Trade Marmol?

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
IK, but I'm trying to gauge this better...
what do you think are best packages of:
1 prospect
2 prospects
3 prospects
4 prospects
and 5 prospects
we'd be able to get?

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here. Are you asking for specific names, positions, what?

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
We should not be trading marmol.

He's signed cheaply and is very good. Wouldn't make sense.

All depends what he could bring in a trade imo. I would trade him to the Yanks for a catching prospect like Montero or the other 1 and a few more top prospects

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We should not be trading marmol.

He's signed cheaply and is very good. Wouldn't make sense.

:obama:

That's what makes it make perfect sense. He's cheap so there's no money to eat in a trade and the cheap + very good option is attractive to teams who would be willing to give up something for him.

By the time this team is ready to win a World Series Marmol won't be a factor IMO. Might as well trade for some guys that will/might be.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't. If he was older and we had a better option at closer I would though.

Sean Marshall says hi.

Exactly, so naturally it won't get done. :troll:

We're clearly not making the post season this year, or in the foreseeable future for that matter, so when the deadline comes, Hendry should be on the phone trying to get about a dozen prospects for him. As far as I'm concerned (not to get too far off topic), but everyone except Garza and Demp (to anchor the rotation), Castro, Soto, Barney, Cashner, and Baker should be put on the auction block and if any offers are made on anyone not listed, Hendry should get rid of them. Swallow the contract if need be, because it's clear that Fonzie, Ramirez, Pena, Kosuke, etc. aren't going to be the solution to the Cubs' endless problems.

Why does the rotation need an "anchor?"

Because Baker will play any position and feasts off of LHP and Dempster is the anchor of the rotation. Hopefully I'm right EYT.

I don't believe anyone should be untouchable, anyone can be had at the right price.

Why do we need an anchor? I don't understand that? Hell, what is an anchor? A #1? Demp isn't a #1.

If we can get anything for either of them, I'd ship them out. If not, keep them. But that should pretty much go for about half the team.

Also, Po, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I thought I clicked the multi-quote button, but I guess I didn't, so I'll just address it. I don't see what the positive of having a really good player who is only going to be pitching like 70 innings this year is, when he should be used in tight games. We don't really get tight games anymore. If we do, we blow them. However, I see where you are coming from for the future, but (depending on the package we could get in return), I think that would definitely help us a lot more in the future. If we could get 2 top 10 specs for him, all we would need is for one of them to pan out for us to get more value. I really don't think we can end up with 2 top 10ers, but if we could get 2 top 20 specs, I definitely think that would be something I would pull the trigger on.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Why do we need an anchor? I don't understand that? Hell, what is an anchor? A #1? Demp isn't a #1.

I swear you do not read the entirety of my posts.

Because Baker will play any position and feasts off of LHP and Dempster is the anchor of the rotation. Hopefully I'm right EYT.

I was explaining what EYTs logic is/was.

I don't believe anyone should be untouchable, anyone can be had at the right price.

Exactly what you just said.

If we can get anything for either of them, I'd ship them out. If not, keep them.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sean Marshall says hi.

If we can get anything for either of them, I'd ship them out. If not, keep them. But that should pretty much go for about half the team.

Also, Po, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I thought I clicked the multi-quote button, but I guess I didn't, so I'll just address it. I don't see what the positive of having a really good player who is only going to be pitching like 70 innings this year is, when he should be used in tight games. We don't really get tight games anymore. If we do, we blow them. However, I see where you are coming from for the future, but (depending on the package we could get in return), I think that would definitely help us a lot more in the future. If we could get 2 top 10 specs for him, all we would need is for one of them to pan out for us to get more value. I really don't think we can end up with 2 top 10ers, but if we could get 2 top 20 specs, I definitely think that would be something I would pull the trigger on.

2 top 20 prospects really isn't all that much. If that is all we get, then I'd just keep Marms.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the package was nice I'd do it but I don't think it'd be crazy to keep him.

If JH can put together a decent team he'd instantly become more valuable to the club and would be greatly missed if he were traded in that scenario.

It all depends on what you can get for him though. I, too, think any player should be considered.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I swear you do not read the entirety of my posts.

I was explaining what EYTs logic is/was.

Exactly what you just said.

I was more adding onto what I had already posted. I don't understand the whole anchor thing.

2 top 20 prospects really isn't all that much. If that is all we get, then I'd just keep Marms.

How much are you really expecting to get for a reliever?

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
I was more adding onto what I had already posted. I don't understand the whole anchor thing.

How much are you really expecting to get for a reliever?

It wouldn't be enough IMO.

Any good GM wouldn't give up much for a reliever.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:

We don't NEED one, but why wouldn't you want a veteran on the rotation who is familiar with the proceedings of the team and a positive influence on club moral, especially now when nothing is really going right.

And no, the anchor doesn't necessarily have to be a #1, just someone who can mediate and provide help and advise younger pitchers.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't. If he was older and we had a better option at closer I would though.

You could argue that Sean Marshall has been better for the last year and a half...just not as exciting.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
You could argue that Sean Marshall has been better for the last year and a half...just not as exciting.

Hmm...

Marshall has been great but I'm not going that far.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We don't NEED one, but why wouldn't you want a veteran on the rotation who is familiar with the proceedings of the team and a positive influence on club moral, especially now when nothing is really going right.

And no, the anchor doesn't necessarily have to be a #1, just someone who can mediate and provide help and advise younger pitchers.

Greg Maddux. I really don't want to see Dempster on this team anymore. He is getting up there in years and as it should be, his production is starting to decline.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marms has been the best reliever in baseball the last year and a half, however Marshall has also been bonertastic. He is definitely in the top 5.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Greg Maddux. I really don't want to see Dempster on this team anymore. He is getting up there in years and as it should be, his production is starting to decline.

I agree, he'd be a great PITCHING COACH. But he's made it clear that he has no desire to do so because he wishes to remain close to his family and not travel. But the point of an anchor is that he's an actual starter. That's sort of the whole designation, I guess.

Marms has been the best reliever in baseball the last year and a half, however Marshall has also been bonertastic. He is definitely in the top 5.

Best. Adjective. Ever.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

So since we have someone that we are pretty sure would be a capable back-up, why wouldn't we trade the other in a down year anyway...when there's going to be more teams buying than any season in recent memory...in a season in which we're clearly not going anywhere?

(btw, I'm on the fence w/ this...not sure which way to go...leaning towards dabbling him out there, tho)

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
So since we have someone that we are pretty sure would be a capable back-up, why wouldn't we trade the other in a down year anyway...when there's going to be more teams buying than any season in recent memory...in a season in which we're clearly not going anywhere?

(btw, I'm on the fence w/ this...not sure which way to go...leaning towards dabbling him out there, tho)

For me its because you wont get enough for him. Trade other guys. We aren't good this year but if we are next year or 2012 we would be kicking ourselves for trading him.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For me its because you wont get enough for him. Trade other guys. We aren't good this year but if we are next year or 2012 we would be kicking ourselves for trading him.

Where's one of those sabre guys? How many more wins is Marmol worth than Marshall? I'm sure there's a stat for that somewhere.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Also, I honestly think you'll see HUGE payoffs in trades this season b/c the trade market is going to be so competitive. You could have 4 teams just in the AL-C trying to improve their teams...some teams will be willing to give up major pieces of their future for a shot at this season.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, I honestly think you'll see HUGE payoffs in trades this season b/c the trade market is going to be so competitive. You could have 4 teams just in the AL-C trying to improve their teams...some teams will be willing to give up major pieces of their future for a shot at this season.

If that's the case and someone is willing to overpay for him I'm down for sure. Especially if it were an AL team.

I love Marmol but everyone has a price.