Turco Signed (1Y,1.3M), Hawks walk away from Niemi.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
[quote name="TJD"]

Zito for the record was Ruutu's agent and I remember the hard time the Hawks had getting him to come over and reaching a deal on a contract.[/quote]

I am quite aware of that. That is how I know Zito's name.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those following the Sharks seem to think that Niemi is not on their radar. They seem to think that Wilson thinks Niittymäki and Greiss are good enough, they are especially high on Greiss who will finally get a real shot. Philly as we know already will not be pursuing Niemi, Homer thinks Leighton and Boucher is the way to the promised land.

The Caps is a possibility, but there again the management seem confident in Varlamov and Neuvirth. However I guess a Cup winning goalie at a possibly cheap price doesn't come around often. I think Edmonton could be the most likely destination for Niemi, as it seems Khabby is still broken and is in still hot water due to the past DUI. They're current goalies aren't especially proven either.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love how fitting my calendar from opening night last year is:

September: Brent Seabrook

October: STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

At least they had it right.... :-D

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]Just because he was granted 2.75 through arbitration doesn't mean he won't sign for less than that with some NHL team.

I do agree Zito has put his client in an extremely difficult situation, but remember Niemi allowed it to happen.[/quote]

He took the Hawks to arbitration... What makes you think they accept any offers below that 2.75M?

On the subject of Niemi and Zito... It is Zito's job to know the current market for goaltenders, and what jobs are out there to be had. He had to know that it would be difficult for Niemi to get a STARTING job if the Hawks let him walk after arbitration. He also had to know that the market hasn't exactly been bleeding money for the goaltenders that have signed this offseason. Rumor has it, Niemi/Zito turned down 3 years at 2.66 per year from the Hawks. If that's true, he's a fucking idiot, and deserves whatever happens. Filing for arbitration with an offer like that on the table, means they must have been hoping for a contract north of 3M per season. Zito had to know the Hawks couldn't afford that.... Basically, Niemi and Zito had zero intentions of staying with the Hawks once they filed for arbitration. There was just no way he would fit under the cap with what they were demanding. The fact that there aren't ANY rumors or rumblings out there about teams offerring him a contract, or negotiations happening, does not bode well for him in the least. You had to think he had feelers out there trying to get an idea on other team's interests.....

Here's what makes ZERO sense to me. Niemi is an UFA after next season. The best way for him to make his money, is taking a one year deal from the Hawks this year, and then testing the UFA market next year... Another year behind this Hawks' defense, another playoff run, and double the amount of NHL games played, with similiar stats to 2009-2010, would GUARANTEE him a nice pay raise, and a longer term contract. Probably with the Hawks, who, after next year, can afford to give him closer to what he's looking for. Either Niemi is extremely greedy, or Zito has fucked him over here. Either way, he has hurt himself financially, and maybe hurt his chances at a long NHL career.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Rex"]People need to stop bringing Hammer into this, he was sent an offer sheet, entirely different. First of all, RFA's do not have the right to REFUSE an offer sheet, its done similar to a trade. San Jose sent an offer sheet, Hammer cannot refuse this. It leaves the Hawks two options, match, or don't, in which the Hawks would have been compensated. The offer sheet did screw us, but Hammer could not have outright refused the offer sheet.[/quote]

[quote name="Maiden (I LOVE Burish, Hendry, Tallon, WWW, etc.)"]Couldn't help my self imposed sabbatical...............this is the dumbest, misinformed post maybe ever. Back to vacation.....................................[/quote]

Really Maiden? You came out of sabattical just to call another IHN member dumb? Really?

Sounds to me like Rex simply didn't know that a RFA has to sign an offer sheet. Understandable. Offer sheets are rare. When was the last time a Hawk signed one? That's lack of knowledge, not dumb. There's a difference.

But since we're on the topic of dumb, did you notice how nobody (including myself) called you dumb a few months ago when you were talking about Burish playing on our third line? And when you were singing praises for Hendry at the same time, did you happen to notice that nobody called you dumb and said that Hendry will only be able to play defense when the NHL mandates that all forwards must skate in ankle and wrist shackles?

And speaking of dumb, why are you on sabbatical? Because the Hawks said adios to Niemi???? Good call dude. Funny, as far as i can see, its almost a consensus that taking Turco over Niemi was a no brainer. See how dumb fits in there?

I know, I know. Niemi just won the Cup. That means a lot to dummies. Remember the contract Dale gave Khabby??????

Well I hope you enjoy your sabbatical. And don't forget to stop at WWW's grave and long for the good 'ol days.

-5Minutes

[quote name="Pez68"]

He took the Hawks to arbitration... What makes you think they accept any offers below that 2.75M?

On the subject of Niemi and Zito... It is Zito's job to know the current market for goaltenders, and what jobs are out there to be had. He had to know that it would be difficult for Niemi to get a STARTING job if the Hawks let him walk after arbitration. He also had to know that the market hasn't exactly been bleeding money for the goaltenders that have signed this offseason. Rumor has it, Niemi/Zito turned down 3 years at 2.66 per year from the Hawks. If that's true, he's a fucking idiot, and deserves whatever happens. Filing for arbitration with an offer like that on the table, means they must have been hoping for a contract north of 3M per season. Zito had to know the Hawks couldn't afford that.... Basically, Niemi and Zito had zero intentions of staying with the Hawks once they filed for arbitration. There was just no way he would fit under the cap with what they were demanding. The fact that there aren't ANY rumors or rumblings out there about teams offerring him a contract, or negotiations happening, does not bode well for him in the least. You had to think he had feelers out there trying to get an idea on other team's interests.....

Here's what makes ZERO sense to me. Niemi is an UFA after next season. The best way for him to make his money, is taking a one year deal from the Hawks this year, and then testing the UFA market next year... Another year behind this Hawks' defense, another playoff run, and double the amount of NHL games played, with similiar stats to 2009-2010, would GUARANTEE him a nice pay raise, and a longer term contract. Probably with the Hawks, who, after next year, can afford to give him closer to what he's looking for. Either Niemi is extremely greedy, or Zito has fucked him over here. Either way, he has hurt himself financially, and maybe hurt his chances at a long NHL career.[/quote]

They can most certainly take less than he was arbitrated. There is no rule saying thats the minimum except to the Hawks. If he wants to stay in the NHL he just might have too. And boy that will make Zito look like a horses ass.

As for the rest I mostly agree with.

He does not have to take 2.75 minimum. I'll bet you money on it.

[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]

Really Maiden? You came out of sabattical just to call another IHN member dumb? Really?

Sounds to me like Rex simply didn't know that a RFA has to sign an offer sheet. Understandable. Offer sheets are rare. When was the last time a Hawk signed one? That's lack of knowledge, not dumb. There's a difference.

But since we're on the topic of dumb, did you notice how nobody (including myself) called you dumb a few months ago when you were talking about Burish playing on our third line? And when you were singing praises for Hendry at the same time, did you happen to notice that nobody called you dumb and said that Hendry will only be able to play defense when the NHL mandates that all forwards must skate in ankle and wrist shackles?

And speaking of dumb, why are you on sabbatical? Because the Hawks said adios to Niemi???? Good call dude. Funny, as far as i can see, its almost a consensus that taking Turco over Niemi was a no brainer. See how dumb fits in there?

I know, I know. Niemi just won the Cup. That means a lot to dummies. Remember the contract Dale gave Khabby??????

Well I hope you enjoy your sabbatical. And don't forget to stop at WWW's grave and long for the good 'ol days.

-5Minutes[/quote]

Just a FYI they are resigning Hendry. :dance:

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that once the Hawks walked away from the arbiters ruling making Niemi a UFA, he can sign with whomever he wants, for whatever he wants, including the Hawks. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but if the Hawks wanted to sign him for $1 million right now, I think they could.

[quote name="whalerhawk"]I'm pretty sure that once the Hawks walked away from the arbiters ruling making Niemi a UFA, he can sign with whomever he wants, for whatever he wants, including the Hawks. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but if the Hawks wanted to sign him for $1 million right now, I think they could.[/quote]

I think you are right.

noon

Liked Posts:
[quote name="whalerhawk"]I'm pretty sure that once the Hawks walked away from the arbiters ruling making Niemi a UFA, he can sign with whomever he wants, for whatever he wants, including the Hawks. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but if the Hawks wanted to sign him for $1 million right now, I think they could.[/quote]

I'm not positive about whether there are any restrictions on the Hawks after walking away, but I do know that if another team signs him for less than 80% of the arbitration award, the Hawks would have the right to match and he would become a Hawk again. Not that there's any risk of the Hawks doing that if Niemi does end up signing for less than 2.2M now that they have Turco for 1.3M, but still thought that was interesting.

EDIT: I HAVE SINCE DISCOVERED THAT THIS IS INACCURATE. THIS WAS THE RULE UNDER THE 1995 CBA, BUT NO LONGER CARRIED OVER IN THE 2005 CBA. SORRY -- MY BAD.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
[quote name="noon"]

I'm not positive about whether there are any restrictions on the Hawks after walking away, but I do know that if another team signs him for less than 80% of the arbitration award, the Hawks would have the right to match and he would become a Hawk again. Not that there's any risk of the Hawks doing that if Niemi does end up signing for less than 2.2M now that they have Turco for 1.3M, but still thought that was interesting.[/quote]

What are you, a CBA expert? Yipes!

noon

Liked Posts:
[quote name="jakobeast"]

What are you, a CBA expert? Yipes![/quote]

It's fun bedtime reading.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="noon"]

I'm not positive about whether there are any restrictions on the Hawks after walking away, but I do know that if another team signs him for less than 80% of the arbitration award, the Hawks would have the right to match and he would become a Hawk again. Not that there's any risk of the Hawks doing that if Niemi does end up signing for less than 2.2M now that they have Turco for 1.3M, but still thought that was interesting.[/quote]

And he signs back with us without Zito.

The ultimate fuck you fucker!

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

They can most certainly take less than he was arbitrated. There is no rule saying thats the minimum except to the Hawks. If he wants to stay in the NHL he just might have too. And boy that will make Zito look like a horses ass.

As for the rest I mostly agree with.

He does not have to take 2.75 minimum. I'll bet you money on it.[/quote]

I know he doesn't HAVE to, I'm saying, why WOULD he? Seems like ALL that matters to them at this point is money. If the money isn't there, I could see him taking the money in the KHL, if he can get it there. I think the likely scenario is that Niemi signs a deal making peanuts for this season, with a bottom feeder like Edmonton or NYI... Zito likely gets let go at that point, for fucking Niemi out of potential millions with his bad advice. It's funny how Zito's clients always seem to have these delusions in their head that they are worth SO much money on the open market. Madden is a Zito client as well, right?

[quote name="Pez68"]

I know he doesn't HAVE to, I'm saying, why WOULD he? Seems like ALL that matters to them at this point is money. If the money isn't there, I could see him taking the money in the KHL, if he can get it there. I think the likely scenario is that Niemi signs a deal making peanuts for this season, with a bottom feeder like Edmonton or NYI... Zito likely gets let go at that point, for fucking Niemi out of potential millions with his bad advice. It's funny how Zito's clients always seem to have these delusions in their head that they are worth SO much money on the open market. Madden is a Zito client as well, right?[/quote]

To stay in the NHL.

Zito is Maddens and Burrish's agent. I also think Zombrano's although I could be wrong on Z. Madden and Burrish for sure.

Correction not Zombrano's agent.

Here is a list of his clients....

Adam Burish

Robbie Earl

Patrick Eaves

Valtteri Filppula

Jeff Hamilton

Ville Koistinen

John Madden

Antti Miettinen

Cory Murphy

Petteri Nokelainen

Brad Norton

Tuukka Rask

Brian Rafalski

Tuomo Ruutu

Sami Salo

Tim Thomas

Kimmo Timonen

James Wisniewski

Antti Niemi

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

To stay in the NHL.

Zito is Maddens and Burrish's agent. I also think Zombrano's.[/quote]

If he is Zambrano's then it would make things a wee bit clearer. McD, big splash history,

Cubs, Zito.......... Maybe Zito figured that he could get another big splash out of McD.

noon

Liked Posts:
[quote name="jakobeast"]

What are you, a CBA expert? Yipes![/quote]

Mea culpa. I was looking at the wrong version of the CBA when I saw that. Apparently, this used to be the rule, but was eliminated in the new CBA.

The old CBA had this provision at 12.6(c)(1) http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement12.asp

The current CBA does not seem to have any such provision: http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/

Sorry for the confusion. And if any of you like to nerd out and actually read this thing, make sure you're looking at the correct version. That nhlfa.com site only seems to have the 1995 CBA.

noon

Liked Posts:
And to answer the orginal question. As a UFA, he could theoretically sign with the Hawks (for any amount) if they came to an agreement after walking away from the award.

I like the old 80% rule. Makes sense and provides some "insurance" for the club in the event the arbitration award deviated too far from market value. I guess the players probably felt that it was too restrictive.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
hey - just noticed that capgeek.com finally removed Huet's contract and put him in the 'non-roster' category. Makes it a little easier to read now as you don't have to keep subtracting that out.