Trades.. list cubs players you think are on the move

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Who cares if he is less expensive.

The Cubs have the money.

The focus should be getting the best players. Not the cheapest players.

Every team has a budget. The Cardinals could have resigned Pujols, but their budget suggested spending on Beltran and implementing a platoon of Berkman and Craig for 1B. The Brewers could have resigned Fielder, but their budget suggested picking up Ramirez and using Gamel/Hart/Ishikawa as a 1B platoon. One worked and one didn't.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jhonny Peralta makes sense. He has a better glove than Reynolds (really, who doesn't at 3B) and doesn't have the K's. He also doesn't have the 30 HR power of Reynolds but will likely be less expensive.

Dumb.

If ahead late inning move Valbuena over to 3B Barney to 2B. Hold the lead. Behind keep the best O out there.

That is why using platoons are dumb. Better to use the bench for D switches to tighten things up late inning.

Need an O that produces to get the lead and a staff that can limit runs on the other side.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3. Reynolds 3B........246/.329/.487 13 HR 41 RBI

cant always assume guys are going to put up the same type of numbers on a different team..
going to face different pitches with different situations.

Talk about nickel and diming an argument.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Guess you couldn't understand the second sentence you quoted where I stated the Cubs have the money.

Let me know how I can make it easier for you to understand.

Every team has money. It is the budget that matters in regards to signing FAs.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Dumb.

If ahead late inning move Valbuena over to 3B Barney to 2B. Hold the lead. Behind keep the best O out there.

That is why using platoons are dumb. Better to use the bench for D switches to tighten things up late inning.

Need an O that produces to get the lead and a staff that can limit runs on the other side.

Tell that the the Giants who have a team built on pitching/defense/timely hitting. Also, if your team is going to have a SS with defensive issues (Castro or Baez), might not want to put a butcher at 3B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
W/E. They have a better staff. Over all.. And a Ball Park that limits HR's. Cubs are not in that situation in Wrigg.

anywho

new stuff:

Cubs GM Jed Hoyer was on Buster Olney's podcast for ESPN today; here are some highlights.

The Cubs' bullpen sports a 4.26 ERA, 13th in the National League. Hoyer knows it needs to get better, and espoused his philosophy: "A big part of it is drafting power arms and having a surplus and inventory of those kind of guys. Usually you draft starters in the draft, and a lot of the best relievers are failed starters and I think you have to really do that year after year after year. I think that's how you end up with a good bullpen. Going out in the offseason and deciding, OK, we're going to spend money on the bullpen, that's a total fool's errand." Hoyer splurged on Kyuji Fujikawa for two years and $9.5MM this offseason, and he's having Tommy John surgery this month.
Regarding the Cubs' inability to draw walks, Hoyer said, "We've got to change up the whole culture. The culture of the Cubs was always, swing early in the count, walks were never something that was emphasized. It's a really slippery slope, you don't want to have a bunch of passive hitters on your team. At the same time, walks are indicative of a good approach at the plate, and we don't have that. We've tried to bring in hitters...Rizzo has a good approach at the plate, DeJesus is excellent, Nate Schierholtz, Valbuena's a good on-base guy. But a lot of the guys we inherited have struggled with that adjustment, and something we have to keep on pounding away at. We've said, if guys we inherited aren't going to do that, we have to find other people because we're just not going to win baseball games if we don't get on base more."
It's not true that the Jim Hendry regime ignored walks and OBP til the very end, however. The Cubs led the NL in walks in 2008, when they won 97 games. They spent big money on Kosuke Fukudome prior to that season because of his approach at the plate, and signings like Milton Bradley and Carlos Pena were of a similar mindset. Regarding Hoyer's comment about "guys we inherited," Starlin Castro, Welington Castillo, and Alfonso Soriano all have walk rates below four percent this year. Then again, so do Schierholtz and Scott Hairston. And at .334 in his Cubs career, Rizzo hasn't been an OBP machine either.
Though Hoyer suggested the team will replace low-OBP players, shortstop Starlin Castro (.294 this year) isn't considered part of the problem. "He'll figure out the on-base thing," said Hoyer, who says Castro is "just in a slump right now."
If there was any doubt, it sounds like the Cubs will be trade deadline sellers once again. "If you are in a situation where you're not going to compete that year, and you have players that aren't signed for the next year, you're doing a disservice not to acquire young players at that time," said Hoyer. The Cubs' impending free agents include Matt Garza, Scott Feldman, Carlos Marmol, Dioner Navarro, Shawn Camp, Kevin Gregg, and Ryan Sweeney, while David DeJesus has a club option for 2014. Hoyer noted that the draft is a line of demarcation, after which teams start talking trade in earnest.
The Cubs convinced Feldman to sign by offering an opportunity. "We told him flat out this winter when we recruited him that he'd be in the rotation and we'd try to give him as many starts as possible," said Hoyer, who admitted being able to offer that kind of opportunity is one of the few nice things about being in a rebuilding situation.
Though the Cubs have "never really been in a huge hurry to move" Alfonso Soriano due to his positive clubhouse influence, Hoyer admitted, "At some point, it may make sense." Hoyer feels that Soriano might welcome a trade for a chance to get a ring. Hoyer said Soriano, who has a full no-trade clause, has not given the Cubs a list of teams, preferring to take it on a case-by-case basis. Back in February, Soriano told reporters there were "six or seven" clubs he's named to the Cubs as acceptable trade destinations, teams in the "east or center."
The Cubs pick second in Thursday's draft, and Hoyer noted, "We've really made a concerted effort not to let that #2 pick derail the rest of the draft." The Cubs have narrowed their list down to four college players, thought to be Mark Appel, Jonathan Gray, Kris Bryant, and Colin Moran. Tomorrow or even on draft day, Hoyer and company will whittle their list and take the best player on their board that doesn't go to the Astros first overall.
How have Hoyer and Cubs president Theo Epstein done since taking over in fall 2011? Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald judges their major moves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Jhonny Peralta makes sense. He has a better glove than Reynolds (really, who doesn't at 3B) and doesn't have the K's. He also doesn't have the 30 HR power of Reynolds but will likely be less expensive.

3B? Hell, I was actually hoping they would trade Castro to either put close-to-ready pitching in the farm, or used as a trade piece for another player for the now to fill one of the many voids, and put Peralta who is far superior defensively than Castro at SS. I don't care how old he is.

for example, Jimmy Rollins' worst year which is this year, is just now equal to Castro's best year which is also this year, and Rollins is 11 years older.

I thought the old adage was that you are suppose to be strongest defensively up the middle?

Rollins has never had more than 14 errors in a season at SS, Peralta has never had more than 19, and those are rare occasions for them.

It doesn't take a player 4-5 years to learn how to play SS defensively and some people around here should realize that you either have it, or you don't.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
3B? Hell, I was actually hoping they would trade Castro to either put close-to-ready pitching in the farm, or used as a trade piece for another player for the now to fill one of the many voids, and put Peralta who is far superior defensively than Castro at SS. I don't care how old he is.

for example, Jimmy Rollins' worst year which is this year, is just now equal to Castro's best year which is also this year, and Rollins is 11 years older.

I thought the old adage was that you are suppose to be strongest defensively up the middle?

Rollins has never had more than 14 errors in a season at SS, Peralta has never had more than 19, and those are rare occasions for them.

It doesn't take a player 4-5 years to learn how to play SS defensively and some people around here should realize that you either have it, or you don't.

Hmmm, I remember ESPN saying that no NL shortstop had a line like Castro since 2007 who happened to be Rollins. People are over reacting and its getting comical. He has made 7 errors on the year. Not 25 like people act.

Jimmy Rollins age 23

.245 AVG
.306 OBP
11 Homers
.686 OPS

Stronger defensively but Castro has shown improvements. Until, we have some one young that can replace him. I dont understand what this discussion is about.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From what Hoyer said:

Sellers.

Guys going on the block:

Matt Garza, Scott Feldman, Carlos Marmol, Dioner Navarro, Shawn Camp, Kevin Gregg, and Ryan Sweeney, while David DeJesus has a club option for 2014.

Low OBA guys that they will try to replace:

Regarding Hoyer's comment about "guys we inherited," Starlin Castro, Welington Castillo, and Alfonso Soriano all have walk rates below four percent this year.

Though Hoyer suggested the team will replace low-OBP players, shortstop Starlin Castro (.294 this year) isn't considered part of the problem. "He'll figure out the on-base thing," said Hoyer, who says Castro is "just in a slump right now."

Was a up sale tactic....Ya his OBA is down but who is to say it is not a slump.

Which means no we are not going to lower his sale value.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
well they built this team to spare part to fill up the farm system faster. This should not be a surprise to anyone.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what Hoyer said:

Sellers.

Guys going on the block:

Matt Garza, Scott Feldman, Carlos Marmol, Dioner Navarro, Shawn Camp, Kevin Gregg, and Ryan Sweeney, while David DeJesus has a club option for 2014.

Low OBA guys that they will try to replace:

Regarding Hoyer's comment about "guys we inherited," Starlin Castro, Welington Castillo, and Alfonso Soriano all have walk rates below four percent this year.

Was a up sale tactic....Ya his OBA is down but who is to say it is not a slump.

Which means no we are not going to lower his sale value.

Castillo I believe will walk a lot more. He has always walked well in the minors. I wouldnt throw him in that category. Castro goes through spurts with walks and Soriano is Soriano.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castillo I believe will walk a lot more. He has always walked well in the minors. I wouldnt throw him in that category. Castro goes through spurts with walks and Soriano is Soriano.

Going by what Hoyer said:

"A big part of it is drafting power arms and having a surplus and inventory of those kind of guys. Usually you draft starters in the draft, and a lot of the best relievers are failed starters and I think you have to really do that year after year after year. I think that's how you end up with a good bullpen.

So I take it they are drafting more power pitching.

Regarding the Cubs' inability to draw walks, Hoyer said, "We've got to change up the whole culture. The culture of the Cubs was always, swing early in the count, walks were never something that was emphasized. It's a really slippery slope, you don't want to have a bunch of passive hitters on your team. At the same time, walks are indicative of a good approach at the plate, and we don't have that. We've tried to bring in hitters...Rizzo has a good approach at the plate, DeJesus is excellent, Nate Schierholtz, Valbuena's a good on-base guy.

So points towards they will be looking at bringing in OBA type hitters via trade and F/A.

But a lot of the guys we inherited have struggled with that adjustment, and something we have to keep on pounding away at. We've said, if guys we inherited aren't going to do that, we have to find other people because we're just not going to win baseball games if we don't get on base more."
Again this points towards Castro, Castillo and Soriano. All have less than 4% walk rates. If they can not do it they will bring in guys that will.

He pretty much lays it out.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Nice to see Hoyer blame someone else for this team STILL.

Signs garbage that doesn't fit the OBP mold.

Signs Rob Deer to help with the hitting at the plate.

Also heard a couple weeks ago, during a Cubs telecast, that the coaches want to guys to be aggressive and swing the bat.

More Special person drooling at Command Central, by our PR puppet Hoyer, by simply stating whatever is convenient at the time.

Not much of a surprise. Never any mixed messages by this group since they've come aboard.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Going by what Hoyer said:He pretty much lays it out.

And since being part of the Cubs organization.....

He's pretty much laid it out as being a fucking Special person.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Talk about nickel and diming an argument.

just saying.... just like eric chavez, can assume guys like them will put up same numbers if they signed with other teams ..

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Anyone that believes Mark Reynolds wouldn't be an upgrade overall at 3B has to be a flat out dumbass as compared to what is there now.

Peralta would be a nice addition to play SS, not 3B, and will not be as "cheap" as some might believe.

And just think how Castro will be able to display his great range and steady improvement with Reynolds at 3B.

This board contains the biggest clown in willrust and I cannot believe how many here want to de-throne him.

Unbelievable.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
just saying.... just like eric chavez, can assume guys like them will put up same numbers if they signed with other teams ..

They are improvements over what is here, not that they would put up the same numbers.

Just saying....

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Tell that the the Giants who have a team built on pitching/defense/timely hitting. Also, if your team is going to have a SS with defensive issues (Castro or Baez), might not want to put a butcher at 3B.

Tell that to the Giants who have Crawford at SS and Sandoval at 3B.