Trade news before season

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I wonder what Jordan Howard’s market would be right now...?

Howard would be a great fit with the Texans. In fact hed make them a lock to win that division. He's a great power runner and is still fresh. Watson has hood recieving options but with Howard on the field you would see alot of 8 man boxes set up to defend him. Hopkins and Watson would both be beneficiaries.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Howard would be a great fit with the Texans. In fact hed make them a lock to win that division. He's a great power runner and is still fresh. Watson has hood recieving options but with Howard on the field you would see alot of 8 man boxes set up to defend him. Hopkins and Watson would both be beneficiaries.
They traded for a RB earlier today.
It's only Carlos Hyde, but still....they have no interest in Howard.
Nor should they.

And no team is stacking the box to stop 3.0 YPC Jordan Howard while Hopkins is on the field.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
They traded for a RB earlier today.
It's only Carlos Hyde, but still....they have no interest in Howard.
Nor should they.

And no team is stacking the box to stop 3.0 YPC Jordan Howard while Hopkins is on the field.

It depends on how you use the guy. He doesnt fit Nagys offense. Otherwise he's way better than a 3 ypc back. Also he needs touches cant get gokng on 15 carries.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He isn’t exactly going to be cheap next year on the 5th year option and he has a fuck ton of leverage.

Also, he’s had one good year. For Texans sake that better continue.
That line should be effectively fixed but still won't rank well unless Watson stops holding the ball that long. On the other hand, Watson's own stats may be awesome this year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It depends on how you use the guy. He doesnt fit Nagys offense. Otherwise he's way better than a 3 ypc back. Also he needs touches cant get gokng on 15 carries.
So....we should have designed an offense to get him more than 15 carries, knowing he'd be at 3.0 for the first 15 or more?
We argued the Howard thing all season last year on this board, and he's gone now. And the team that acquired him went out and got another back after they had him.

I am not going to lament the fact that he is gone. I have nothing against him, but I am very confident we are better off today than when he was here.

Let's see how he does before we continue saying Nagy didn't know how to use him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That line should be effectively fixed but still won't rank well unless Watson stops holding the ball that long. On the other hand, Watson's own stats may be awesome this year.

I just don't see it. Did Watson get a new head coach? A new offensive coordinator? Otherwise I don't see how he's magically going to do a hell of a lot better than he has the last two years. He literally had the worst time to throw of all quarterbacks in 2017 and he was only 2nd to worst in 2018 with less than a tenth of a second of improvement in time to throw.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
So....we should have designed an offense to get him more than 15 carries, knowing he'd be at 3.0 for the first 15 or more?
We argued the Howard thing all season last year on this board, and he's gone now. And the team that acquired him went out and got another back after they had him.

I am not going to lament the fact that he is gone. I have nothing against him, but I am very confident we are better off today than when he was here.

Let's see how he does before we continue saying Nagy didn't know how to use him.

Nagy understands the power run game very well. He just doesnt run that type of offense. Which is why Howard didn't fit. In an offense that does though he would excel.

Howard is a power runner. Nagy might run a power running or traditional single back under center run 5 times a game combined. Nagy just cant use him in his style of offense.

Also, Power running games are designed to protect passers against pass elite pass rushers and fast undersized defenses. Nagy clearly has confidence that mitch can make the throws, make adjustments to the defense and his WRs can get seperation. Otherwise you'd run the ball (predictable) but with power

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I just don't see it. Did Watson get a new head coach? A new offensive coordinator? Otherwise I don't see how he's magically going to do a hell of a lot better than he has the last two years. He literally had the worst time to throw of all quarterbacks in 2017 and he was only 2nd to worst in 2018 with less than a tenth of a second of improvement in time to throw.

Nor do I.

Keep in mind, I think think the Texans will win the division, but they have not made the improvements to fix some of the underlying issues that haunted them in the past. Plus, homeboy is working on a couple bad knees. I am wary of Watson's abilities projecting forward with his injury history.

Then God forbid that line does not protect him.

I think the Titans will be competitive in the division this year. Foles takes over in Jacksonville. I don't think it will be a total cake walk for the Texans. They will have to earn the division this year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Its not perfect but it should be serviceable enough....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think Miami and Rosen are more of the losers in this trade.
Rosen is on a team trying to tank, with a goal of drafting a QB, so he will literally be drafted over two years in a row after being a first round draft choice. Can't say I have ever seen that before.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s a ‘steal’ of a deal for one year but imo what are the Seahawks doing??? You gave up draft capitol for a 1 year rental player. The Seahawks are trying to win now but imo their roster is not at that point.

Why pay Clowney top end money on a long term deal? They just got rid of frank clark because they didn’t want to pay him. Why the hell pay Clowney? The Seahawks need an edge rusher.

This deal makes no sense to me unless the Seahawks really believe Clowney was the missing piece.

I think Seattle thought Clark might sit out, so they traded him prior to the draft before his trade value began to diminish. They got a 1st and a 2nd. Then Clowney just sort of fell into their laps, as HouSton became desperate to unload him after he refused to be traded to Miami. Even if they didn’t plan on re-signing either player, they got a good swap in Clark + a 3rd for Clowney + a 1st and 2nd.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watson holding the ball was mentioned in the post you responded to so don't really understand you emphasis there and since he does hold the ball that long and still does very well, why you supposed doing so under less pressure wouldn't help matters, especially if he's more able to roll. He'll also have Stills added to the receiving core. It's a 3rd year QB and anything could happen but better protection and places to throw should have a QB doing better than the year before. That O is what it is due to O'Brien's personnel.

Watson doing awesome is only a somewhat better than he's been doing. His #s have been near awesome since he's been in the league.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If you don’t think that the Tunsil trade was bad for the Texans, just remember that he’s going to likely be the highest paid LT in the league as well. You dont give up that bounty and not extend a player. Tunsil has ALL the leverage in the world.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If you don’t think that the Tunsil trade was bad for the Texans, just remember that he’s going to likely be the highest paid LT in the league as well. You dont give up that bounty and not extend a player. Tunsil has ALL the leverage in the world.

OBrien will just tag him and trade him for a 3rd.