Wasnt Emery demoted?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
People make a very good point that Phil makes a lot of head scratching picks, I concur. But what i also remember.. wasn't Emery demoted in KC?? I don't remember what he did title wise.so maybe someone can fill me in?

I also rember Piloi saying Phil is still great etc etc. But ya don't demote someone for no good reason.... hmmm

Liked Posts:
Does it matter? I'm happy with most of the moves he has made, but there's some questionable. I like this draft a lot better than last, but I still think he's erred than Angelo.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People make a very good point that Phil makes a lot of head scratching picks, I concur. But what i also remember.. wasn't Emery demoted in KC?? I don't remember what he did title wise.so maybe someone can fill me in?

I also rember Piloi saying Phil is still great etc etc. But ya don't demote someone for no good reason.... hmmm

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/01/thomas_dimitroff_impressed_at_.html

When he was named general manager of the Atlanta Falcons, Thomas Dimitroff made some changes to the scouting department.

One of them was bringing in David Caldwell to serve as the college scouting director. That meant Phil Emery, who had been in that position, would need to be fired or re-assigned. Dimitroff demoted Emery to a regional scout for the 2008 season, and he was impressed at how the veteran scout handled it.

"He didn't rock the boat," Dimitroff told me Wednesday.

How impressed was Dimitroff?

When close friend Scott Pioli -- whom he'd worked with several years in New England -- took over the Kansas City Chiefs, Dimitroff recommended Emery.

As you saw the other day, Pioli has become a huge fan of Emery's in their three years together in Kansas City.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
We'll see how he handles the cutler situation..

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to understand Emery is a hard line sabermetrics junkie blended with Al Davis.

He is fixated on minutia and struggles with taking all those gazzillion pieces into a big picture master plan. He has a plan. He has specific things he is looking for. I think he will do well, and he could be better. Maybe he will learn or put someone near his right hand who he trusts.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have to understand Emery is a hard line sabermetrics junkie blended with Al Davis.

He is fixated on minutia and struggles with taking all those gazzillion pieces into a big picture master plan. He has a plan. He has specific things he is looking for. I think he will do well, and he could be better. Maybe he will learn or put someone near his right hand who he trusts.

The McClellin pick is still really odd to me for Emery. He's a huge guy on players with big upside who test really well athletically. McCllellin didn't even test better than your 6th round pick this year in the combine drills and I don't think anyone I've read saw that McClellin had a really big upside. He didn't dominate a bad conference in college is kind of undersized for the scheme and didn't test off the charts athletically.

I think Long is a much more philosophically Emery pick. Shea was and still is just odd.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
A lot of head scratching picks? People say Shea is undersized despite the fact that he is as big as Alex Brown was, and has room to add more weight. People dont like Long's lack of experience, but he has some good coaches around him that are good at building a solid playbook based on a good scheme.

the rest of his picks for us have been great, he has found good value after the first round.

bearsheisse

Liked Posts:
Am I the only person who thinks Shea's rookie production was fine and ultimately promising. Its kind of hard for a rookie to stand out on a defense that was lighting the league up. Isn't it a good thing that our first round pick complimented a dominant d-line rotation?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A lot of head scratching picks? People say Shea is undersized despite the fact that he is as big as Alex Brown was, and has room to add more weight. People dont like Long's lack of experience, but he has some good coaches around him that are good at building a solid playbook based on a good scheme.

the rest of his picks for us have been great, he has found good value after the first round.
Alex Brown was a 3rd or 4th round pick for a defense that wasn't a Cover 2. For a 1st round Cover 2 rush end Shea is undersized.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The "undersized" argument against Shea is getting kind of tired. Pretty much every premier pass rusher in a 4-3 is/has been roughly his size. Freeney when he was still a stud? Strahan? Jared Allen? Etc? Guys like Pep, JPP, Mario, and such are massive (pun intended) flukes. The majority of Tampa-2 type defenses have always had giant LB sized guys at DE.

That all being said, I'm not convinced of Emery's "superior player evaluation" when looking at some of his picks. But nor have any of us had enough time to evaluate the potential of any of his picks. So, bitching about Emery is a tad premature.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The "undersized" argument against Shea is getting kind of tired. Pretty much every premier pass rusher in a 4-3 is/has been roughly his size. Freeney when he was still a stud? Strahan? Jared Allen? Etc? Guys like Pep, JPP, Mario, and such are massive (pun intended) flukes. The majority of Tampa-2 type defenses have always had giant LB sized guys at DE.
Yeah but the difference there is those guys generally tested off the charts athletically or had crazy big upside potential. Shea didn't test that highly. I agree if you don't have one or the other it can somewhat balance out but Shea seems to have neither in relation to the guys you mentioned above.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone is in a rush to evaluate how well Emery drafts. But its just not possible to get an accurate picture of his nose for future players until a few more years go by. So while its entertaining to mull over the question in the meantime, its all pretty meaningless until there is a large enough sample size with a fully developed data set.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but the difference there is those guys generally tested off the charts athletically or had crazy big upside potential. Shea didn't test that highly. I agree if you don't have one or the other it can somewhat balance out but Shea seems to have neither in relation to the guys you mentioned above.

Idk, I think Shea is right up there with measurable and his size is fine. It seems like what he is most missing is a full compliment of moves. Last season, it looked pretty obvious to me that Marenelli was trying to strip his technique down and build it back up. I really thought Marenelli had him just focusing on one primary move over the course of the season.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
McCllellin didn't even test better than your 6th round pick this year in the combine drills .
Who has tested better then him? What Washington did was beyond Freakish. Bad comparison in that aspect.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Please elaborate: Alshon has shown flashes, but is pretty dinged up and who knows how many games he will actually play this year. As for the other picks from the first draft, that overall production was absolutely unacceptable.

I like the prospects of this year's draft far better, but Emery hasn't done ANYTHING yet in the draft to warrant praise. We need serious production from this latest crop.

Long - who knows? At least he looks like a football player and one that belongs on the OL. Shea doesn't even look like a good prospect from a physical perspective.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
Am I the only person who thinks Shea's rookie production was fine and ultimately promising. Its kind of hard for a rookie to stand out on a defense that was lighting the league up. Isn't it a good thing that our first round pick complimented a dominant d-line rotation?

No your not the only person. I agree with you completely. He did a fine job his rookie year and will keep on developing.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Plenty of guys had "off the charts" measurables or "crazy big upside" and ended up busting. My only points were: A) The size "issue" is complete horseshit (especially since Shea will be playing around 270+ this season); and B) It's too early to truly evaluate Emery's drafts. I'm not claiming Shea will be a monster on the rush or anything, just that the weight argument is patently false.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

That all being said, I'm not convinced of Emery's "superior player evaluation" when looking at some of his picks. But nor have any of us had enough time to evaluate the potential of any of his picks. So, bitching about Emery is a tad premature.

Bitching about Emery is indeed premature, as is praising him. First year production from the draft was horrible, this crop better see the field and produce.

As for Shea, he may have similar height and weight to some of the premier pass rushers, but those other guys look far more ripped-up and athletic than he does.