Update On The "Great Moves".

patg006

Liked Posts:
And you can't automatically assume he will slump either. That's kind of the point. No one knows until he's out there and with Soriano playing he wasn't going to see time. But even if he does struggle, Soriano had 1 year left on his deal. You have to replace him eventually. And it's not like Soriano had monstrous numbers that are impossible to replace. If it's not Lake, someone like Soler will get a shot in the next year or two.

Yes I can. Because everybody slumps. Even the best in baseball, even last year's triple crown winner. Pitching adjusts to every player, even the greats; they're inevitable. Some last longer than others, some are 20 ABs, some are 40. Rizzo is a poster child for them, although I like the signs he's shown. He's balancing his weekly abs since the beginning of the year. No longer one 4 hit game followed by 5 straight days of 0-fers with a handful of walks to keep that OBP up in the span of the few weeks I've seen him.

Lake will slump, he will be par for course, ice cold, red hot. It happens to players. To think it wont and he will hold steady for a whole year at what you projected is ideal to think, but unlikely to happen.

I highly doubt that's the case because did it appease you? No. Edwin Jackson isn't a "name." He's a #3 pitcher at best. I've seen next to no pressure from the media for the cubs to sign players and the majority of fans I know realize they are rebuilding. And if they really did sign him to just appease the fans they are fucking Special person. You don't sign players to make your fans happy you sign them because you think they help you win.

Cubs wanted pitching, they got a #3 pitcher at market price. I'm ok with it, because it's shown they're capable of opening up the checkbook. And he hasnt sucked this year the way people think he has, he's been hot lately. WHIP is down from career average, and hes no longer dooming himself in the 4th inning. Jackson is exactly what he's supposed to be; an innings eater who has par for course days, good and bad. Signing players sells tickets. Had they gone with Chris Rusin or Brooks Raley the whole year, yes, it would make a difference in ticket sales.

Dont sign players to make fans happy? Well--its not first priority; as signing players to help the team is first priority. But to think any free agents wont put butts in seats is dumb. If were talking a miniscule signing of a vet minimum reliever--no. But a pitcher, a hitter. Someone who you'll see alot of in a line up.

Of course, winning always puts butts in seats. I'm down with that.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Regardless of the numbers Lake puts up or not, he does not bring to the table a power threat that Soriano had, thus, he gave protection to Rizzo.

Furthermore, the Cubs ate almost all of Soriano's contract and they said that every penny was spent this year. Now, I am no rocket scientist, but that leaves very little money to replace him, and Garza's money would have to be used to get a pitcher of somewhat equal value like Santana or Lincecum.

Again, they are right back where they started this year at best case scenario.

They will have to use the Marmol and Hairston money to add a left fielder unless Rickett's wants to release some of his precious money. :popcorn:

I mean you're not wrong. I'm just saying they would be replacing these parts in the coming years. Soriano may have made the cubs better in 2014 but 2015+ he does nothing for them. So, the question becomes does Lake playing full time in 2014 make the cubs better in 2015+. I would argue yes. One of two things happens. Either he sucks and they realize he's not a future building block or he gets the experience he needs to become a full time starter. And they did save something like $6 mil which doesn't seem like a lot but it's not nothing either.

As for Garza, I mean really what is there to say? They decided they weren't going to extend him. At that point they aren't making the playoffs this year and he's a FA. Of course you trade him because if you don't you get nothing. If you disagree with them not signing him long term that's fine. But, it's also another argument. Maybe he's asking for #1 money and the cubs scouts view him as a #2 or #3. We don't know.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yes I can. Because everybody slumps.

I assumed you were talking about prospect regression. In other words, the guy who comes up in August plays well and then tanks for his first full season up in the majors because the league adjusts to him but not vice versa. My point was not all prospects go through that. Some get to the majors and play well right away. Of course every player will slump at some point but there's nothing that says he will slump next year for sure.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think the recent Garza charade is damn good evidence he was a clubhouse cancer and wasn't in the Cubs future for that reason. Bad guy to have around a young clubhouse. And we stole many great prospects for him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I mean you're not wrong. I'm just saying they would be replacing these parts in the coming years. Soriano may have made the cubs better in 2014 but 2015+ he does nothing for them. So, the question becomes does Lake playing full time in 2014 make the cubs better in 2015+. I would argue yes. One of two things happens. Either he sucks and they realize he's not a future building block or he gets the experience he needs to become a full time starter. And they did save something like $6 mil which doesn't seem like a lot but it's not nothing either.

As for Garza, I mean really what is there to say? They decided they weren't going to extend him. At that point they aren't making the playoffs this year and he's a FA. Of course you trade him because if you don't you get nothing. If you disagree with them not signing him long term that's fine. But, it's also another argument. Maybe he's asking for #1 money and the cubs scouts view him as a #2 or #3. We don't know.

As for Garza extending, I really could care less at this point. In fact, I was in the minority and would have shipped off Samardzija too if the right package were involved like to Arizona. Until the FO starts adding to the roster at the parent level, they can send all of them packing including Rizzo and Castro.

I am not bitter about it, but I don't want to hold onto guys just because some say that certain players are core players. Voglebach or Bryant might be a better first basemen than Rizzo, and most know how I feel about Castro.

I would extend Wood because he is cheap and a lefty, and the rest I would ship off to bolster the farm. Blow the whole thing up and get as many young talented players that you can, especially in the pitching department.

This dicking around to be somewhere in the .500 record range at best is growing tiresome, and not adding players to be better than that is getting even more tiresome.

Shit or get off the pot. :popcorn:

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Cubs are 24th in MLB in payroll. They are capable of being top 3 behind only the Dodgers or Yankees.

They are spending less than $7 million on their OF completely. That is why they don't score runs, because they don't pay players capable of producing runs. The Rays spend more on their MLB OF. That's ridiculous. For comparison the only teams spending less are the Marlins, Astros, and Pirates. However they have MVP candidate Andrew McCutchen, the Cubs don't. That's not the type of company I like to see the Cubs in. I like the fact that they have built a nice foundation of prospects, now let's compete instead of waiting around to play the lottery seeing if they develop.

It would have been awesome had we landed Greinke last year. Could have held onto Garza and extended Samardzija. Problem is we didn't want to pay those 3 for 2 seasons while guys like Baez, Soler, and Almora came up through the farm. Greinke/Garza/Samardzija/Wood/Jackson sounds like a WS caliber rotation to me. The Garza deal doesn't seem to look very good with Olt taking a nose dive. Hopefully he clears his mind in the offseason and comes back stronger.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Cubs are 24th in MLB in payroll. They are capable of being top 3 behind only the Dodgers or Yankees.

They are spending less than $7 million on their OF completely. That is why they don't score runs, because they don't pay players capable of producing runs. The Rays spend more on their MLB OF. That's ridiculous. For comparison the only teams spending less are the Marlins, Astros, and Pirates. However they have MVP candidate Andrew McCutchen, the Cubs don't. That's not the type of company I like to see the Cubs in. I like the fact that they have built a nice foundation of prospects, now let's compete instead of waiting around to play the lottery seeing if they develop.

It would have been awesome had we landed Greinke last year. Could have held onto Garza and extended Samardzija. Problem is we didn't want to pay those 3 for 2 seasons while guys like Baez, Soler, and Almora came up through the farm. Greinke/Garza/Samardzija/Wood/Jackson sounds like a WS caliber rotation to me. The Garza deal doesn't seem to look very good with Olt taking a nose dive. Hopefully he clears his mind in the offseason and comes back stronger.

Sure it would be nice to add players, but until they do, it's the same old story.

I surely hope that they are not waiting for the youth to make it all the way up the ladder before adding major pieces. That would be ignorance at it's finest because they are not all going to go at the same pace.

Sustained success is having players at every level pushing the people above them, especially on the parent club. If we wait for most of the youth to get to Chicago and see if they can make it before Rickett's starts spending, we're screwed.

That is the way small market teams work.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the recent Garza charade is damn good evidence he was a clubhouse cancer and wasn't in the Cubs future for that reason. Bad guy to have around a young clubhouse. And we stole many great prospects for him.

:facepalm:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Again, they are right back where they started this year at best case scenario.

Actually they are worse.

They still have to replace Soriano and Garza to get back to where they started the season.

3-7 since trading Soriano and the schedule is not easy the rest of the season with 8 of the remaining 14 series against CIN, STL, PIT, ATL and LAD. The 5 likely NL playoff teams.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Were you drunk when you thought of this?

How many 'clubhouse cancerous charades' did he have here in Chicago? As I recall, everybody loved him because he was the joker who kept things loose in the clubhouse.

The cubs 'win' on this deal if CJ Edwards, pretty much the only guy I think has a chance to be legit; becomes legit. Grimm can turn it around, sure--but he surely doesnt scream top of the rotation to anyone. Olt.....I think we got damaged goods and a AAAA player at best. It really says something when one year you're 'untouchable' then the next you're shipped off for a #2 rotation pitcher. Should he have sat this year out with his concussion/eye problems? I dont know.

I know Justin Morneau had to sit out with his post concussion syndrome for a year plus; does Olt have something similar? I've had a concussion (three actually,) they're definitely not fun, and blurred vision can be a symptom.

I'm no doctor, just asking--people say Olt has vision issues; could the two be linked? If so take a seat big boy, it'll suck from the sidelines but concussions are not fun.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Olt needs to make some mechanical improvements, but coming back from a concussion can be tricky. He may need an off-season and a reboot at Spring Training to get it all back together. I would definitely agree the piece that came over in the trade with the best chance of being at being "legit" is Edwards.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes I can. Because everybody slumps. Even the best in baseball, even last year's triple crown winner. Pitching adjusts to every player, even the greats; they're inevitable. Some last longer than others, some are 20 ABs, some are 40. Rizzo is a poster child for them, although I like the signs he's shown. He's balancing his weekly abs since the beginning of the year. No longer one 4 hit game followed by 5 straight days of 0-fers with a handful of walks to keep that OBP up in the span of the few weeks I've seen him.

Lake will slump, he will be par for course, ice cold, red hot. It happens to players. To think it wont and he will hold steady for a whole year at what you projected is ideal to think, but unlikely to happen.

Cubs wanted pitching, they got a #3 pitcher at market price. I'm ok with it, because it's shown they're capable of opening up the checkbook. And he hasnt sucked this year the way people think he has, he's been hot lately. WHIP is down from career average, and hes no longer dooming himself in the 4th inning. Jackson is exactly what he's supposed to be; an innings eater who has par for course days, good and bad. Signing players sells tickets. Had they gone with Chris Rusin or Brooks Raley the whole year, yes, it would make a difference in ticket sales.

Dont sign players to make fans happy? Well--its not first priority; as signing players to help the team is first priority. But to think any free agents wont put butts in seats is dumb. If were talking a miniscule signing of a vet minimum reliever--no. But a pitcher, a hitter. Someone who you'll see alot of in a line up.

Of course, winning always puts butts in seats. I'm down with that.
Agree with everything that has been said here especially the part about Edwin Jackson. Ejax has seemingly stabilized back into what he has been for a long stretch of his career, an inconsistent league average innings eater.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
August 7, 2013 6:33 pm
Scott Baker rained out of rehab start for third time.
by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

Cubs pitcher Scott Baker had the beginning of his rehab assignment rained out for the third time Wednesday. He will throw a side session Wednesday before going out on an official rehab assignment next week, Comcast SportsNet Chicago reports.

Baker hopes to be back with the Cubs by September as he continues to rehab from Tommy John surgery.

*Let's hope Baker is able to replace Garza's production for what might be one or two starts this year. At 2.75 million per start (if he pitches twice) @ 33 starts per season would put him right over 90 million.
This may have been the splurge I was overlooking the Cubs to make.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:August 14, 2013 9:32 pm
Scott Baker nearing rehab assignment

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

Cubs pitcher Scott Baker has yet to be scheduled for the beginning of a rehab assignment with Class A Daytona. Baker is scheduled to throw one more bullpen session before restarting the rehab assignment, which had to be ended prematurely due to three consecutive rainouts.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap: