Wasnt Emery demoted?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please elaborate: Alshon has shown flashes, but is pretty dinged up and who knows how many games he will actually play this year. As for the other picks from the first draft, that overall production was absolutely unacceptable.

I like the prospects of this year's draft far better, but Emery hasn't done ANYTHING yet in the draft to warrant praise. We need serious production from this latest crop.

Long - who knows? At least he looks like a football player and one that belongs on the OL. Shea doesn't even look like a good prospect from a physical perspective.

Maybe because Emery's picks have played a total of 1 rookie season since he came the Bears?

You may want to review just how many 1st year impact players come out of a given draft, because you seem to thing that its no problem to pick them up.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Idk, I think Shea is right up there with measurable and his size is fine. It seems like what he is most missing is a full compliment of moves. Last season, it looked pretty obvious to me that Marenelli was trying to strip his technique down and build it back up. I really thought Marenelli had him just focusing on one primary move over the course of the season.

I don't think Shea sucks. What I'm saying is that he's not your typical "athletically metric" pick that people kind of figure Emery would take, especially in the 1st round. He doesn't wow you with size or drill numbers, he wasn't overly productive in college in a small conference, etc. (There were questions about him fitting in a 4-3 system(most people had him going to a system that runs a 3-4). He's just this weird outlier for Emery in terms of the way he is viewed and based on a lot of his comments in how he evaluates players for the draft

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Shea's gonna beast this year, haters.

Also DonDraper= Sayyid Qutb

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bitching about Emery is indeed premature, as is praising him. First year production from the draft was horrible, this crop better see the field and produce.

As for Shea, he may have similar height and weight to some of the premier pass rushers, but those other guys look far more ripped-up and athletic than he does.

I don't think its premature to praise his offseason management though. Imo, its been top notch but next offseason will provide a big test.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dom Draper was a stupid screen name anyway.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you guys want to see a complete shit-show of a draft (as far as first year production), look at what the 9ers did last year.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to understand Emery is a hard line sabermetrics junkie blended with Al Davis.

He is fixated on minutia and struggles with taking all those gazzillion pieces into a big picture master plan. He has a plan. He has specific things he is looking for. I think he will do well, and he could be better. Maybe he will learn or put someone near his right hand who he trusts.
Emery is nothing like Al Davis. For starters, he looks nothing like Count Chocula.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Did the Bears have another 6th round pick I missed?
The point is, regardless of round taken, Washington tested better than all. Saying Shea didn't 'even' test better then him is like saying Shea isn't Superman.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The point is, regardless of round taken, Washington tested better than all. Saying Shea didn't 'even' test better then him is like saying Shea isn't Superman.

How aren't you getting this?

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
The Shea pick was weird but lets see how Shea does in years 2 and 3. If he can become a 8-12 sack guy the pick is worth it.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Plenty of guys had "off the charts" measurables or "crazy big upside" and ended up busting.
Ok. And plenty haven't.
?????
My only points were: A) The size "issue" is complete horseshit (especially since Shea will be playing around 270+ this season)
Except it's not..and I explained why.
B) It's too early to truly evaluate Emery's drafts.
Alright.

?
I'm not claiming Shea will be a monster on the rush or anything, just that the weight argument is patently false.
Except it's not "false" that when he was drafted Shea was undersized..and he still is a bit for a guy with his limited athletic skill set playing 4-3 end in a Cover 2 as a1st round pick.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Shea sucks. What I'm saying is that he's not your typical "athletically metric" pick that people kind of figure Emery would take, especially in the 1st round. He doesn't wow you with size or drill numbers, he wasn't overly productive in college in a small conference, etc. (There were questions about him fitting in a 4-3 system(most people had him going to a system that runs a 3-4). He's just this weird outlier for Emery in terms of the way he is viewed and based on a lot of his comments in how he evaluates players for the draft

Yeah, that makes sense. From the little we have seen, it does seem like an unusual pick for Emery. But I don't believe for one second that Emery is a guy to make knee jerk decision in the draft room... So, they must have done their homework on him and had him targeted for a long time. It will definitely be interesting to watch Shae's career unfold.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ok. And plenty haven't.
?????

Except it's not..and I explained why.

Alright.

?

Except it's not "false" that when he was drafted Shea was undersized..and he still is a bit for a guy with his limited athletic skill set playing 4-3 end in a Cover 2 as a1st round pick.

If you can find a 4-3 team with DEs that average over the 270 something that Shea is going to play at this year I'd be amazed. Even the 260 that he was drafted at wasn't particularly small if you'd actually bothered to look. If you want to talk about measurables for a guy his size; his 40 was on par, or well under, every LB drafted the last two years. Again, I'm not saying he'll ever be an impact player, just that the knocks on his size/athleticism are unfounded.

dawags

Liked Posts:
Combine statistics don't factor in Heart, Motor, or Character

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you can find a 4-3 team with DEs that average over the 270 something that Shea is going to play at this year I'd be amazed. Even the 260 that he was drafted at wasn't particularly small if you'd actually bothered to look. If you want to talk about measurables for a guy his size; his 40 was on par, or well under, every LB drafted the last two years. Again, I'm not saying he'll ever be an impact player, just that the knocks on his size/athleticism are unfounded.
Scouting reports:

Weaknesses
McClellin will have a tough time convincing teams, even though he has been productive, to take a shot on him early in the draft because of his size. He has displayed enough athletic ability for teams to consider him at outside backer, but size is his only true, glaring fault and he could absolutely stand to lose weight as he enters the next level. He can get smothered by double teams and moved aside by more powerful linemen with NFL talent.

Weaknesses: Not a quick-twitch player and lacks natural explosion -- not an elite athlete. Has only average functional size and strength, lacking the natural power and length to overwhelm blockers at the next level. Too energetic at times and often over pursues his target -- can be overaggressive and take himself out of the play. Lacks a natural position for the next level and won't be at his best if he's locked into one spot.

Yeah, my bad. Totally unwarranted.