Wasnt Emery demoted?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe Shea himself said he will continue to work on gaining Muscle throughout the summer.
Don't see him playing at 270 but 260-265 isn't a stretch.

But you'll likely lose a bit weight during the season a bit. So he won't hold that top end weight permanently.

Either way....I doubt it's going to be near 270 at the top end. It might be listed at 270..but he was listed at 260 last year and just pu ton 5-7 pounds and isn't even to that yet...so.....

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
BTW, Shea won't be playing at 270 this year.

From the Tribune last month:
'McClellin said he has added 5 to 7 pounds and is about 258, meaning he was playing below his listed weight of 260 last season."

That's a little disappointing. He still has a long time to add some bulk. Can't say know for sure how added bulk would effect him. Give or take 5-10 pounds, technique is always king.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
But you'll likely lose a bit weight during the season a bit. So he won't hold that top end weight permanently.

Either way....I doubt it's going to be near 270 at the top end. It might be listed at 270..but he was listed at 260 last year and just pu ton 5-7 pounds and isn't even to that yet...so.....
I don't disagree However, I think there is a bit of a misconception floating around. Shea wasn't trying to bulk up this winter. He was trying to add some muscle while dropping body fat. You won't see dramatic results on the scale by doing this. I've done it before in the past.
One you make that initial transformation (like the one he made this winter) it's easier to Add weight as you see fit.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Emery was demoted so hard that they made him bring his fuckin' shinebox to work with him.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think shea will be a bit better this year. the kids only 23, so he has plenty of room to grow and bulk up. he played pretty well at boise. as for the size thing, well that really don't hold water. there has been many guys that were labled undersized and had hall of fame careers. ray lewis, sam mills, n many more. i think with a healthy peppers on the otherside, shea will excel. keep in mind peppers had an injured foot most of the season. it is kinda tough to scrutinize emery for picking shea last year. we still had lovie and marinelli. marinelli was in luv with the shea pick, n he knows defensive linemen better then any of us. he obviously saw the upside in shea. most players have the rookie butterflies, so i'm sure and i hope we will see more from shea this year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Basically the scouting reports are saying he is a tweener. Too big for OLB which is why the first report suggests he loses weight so that he could play OLB in a 3-4 and the second says he lacks a natural position because he is too small for DE.

There are obviously DEs that can play in any 4-3 system like Peppers but a pure Tampa 2 DE with 4.6 speed is going to be a tweener. That is why the Tampa 2 teams like to take them. They are usually too big and lack the coverage skills to play 3-4 OLB and this 3-4 teams don't like to take them and are too small to play in a two gap 4-3 system so non-Tampa 2 4-3 teams don't like to take them. The only thing Shea had over the normal Tampa 2 DE that is a tweener is he had some coverage responsibilities and was not totally lost in coverage.

However, if you read the scouting report of just about any DE that was strictly a Tampa 2 DE, they would like have questions about their size for DE and lacking coverage skills and being too big for OLB in a 3-4

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically the scouting reports are saying he is a tweener. Too big for OLB which is why the first report suggests he loses weight so that he could play OLB in a 3-4 and the second says he lacks a natural position because he is too small for DE.

There are obviously DEs that can play in any 4-3 system like Peppers but a pure Tampa 2 DE with 4.6 speed is going to be a tweener. That is why the Tampa 2 teams like to take them. They are usually too big and lack the coverage skills to play 3-4 OLB and this 3-4 teams don't like to take them and are too small to play in a two gap 4-3 system so non-Tampa 2 4-3 teams don't like to take them. The only thing Shea had over the normal Tampa 2 DE that is a tweener is he had some coverage responsibilities and was not totally lost in coverage.

However, if you read the scouting report of just about any DE that was strictly a Tampa 2 DE, they would like have questions about their size for DE and lacking coverage skills and being too big for OLB in a 3-4

didn't they say last year, shea's agent told him to lose wieght cause the packers were looking at him to be a LB? supposedly they were gonna grab him in the 1st aswell. we just beat them to it, lol.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
How fucking baked are you?

In the paragraph talking about his "strengths" they say he is underweight. Holy shit.

I get that you want to defend every shit house pick made by your team but for god sakes.
your teams made some shit house picks in their day. why dont u worry about your garbage defence and we will worry about our great d

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
didn't they say last year, shea's agent told him to lose wieght cause the packers were looking at him to be a LB? supposedly they were gonna grab him in the 1st aswell. we just beat them to it, lol.

Yeah but the the only reason 3-4 teams were looking at him is because he actually played coverage at Boise State and didn't look totally lost at it. It is one of the reasons Nick Perry has not exactly lit it up in GB. He is more of the classic Tampa 2 DE but he is stuck in a 3-4 where until he gets better he looks like a complete liability in pass coverage and he is used to playing with his hand down rushing the passer as opposed to playing off the line.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's also a 3-4 rush OLB in a different defense,..but yeah..no difference there.

No, I said for Shea's size as a DE he isn't overly athletic when you start throwing out names like Freeny, or JPP, Mario Williams(who is now 290lb and a freak of nature). And I don't feel Shea was overly productive at Boise, they moved him around a lot which coul dbe part of it but he doesn't jump off the page.

Honest question: Are you high or just this dumb?

After saying he wasn't overly athletic as a DE, you quoted an article praising his athletic ability and saying he needed to lose weight in order to be a 3-4 OLB. I said that guys like JPP and Mario were freaks because of how large they are, while guys of Freeny's size are more the norm in this D (reading comprehension is your friend).

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Maybe because Emery's picks have played a total of 1 rookie season since he came the Bears?

You may want to review just how many 1st year impact players come out of a given draft, because you seem to thing that its no problem to pick them up.

I'm not looking for impact necessarily, more like production. Our 1st round pick totaled 13 tackles for the season. That blows. It's bad enough that his production was abysmal, but the larger concern is that I don't see much if any upside in Shea's game.

Our 3rd round pick was a huge gamble, and with all the holes we have to fill I would have liked a safer pick - as in, a player that doesn;t have a medical redshirt.

I think anyone that claims he is happy we picked Shea at #20 is either intellectually dishonest or a garden-variety homer.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am neither happy or unhappy with Shea because I haven't seen enough of him to conclude one way or the other. With Pep, Idonije and Wooten he had the luxury of not being a stud out the gate but this year he needs to deliver.

Jake

Liked Posts:
I didn't realize until now how shea's numbers compared with the other drafted DEs.

Round one:
TACK-SOLO-FF-INT-SACK
15. Bruce Irvin
16-10-1-0-8.0

16. Quinton Coples
30-22-0-0-5.5

19. Shea McClellin
14-7-0-0-2.5

21. Chandler Jones
45-24-3-0-6.0

26. Whitney Mercilus
25-20-2-0-6.0

Round Two:
38. Andre Branch
12-9-1-0-1.0

59. Vinny Curry
9-8-0-0-0.0

Round Three:
72. Olivier Vernon
32-25-2-0-3.5

81. Tyrone Crawford
20-16-0-0-0.0

90. Jake Bequette
none

Round Four:
103. Frank Alexander
18-10-0-0-2.5

126. Jared Crick
22-13-0-0-0.0

Shea's numbers don't hold well against some of the other DE's drafted near him.

But he has heart, and a very high motor, so I see him having a much better year with more playing time.