pushes his opt to a player opt. That is a strong reason to deal out.

Smyly has a 2.5 buy out. It is a lesser issue. But I'm sure that Jed will end up as a buyer in Dec so dealing out pay offs makes sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would lean towards no deals right now. He will have to demote Mastro to bring in Paredes. He did open 2 40 man roster spots in that deal so Person and Paredes should slot in with no issues.

I don't feel it is enough to compete but getting a play off slot is with in reason as is. We can assume that Bellinger will DH for the time being and Paredes will man 3B.

Hoerner 2B
Busch 1B
Paredes 3B
Bellinger DH
Suzuki RF
Happ LF
Swanson SS
PCA CF
Amaya C

This should add 1-2 runs per game on avg. Cubs are pretty solid when scoring 4+ per game so it is not outside of possibility that they can get into a run.