Trubisky ready to rumble.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
You are correct, it feels like they have essentially ignored talent on the O-line, and Robinson is the only WR that has #1 talent, but he too was drafted in the second round....

However, this all feels like an excuse for Trubisky and I just do not excuse his poor play. He has contributed to the lack of WR production by missing guys that were open.

Go back and look at all of Robinson's catches last year and it was a rare occasion that Trubisky actually hit him in stride. It was the case of AR making Trubisky look better than he was, not the other way around.....

I was surprised at the number of dropped passes we had last year, but again, Tom Brady has play most of his career with no Name WRs and made them look better than they were.

Robinson would have gotten a superstar salary had he not tore his ACL. We are lucky he came off injury the offseason we signed him. High rish high reward worked out. Now will they sign him long term?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Ok lets unpack some of this

They have long developing plays that require more pass protection.

OK this comment is drifting into the land of "red herrings" and " Strawman" when you inject "reading D".
Pass protection is the focus. His escapability is a good attribute for Pass protection breakdown.

I watched games and have seen pass protection breakdowns. I don't view buying time for wr's as "playing backyard football". Sure Hopkins was good. But moving forward.... the pass protection is the key to long developing plays.
Note the pass protection breakdowns in the 3 videos below

Throughout the 1st video below there's NO good pass protection....but go to @3:33 and lets talk "pass protection" .
On the play, Watson read "cover 0", changed the play to a 'hb check down'.

---------

P.S. Based on what I've seen with his Td to ints. I'm very comfortable with Watsons D reading skills. But I don't wanna slip
into the land of "red herrings" and " Strawman"

I'm pretty sure he's just really hard to guage because of his athleticism and explosiveness. Those throws to Hopkins are the same throws a certain QB gets roasted for as being a one read QB. Those highlights are impressive but I see alot of 28 year old Russell Wilson in Watson and very little Peyton Manning.

If you like him thats fine. I think Mahommes has a way better ability to read defenses which is what makes him a possible HOF QB and an annual contender for SBs.

I see bad pass pro but still its better than what we have. I also could see the QB taking a few season ending injuries if he keeps doing that stuff even though its it's what makes him special.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
All indications point to Trubisky taking this Foles thing the right way. He is being pushed and he is responding. He is studying more and practicing more. I think this will bring out the best in Trubisky and work out great for our team. Having to compete will push him, and he has not been pushed at all the first 3 years. Competition is always good. We started flat the last few years but i suspect we won't this year. This year the season starts long before the first game, this year by game one we will be in midseason mode. Trubisky will make or break this year. Picking up Foles was a great move. I'm expecting a hot start and solid season with playoffs.

I thought he already was the first guy to arrive & the last guy to leave? So was he not studying hard the last 3 years?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I thought he already was the first guy to arrive & the last guy to leave? So was he not studying hard the last 3 years?
I guess you can take it negatively if you want. He is being pushed for the first time and he knows he played bad and left a lot on the table last season. This is good for our team. Knowing your job is on the line makes you compete harder. That is natural.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Trubisky fella, who always lacked the warrior spirit, never seemed to be that one who was 'ready to rumble.' Quite the opposite, in fact.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Robinson would have gotten a superstar salary had he not tore his ACL. We are lucky he came off injury the offseason we signed him. High rish high reward worked out. Now will they sign him long term?
I hope so, maybe we can become the place where WR go to prosper, not die?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ok lets unpack some of this

They have long developing plays that require more pass protection.

OK this comment is drifting into the land of "red herrings" and " Strawman" when you inject "reading D".
Pass protection is the focus. His escapability is a good attribute for Pass protection breakdown.

I watched games and have seen pass protection breakdowns. I don't view buying time for wr's as "playing backyard football". Sure Hopkins was good. But moving forward.... the pass protection is the key to long developing plays.
Note the pass protection breakdowns in the 3 videos below

Throughout the 1st video below there's NO good pass protection....but go to @3:33 and lets talk "pass protection" .
On the play, Watson read "cover 0", changed the play to a 'hb check down'.

---------

P.S. Based on what I've seen with his Td to ints. I'm very comfortable with Watsons D reading skills. But I don't wanna slip
into the land of "red herrings" and " Strawman"

I'm pretty sure he's just really hard to guage because of his athleticism and explosiveness. Those throws to Hopkins are the same throws a certain QB gets roasted for as being a one read QB. Those highlights are impressive but I see alot of 28 year old Russell Wilson in Watson and very little Peyton Manning.

If you like him thats fine. I think Mahommes has a way better ability to read defenses which is what makes him a possible HOF QB and an annual contender for SBs.

I see bad pass pro but still its better than what we have. I also could see the QB taking a few season ending injuries if he keeps doing that stuff even though its it's what makes him special.

I'm pretty sure he's just really hard to guage because of his athleticism and explosiveness. Those throws to Hopkins are the same throws a certain QB gets roasted for as being a one read QB

No I don't think pass protection is hard to gauge cos of Watsons athleticism and explosiveness. If you studied the footage,
you'll see he had zero time to set up in the pocket in all 3 of those videos. That's a clear pass protection problem.

As for throws to Hopkins. He's the 'Z' wr. Watson is suppose to go too the 'Z' wr. That's standard protocol for any passing
offense. The 'Z' wr usually gets open. Now...I purposely, broke down the read Watson made in that 1st video. Watson saw
"cover zero", (the play was to the 'Z' wr,) but he made the adjustment at the LOS.....check down to the Hb for a big gain.
So I doubt Manning could've done all that ( the read and the movement) ....to make that play happen.

It doesn't matter if I like Watson or not...I'm just objectively discussing what we see in terms of pass protection.
From what I've seen, Mahomes gets more time in the pocket than Watson.

I think we give our Qb's time in the pocket. I just don't think we run enuff. As for injuries, again it goes back to pass protection. 'Pass pro' breakdowns cause injuries.

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess you can take it negatively if you want. He is being pushed for the first time and he knows he played bad and left a lot on the table last season. This is good for our team. Knowing your job is on the line makes you compete harder. That is natural.

What is good for the team is a good QB period. Just because Trubisky is going to compete harder doesn’t mean he will be good. I’m sure most QBs compete hard.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The hope is that Mitch flips that switch and can absorb some Foles by osmosis. I'm certain that Mitch has been busting his ass since he arrived.

dag54

Liked Posts:
I remember Kurt Warner being interviewed on Carmen and Jurko on the fifth of May. He thinks Trubisky wins the job, but he'll essentially be on a short leash.

Here's the interview. it's at the 33.04 mark

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Who is pushing you to be the worst poster on the bears board? I would think at this point you could easily just coast but boy howdy, you are really getting after it lately!

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
No I don't think pass protection is hard to gauge cos of Watsons athleticism and explosiveness. If you studied the footage,
you'll see he had zero time to set up in the pocket in all 3 of those videos. That's a clear pass protection problem.

As for throws to Hopkins. He's the 'Z' wr. Watson is suppose to go too the 'Z' wr. That's standard protocol for any passing
offense. The 'Z' wr usually gets open. Now...I purposely, broke down the read Watson made in that 1st video. Watson saw
"cover zero", (the play was to the 'Z' wr,) but he made the adjustment at the LOS.....check down to the Hb for a big gain.
So I doubt Manning could've done all that ( the read and the movement) ....to make that play happen.

It doesn't matter if I like Watson or not...I'm just objectively discussing what we see in terms of pass protection.

I think we give our Qb's time in the pocket. I just don't think we run enuff. As for injuries, again it goes back to pass protection. 'Pass pro' breakdowns cause injuries.

You keep saying the guy has bad pass protection when he in fact does not.

I saw plenty of time compared to what we see here. The RG kinda biffs the first play but after that its not exactly putrid. Also you are referencing his highlights. Not entire game film.

He at least gets a chancd to look down field and throw with space. 90% of the time our QB loojs like hes throwing with one of his o lineman standing on his toes.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You keep saying the guy has bad pass protection when he in fact does not.

I saw plenty of time compared to what we see here. The RG kinda biffs the first play but after that its not exactly putrid. Also you are referencing his highlights. Not entire game film.

He at least gets a chancd to look down field and throw with space. 90% of the time our QB loojs like hes throwing with one of his o lineman standing on his toes.

Well "not exactly putrid" isn't good for Watson. But it seems Watson is never passing from a 'clean pocket'. He generally seems like he has to be ready, on each pass play, to create time for his wr's. I can probably access full game film, but you and I aren't gonna spend an hour analyzing Texans pass protection schemes ? :giggle:

On our 'pass pro' here, no it's never been really good. Going back to when I was growing up. The problem now is we're trying to be a pass first team and we're not utilizing the run from under center enuff IMO. I'm sure u can agree, we need to run more to help the passing game and protection.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Well "not exactly putrid" isn't good for Watson. But it seems Watson is never passing from a 'clean pocket'. He generally seems like he has to be ready, on each pass play, to create time for his wr's. I can probably access full game film, but you and I aren't gonna spend an hour analyzing Texans pass protection schemes ? :giggle:

On our 'pass pro' here, no it's never been really good. Going back to when I was growing up. The problem now is we're trying to be a pass first team and we're not utilizing the run from under center enuff IMO. I'm sure u can agree, we need to run more to help the passing game and protection.

Its as if that entire message myself.

If you're going to go all offense you have to sell off every great defensive piece to build that. Because then your genius playcaller is not kneecapped by incompetence or failed execution.

Nagy might be a genius play designer but that shit belongs in oregon. Where he can get his guys to do exactly what he wants. The NFL is a different beast. You have to use the players you get and run something with them that allows them to produce points efficiently.

We power ran through teams last year. And after it worked we stopped doing it. Everyone scratching their heads.

We don't have to win pretty. Look at Tennessee.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Its as if that entire message myself.

If you're going to go all offense you have to sell off every great defensive piece to build that. Because then your genius playcaller is not kneecapped by incompetence or failed execution.

Nagy might be a genius play designer but that shit belongs in oregon. Where he can get his guys to do exactly what he wants. The NFL is a different beast. You have to use the players you get and run something with them that allows them to produce points efficiently.

We power ran through teams last year. And after it worked we stopped doing it. Everyone scratching their heads.

We don't have to win pretty. Look at Tennessee.

Nagy is a concern. He can't put together and or craft a 'O' that will net 3 Tds per game.