Very Telling interview - Team has turned on "Franchise" (Again)

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
We all know that in 2014, Trestman was dealing with a divided locker room. The large majority of the team had approached Trestman and wanted Cutler benched. Some of the team backed their QB.

After a few more losses, and weeks of dealing with increasingly disgruntled players, and a locker room that was almost completely in disarray, Trestman finally benched Cutler. The team, with the exception of a few players, rallied behind Clausen.

Clausen delivered, playing better against the Lions than Cutler had done just 2 weeks before. At one point, Clausen took a dirty hit from Suh, and stood up to him and got in his face. Not only did the players love this, the fans went crazy.

Back to Hicks. He was on Mulley and Hanley this AM.

Mulley opened the interview by talking about how the defense held a potent Lions offense to zero TD's and only 2 FG's (one being a +50 yarder).

Hicks immediate and very poignant direct response was along the lines of "Having Hoyer at QB on the other side of the ball was as big of a key.

Mulley was caught off guard and went back to the defense, but the point was made. The defense has (likely) decided who they want at QB. And given the success of players like Royal, White and Miller, not to mention Howard, it would not surprise me if the offense is already there as well.

Given that Fox and the team have leaked that there is no guarantee Cutler will start when he's healthy, I think the writing is clearly on the wall.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wrote this up in my game notes, but perhaps this team is built for someone to manage the offense and to protect the defense.

Whether it is a more conservative game plan, more efficient play from Hoyer, I wonder if this is how this team is built to function right now. The defense is not good enough to consistently respond to 3 and outs and turnovers.

But give them some rest and some first downs, don't put them on a short field and they can function.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
So you guys believe you win in this day and age with game managers.

Ok.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why didn't Kyle Orton start over tony romo?

Tony Romo is one of the highest rated passers in NFL history.

So far today you've compared Cutler's situation to Tom Brady and Tony Romo. I think the disconnect here is that you're beyond delusional about Jay Cutler. You seem to think he's some high level QB on par with the better QBs in the game. I have no idea what kind of warped, sicko man love is required to confuse a hopeless loser like Cutler, who is routinely outplayed by career journeyman backups, with players like that, but it's kinda freaky.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Tony Romo is one of the highest rated passers in NFL history.

So far today you've compared Cutler's situation to Tom Brady and Tony Romo. I think the disconnect here is that you're beyond delusional about Jay Cutler. You seem to think he's some high level QB on par with the better QBs in the game. I have no idea what kind of warped, sicko man love is required to confuse a hopeless loser like Cutler, who is routinely outplayed by career journeyman backups, with players like that, but it's kinda freaky.
I say when a backup plays well as a game manager the vocal minority like yourself jump up and screaming these guys(Hoyer like) you can win with!

Bears scored 17 pts against the horrific lions, and won by 3 points. Just stop. Cutler will be back in starting with healthy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The defense is tired of being put behind the 8 ball via turnovers.

And 3 & outs. The defense was constantly gassed with Cutler playing because the offense can't stay on the field. Hoyer could at least complete short-to-mid range passes and get the chains moving on third down, win the time of possession and help the defense stay fresh. The result of that fresh defense was holding a team who were something like the 5th ranked offense to two field goals.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I say when a backup plays well as a game manager the vocal minority like yourself jump up and screaming these guys(Hoyer like) you can win with!

Bears scored 17 pts against the horrific lions, and won by 3 points. Just stop. Cutler will be back in starting with healthy.

And I'm positive a small little part of your mostly non-functioning brain already knows that Cutler is healthy... And yet he didn't play.

Monster O

Liked Posts:
So you guys believe you win in this day and age with game managers.

Ok.

You win with the total package. If Hoyer is unable to attack 20 yards plus down the field, defenses will start taking away the underneath routes. Hoyer is very efficient and accurate with the short game. Loggains will need to mix in more misdirection; boots, roll outs for him to have success.

Gase was successful at getting Cutler to take what the defense was giving him. The problem is with Cutler there is a small margin for error. He doesn't get the ball out quickly and has a difficult time seeing what the defense is doing pre-snap.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
You win with the total package. If Hoyer is unable to attack 20 yards plus down the field, defenses will start taking away the underneath routes. Hoyer is very efficient and accurate with the short game. Loggains will need to mix in more misdirection, boots, roll ours for him to have success.

Gase was successful at getting Cutler to take what the defense was giving him. The problem is with Cutler there is a small margin for error. He doesn't get the ball out quickly and has a difficult time seeing what the defense is doing pre-snap.

How many yards in the air was that Royal pass where he got ~ 65 yard?

I'd guess over 25. hit him in full stride, crossing pattern right on the numbers...

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Desp...just stop man. Be happy the Bears won. I'm starting to wonder if you are a Bears fan or just a Cutty fan. Starting to remind me of that Orton fan we had back in the day who became a Broncos fan after trading Orton away.