Trade Marmol?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Heard this on the drive home today while listening to B and B. The caller had a good point. Marmol isn't going to close a World Series for you, his contract is much easier to move and you have to think a top of the line closer, or close to it, would net a nice batch of prospects.

I had never thought about it before but it's not a bad idea IMO.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Heard this on the drive home today while listening to B and B. The caller had a good point. Marmol isn't going to close a World Series for you, his contract is much easier to move and you have to think a top of the line closer, or close to it, would net a nice batch of prospects.

I had never thought about it before but it's not a bad idea IMO.

I often wonder what the Cubs would look like without Marmol. Though I love Marmol, but his elbow/arm is going to give sometime.

It makes too much sense for Hendry to do that deal.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I wouldn't. If he was older and we had a better option at closer I would though.

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
do that shit. get a small farm for em.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I often wonder what the Cubs would look like without Marmol. Though I love Marmol, but his elbow/arm is going to give sometime.

That's my other concern...

I wouldn't. If he was older and we had a better option at closer I would though.
What does it matter what options we have at closer right now? We aren't going anywhere.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Exactly, so naturally it won't get done. :troll:

We're clearly not making the post season this year, or in the foreseeable future for that matter, so when the deadline comes, Hendry should be on the phone trying to get about a dozen prospects for him. As far as I'm concerned (not to get too far off topic), but everyone except Garza and Demp (to anchor the rotation), Castro, Soto, Barney, Cashner, and Baker should be put on the auction block and if any offers are made on anyone not listed, Hendry should get rid of them. Swallow the contract if need be, because it's clear that Fonzie, Ramirez, Pena, Kosuke, etc. aren't going to be the solution to the Cubs' endless problems.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We're clearly not making the post season this year, or in the foreseeable future for that matter, so when the deadline comes, Hendry should be on the phone trying to get about a dozen prospects for him.

I agree.

As far as I'm concerned (not to get too far off topic), but everyone except Garza and Demp (to anchor the rotation)
I'd rather keep Zambrano, but considering he said he's gonna retire in 2012, Dempster makes sense.

Castro, Soto, Barney, Cashner, and Baker should be put on the auction block and if any offers are made on anyone not listed, Hendry should get rid of them. Swallow the contract if need be, because it's clear that Fonzie, Ramirez, Pena, Kosuke, etc. aren't going to be the solution to the Cubs' endless problems.

I wouldn't mind dealing Soto for the right price. I think he's too overvalued by fans and Cub management.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Why shouldn't we trade Baker and Dempster?

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree.

I'd rather keep Zambrano, but considering he said he's gonna retire in 2012, Dempster makes sense.

I wouldn't mind dealing Soto for the right price. I think he's too overvalued by fans and Cub management.

The only reason I'd keep Soto around is because if we deal him this year, Koyie is going to get all the starts and no one wants that.

I've maintained this since the beginning of the season and I honestly think it's the best option. Release Hill and offer him a job as a bench coach or something. Then have Castillo come up in August and start getting at bats/ major league level experience.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Because Baker will play any position and feasts off of LHP and Dempster is the anchor of the rotation. Hopefully I'm right EYT.

I don't believe anyone should be untouchable, anyone can be had at the right price.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only reason I'd keep Soto around is because if we deal him this year, Koyie is going to get all the starts and no one wants that.

I've maintained this since the beginning of the season and I honestly think it's the best option. Release Hill and offer him a job as a bench coach or something. Then have Castillo come up in August and start getting at bats/ major league level experience.

I think the Cubs would start Castillo if Soto is out for a long period of time, but again that makes too much sense.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Baker is a good utility player and he's good against lefties. So, I mean we could, I just think he's good to keep around to come off the bench and what not.

Dempster is probably going to retire within the next 2-3 seasons (probably) and not only should he retire a Cub (imo), he's a good leader and a good anchor for the rotation. Not only that, but his Harry Caray impression is fucking awesome and we should not trade that away.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because Baker will play any position and feasts off of LHP and Dempster is the anchor of the rotation. Hopefully I'm right EYT.

I don't believe anyone should be untouchable, anyone can be had at the right price.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. :)

I mean, if the Cards offered us Pujols for Castro, I'd obviously do it. But since that's not going to happen, it doesn't make much sense to get rid of him for prospects.

I think the Cubs would start Castillo if Soto is out for a long period of time, but again that makes too much sense.

You would think. But for some reason that I have yet to understand, Quade (probably following in Sweet Lou's footsteps) has a boner for veterans... so they'd bring up Castillo to just rot on the end of the bench, while Hill sucks a big floppy donkey dick behind the plate. Offensively and defensively.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ok... but if we are going to trade Marmol because we won't win anyway... then why not trade Dempster and Baker too? We aren't going to win with them.

And what exactly would we be getting for Marmol? Any already MLB-ready prospects of actula value?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok... but if we are going to trade Marmol because we won't win anyway... then why not trade Dempster and Baker too? We aren't going to win with them.

And what exactly would we be getting for Marmol? Any already MLB-ready prospects of actula value?

I don't think Jim Hendry does these forums, so I can't answer fairly, but I would hope there would be 4-5 quality prospects.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol's stock is probably the lowest it's been in a few years and I don't think it's getting lower, I think it will get back to normal. We won't get enough for him right now.

I'm not really interested in trading starting pitching either. If we had our regular 5, it's a very solid group and I don't wanna screw it up.

Castro is really the only position player I would be pissed to see traded.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

We can get something for Marmol. I'm not sure anyone will take an aging Dempster. And Baker doesn't have much trade value.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We can get something for Marmol. I'm not sure anyone will take an aging Dempster. And Baker doesn't have much trade value.

IK, but I'm trying to gauge this better...
what do you think are best packages of:
1 prospect
2 prospects
3 prospects
4 prospects
and 5 prospects
we'd be able to get?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should not be trading marmol.

He's signed cheaply and is very good. Wouldn't make sense.