Trade Marmol?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the stats...but I figured one of them would show Marshall and Marmol are worth nearly the same.

the LI thing is interesting tho. but hasn't Marshall closed successfully for us in the past?

Yeah, he has done a pretty good job. The Cubs have options to close, that wouldn't be the problem.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the stats...but I figured one of them would show Marshall and Marmol are worth nearly the same.

the LI thing is interesting tho. but hasn't Marshall closed successfully for us in the past?

He has three saves in his career. One in each of 2008, 2010, 2011.

You just don't want to run into the LaTroy Hawkins type thing.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
to get back on topic...... will marmol be closing out a WS anytime soon for the cubs? you can get a nice return for this guy.
This.

Marmol should not even be considered as a trade unless you are getting a mammoth return, and by that I am talking someone who is going to make an impact immediately.

Why does that matter? The Cubs aren't going anywhere immedietly. They need help to rebuild the team/organization. A guy that can help "immedietly" may not even be around to help the team by the time they are ready to make a run at the WS.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think the Cubs would get a fair package for Marmol. Teams dont like to give up tons for RP. Marmol is still young enough why wouldnt he be around for Cubs to be contenders? Aftero 2006 season noboday thought they contend anytime but Cubs went had great offseason and won back to back divisions. Cubs have ALOT of money coming off books, if they do what a Big Market is supposed to do then they could contend in the next couple of years which Marmol still could be part of. So i wouldnt go trade Marmol

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They should've traded him before that extension was signed. But I fear we're just repeating ourselves :D

bbaker

Liked Posts:
Cubs couldn't trade Marmol for a piece of gum right now.

Heisenberg

Run
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. Please make it happen ASAP.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at this Special person

timmy.jpg

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Buy low sell high.

Even on baseball players.

Too bad Jim couldn't sell high :obama:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not really true. Hendry sold high on DeRosa and eventually turned him into Matt Garza. He did mostly dumb stuff but there was good in there. You just really have to dig :lol:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's not really true. Hendry sold high on DeRosa and eventually turned him into Matt Garza. He did mostly dumb stuff but there was good in there. You just really have to dig :lol:
He didn't sell high on Marmol.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nope. Extended him. Bad idea.
Meh. Even extending him wasn't a terrible idea. It gives teams a price of control.

Unless Hendry extended over team's controlling years :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. Even extending him wasn't a terrible idea. It gives teams a price of control.

Unless Hendry extended over team's controlling years :lol:

The extension covered the last two years of arbitration plus a free agent year. Essentially he saved a minimal amount of money, if that. Had he just given Marmol his arbitration salary the other team would have been allowed to decide what he was worth the following years and they could have extended him to whatever. His trade value was clearly best before the extension. The extension was also unnecessary given the context of the team, because there weren't going to be all that many save opportunities during that contract (a bit of hindsight and also a bit of foreshadowing given how bad the offense was) so all told it was a waste of money.