Trade Marmol?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If that's the case and someone is willing to overpay for him I'm down for sure. Especially if it were an AL team.

I love Marmol but everyone has a price.

Right now there are 18 teams either leading a division or within 4.5 games of the leader...HUGE seller's market this year.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Trade the whole team... Then start your youngest 10 players in the farm system, play them until the end of the year. Done.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Trade the whole team... Then start your youngest 10 players in the farm system, play them until the end of the year. Done.

You wanna trade Castro and Colvin? That's near blasphemy on this board.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
nah...they're different players. Colvin is slightly more power, Murton was a much better hitter, and much more patient.

Murton lead the Japanese league in hitting this year lol

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The responses and discussion in this thread are whacked out.

Asking what anchors are, to sean marshall being "bonertastic" to people actually not wanting to trade marmol.

to get back on topic...... will marmol be closing out a WS anytime soon for the cubs? you can get a nice return for this guy.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I think it kind of depends on the draft and the other players that are traded. What we get in the draft and who we can get for other vets should be considered. We obviously dont know that now.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So since we have someone that we are pretty sure would be a capable back-up, why wouldn't we trade the other in a down year anyway...when there's going to be more teams buying than any season in recent memory...in a season in which we're clearly not going anywhere?

(btw, I'm on the fence w/ this...not sure which way to go...leaning towards dabbling him out there, tho)

I'm totally for trading him, considering we have Marshall. I really think that we can absolutely rape in a trade with Marmol. Let's hope that if the Cubs do get rid of Jimbo, it's after the trade deadline, or else Ricketts is a dumbass.

Where's one of those sabre guys? How many more wins is Marmol worth than Marshall? I'm sure there's a stat for that somewhere.

Over the last year and a half Marms has been worth .7 wins more. However, out of all relievers, Marshall is still 4th.

The responses and discussion in this thread are whacked out.

Asking what anchors are, to sean marshall being "bonertastic" to people actually not wanting to trade marmol.

to get back on topic...... will marmol be closing out a WS anytime soon for the cubs? you can get a nice return for this guy.

I would consider an anchor an ace, he considered it a veteran. I don't think that's out of line.

How is Sean Marshall not bonertastic? Sorry he has been better than your beloved Thornton.

Reactions: X

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol is not a FA so if you aren't offered a lot what is wrong with keeping him Dewey? I wouldn't give him up for a nice return, id give him up for a great return.

Rick

Liked Posts:
They can trade everyone for all I care...this team, as of right now, is completely doomed.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point, as much as I hate to say it, it's prolly in the best interest to trade Mamol. While is stok is pretty high. Then move Cash in as the closer (was projected to be closer and with arm injuries, may make most sense). Then, call up McNutt. Which Soto says is ready.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Marmol is not a FA so if you aren't offered a lot what is wrong with keeping him Dewey? I wouldn't give him up for a nice return, id give him up for a great return.

That's why Marmol would bring such a huge freaking return, imo...dude's under contract beyond this year, and it's a team-friendly contract. I mean, the Cubs could probably get 2 major-league ready starters and a whole crapload for the farm.

Marmol could be exactly what we all thought he would be...the reason we succeed in the future. Just for a far different reason.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
And he has such a reasonable contract. I love his contract, I thought it was a steal. And JH didn't give him a NTC, I know shocker hahah.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where's one of those sabre guys? How many more wins is Marmol worth than Marshall? I'm sure there's a stat for that somewhere.

I thought you didnt like SABR stats?

In terms of WAR it's not going to be that much because they don't pitch that many innings.

Going off just last year which is really the only sample size we have its about a win difference in terms of WAR.

Now I am going to get all technical on you....

The reason its even that large is because of the LI (leverage index) (which measures how "pressurized" the appearance is. Basically the higher the LI the more important the situation is. For instance pitching in the first inning tie score is going to be around a 1 where as pitching in the 9th inning bases loaded up by 1 is going to be around an 8ish or higher. Like for instance our game the other night with the Astros where Marshall was pitching to Bourn with the bases loaded top of the 7th in a tie game the LI was 4.73 here you can see all the LI for that game but again this was just a quick lesson). If you would like me to say more I would be happy to.

Now that I got off track the reason the LI matters is because its weighted differently. A relief pitcher that pitches like Marmol does in high leverage situation will be and should be worth more than someone who pitches like Marmol in only mop up duty, and since Marmol's LI is higher than Marshall's he will have the higher WAR.

If you want to just look at stats like ERA or FIP the difference isn't as large. Over 70-ish innings is somewhere between 1 and 2 runs a year which is no where near a win share. Just depends on whether you think Marshall can compete like he currently does as the closer.

I still wouldn't move Marmol just because we now have the 8th and 9th innings basically locked down. That's something not a lot of teams have and this team isn't nearly as far off as all of you think it is. We could VERY VERY easily be looking at a 2006 type team a team riddled by injuries with some money coming off and a very nice FA in spots we need players. We have 5 very solid SP's a lock down back end of the bullpen and just a few weaknesses on the offense that can easily be corrected.

Marmol should not even be considered as a trade unless you are getting a mammoth return, and by that I am talking someone who is going to make an impact immediately.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I thought you didnt like SABR stats?

In terms of WAR it's not going to be that much because they don't pitch that many innings.

Going off just last year which is really the only sample size we have its about a win difference in terms of WAR.

Now I am going to get all technical on you....

The reason its even that large is because of the LI (leverage index) (which measures how "pressurized" the appearance is. Basically the higher the LI the more important the situation is. For instance pitching in the first inning tie score is going to be around a 1 where as pitching in the 9th inning bases loaded up by 1 is going to be around an 8ish or higher. Like for instance our game the other night with the Astros where Marshall was pitching to Bourn with the bases loaded top of the 7th in a tie game the LI was 4.73 here you can see all the LI for that game but again this was just a quick lesson). If you would like me to say more I would be happy to.

Now that I got off track the reason the LI matters is because its weighted differently. A relief pitcher that pitches like Marmol does in high leverage situation will be and should be worth more than someone who pitches like Marmol in only mop up duty, and since Marmol's LI is higher than Marshall's he will have the higher WAR.

If you want to just look at stats like ERA or FIP the difference isn't as large. Over 70-ish innings is somewhere between 1 and 2 runs a year which is no where near a win share. Just depends on whether you think Marshall can compete like he currently does as the closer.

I still wouldn't move Marmol just because we now have the 8th and 9th innings basically locked down. That's something not a lot of teams have and this team isn't nearly as far off as all of you think it is. We could VERY VERY easily be looking at a 2006 type team a team riddled by injuries with some money coming off and a very nice FA in spots we need players. We have 5 very solid SP's a lock down back end of the bullpen and just a few weaknesses on the offense that can easily be corrected.

Marmol should not even be considered as a trade unless you are getting a mammoth return, and by that I am talking someone who is going to make an impact immediately.

I don't like the stats...but I figured one of them would show Marshall and Marmol are worth nearly the same.

the LI thing is interesting tho. but hasn't Marshall closed successfully for us in the past?