Turco Signed (1Y,1.3M), Hawks walk away from Niemi.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
So with Hendry resigned we'd still have 1.8 mil. If we don't waste 500k on Scott we now have 2.3 mil, WHY THE FUCK IS ANDREW LADD NOT ON THIS FUCKING TEAM?

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]So with Hendry resigned we'd still have 1.8 mil. If we don't waste 500k on Scott we now have 2.3 mil, WHY THE FUCK IS ANDREW LADD NOT ON THIS FUCKING TEAM?[/quote]

Because at the time the Ladd offer was made they had NO idea they'd get Turco for 1.3 and not Neimi for 2 plus.

That's why.

nana

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Pez68"]Niemi's agent plays at Johnny's?[/quote]

Supposedly

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]I had an interesting conversation the other day about the timeline of the Niemi scenario. Three weeks prior to arbitration there was a $2.175 million three year

deal offer on the table at which time the Hawks were already looking at Turco.

One week prior to the hearing the Hawks made a second offer but for a one year deal. That amount I did not ask.

I asked do you think that Niemi was naive to the situation and how it was unfolding?

The response, we would like to think that and it appeared to be the case.

I can not tell you who told me that but it was someone involved in the discussions.

One thing appears to be certain and that is the Zito commentary here and what an

ass he is as an agent. I wonder if it is true if Antti has some type of official recourse

against his own agent or do you just chalk it up as pure ignorance? We may never

know and it is a question I would love to ask Antti.[/quote]

I think Zito knew there were offers available to his client in excess of 2.1 mil per season if the Hawks released his client after the arbitration ruling.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Maiden"]

I think Zito knew there were offers available to his client in excess of 2.1 mil per season if the Hawks released his client after the arbitration ruling.[/quote]

Yet have not heard of him signing anywhere............

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

Yet have not heard of him signing anywhere............[/quote]

Very valid point...........my feeling is the Carey Price negotiations are holding up the Niemi signing.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can I dream that he tells Z to F'off and signs with us for a mill for one season?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]Can I dream that he tells Z to F'off and signs with us for a mill for one season?[/quote]

If that happened I am sure Crawford starts to cry.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Maiden"]

I think Zito knew there were offers available to his client in excess of 2.1 mil per season if the Hawks released his client after the arbitration ruling.[/quote]

Since Neimi was released there has been a steady stream of teams denying interest in signing Niemi. I keep waiting for this offer to materialize. Guess the asshat was wrong.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="winos5"]

Since Neimi was released there has been a steady stream of teams denying interest in signing Niemi. I keep waiting for this offer to materialize. Guess the asshat was wrong.[/quote]

Time will tell my freind. Once that steady stream reaches 30 teams we will know for sure.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]I had an interesting conversation the other day about the timeline of the Niemi scenario. Three weeks prior to arbitration there was a $2.175 million three year

deal offer on the table at which time the Hawks were already looking at Turco.

One week prior to the hearing the Hawks made a second offer but for a one year deal. That amount I did not ask.

I asked do you think that Niemi was naive to the situation and how it was unfolding?

The response, we would like to think that and it appeared to be the case.

I can not tell you who told me that but it was someone involved in the discussions.

One thing appears to be certain and that is the Zito commentary here and what an

ass he is as an agent. I wonder if it is true if Antti has some type of official recourse

against his own agent or do you just chalk it up as pure ignorance? We may never

know and it is a question I would love to ask Antti.[/quote]

In this day and age of electronic communication(Text/e-mail) , I'd be surprised if Zito could not produce a "trail" that showed he communicated offers from the Hawks to Niemi. Giving his client bad advice as to what to do with those offers is probably not an actionable offense.

The timeline and the offers you outline don't necessarily damn Zito. Problem #1 for Niemi/Zito, based on the time line, is Hammer signing the offer sheet. Now the Hawks have less money in the payroll budget. Problem #2 is Turco in the wings as to which Niemi and Zito may have been clueless. It's possible the 1 year offer a week prior to arbitration was much less than 2.175. since Niemi would not be giving up UFA years.

Zito could have told Niemi "I'm confident you'll get more than 2.175 in arbitration". And Zito would have been correct. And wrong at the same time.

I'm not sold on the Niemi is a babe in the woods routine. It appears he could have gotten off the merry-go-round on at least two instances prior to arbitration. You pay your money and you take your chance.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, and the Doug Wilson move did have the desired affect he intended. We know that

but to hear it from someone on the inside makes it more interesting. The comment about the unwritten rule of what GM's do and don't do also came up.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think leoleo on the o-board said there were apparently offer sheets to Niemi, which were declined.

[quote name="roshinaya"]I think leoleo on the o-board said there were apparently offer sheets to Niemi, which were declined.[/quote]

Including the Hawks original deal at 2.2 mil.

Oh well. Neimi and or Zito has shot himself in the foot.

Oh and if ANY team pays 80% or less of 2.75, the Hawks can swoop in and take the contract.

Not that they would, but they can.

[quote name="Maiden"]

Time will tell my freind. Once that steady stream reaches 30 teams we will know for sure.[/quote]

I could have swore you said you'd be back opening day.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

I could have swore you said you'd be back opening day.[/quote]

A little birdie told me you missed me here............................. :dance:

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Including the Hawks original deal at 2.2 mil.

Oh well. Neimi and or Zito has shot himself in the foot.

Oh and if ANY team pays 80% or less of 2.75, the Hawks can swoop in and take the contract.

Not that they would, but they can.[/quote]

I believe this was the case in the pre-lockout CBA and not in the new one. At least can't find any mention of it in the new one. Once the team walks-away the player is UFA and that's it.

Yes, Zito and his hardball greed tactics have really made a right mess for his client. I don't know what the offer sheets were and from who, but either they were too low or Niemi didn't want to leave Chicago. If it indeed turns out that Niemi plays somewhere else than in the NHL, it will be a huge ego hit for Zito and doesn't look good for future clients looking for an agent. The agent that managed to price the Cup winning goalie out of the NHL.

[quote name="roshinaya"]

I believe this was the case in the pre-lockout CBA and not in the new one. At least can't find any mention of it in the new one. Once the team walks-away the player is UFA and that's it.

Yes, Zito and his hardball greed tactics have really made a right mess for his client. I don't know what the offer sheets were and from who, but either they were too low or Niemi didn't want to leave Chicago. If it indeed turns out that Niemi plays somewhere else than in the NHL, it will be a huge ego hit for Zito and doesn't look good for future clients looking for an agent. The agent that managed to price the Cup winning goalie out of the NHL.[/quote]

Nope, you are incorrect. Less than 80% of the arbitrated amount the Hawks can resign him.

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement12.asp

(i) If the player accepts an offer from a

New Club in respect of that year of the contract which the Prior

Club has walked-away from that is less than 80% of the award for

such year, the Prior Club may, within seven (7) days after the

date it receives the applicable Offer Sheet, elect to match the

offer of the New Club and the Player and the Prior Club shall

enter into a Player Contract on those terms and conditions;

[quote name="Maiden"]

A little birdie told me you missed me here............................. :dance:[/quote]

If you add to the discussion I do. If you just pop on to tell people their stupid, opening night.