Watson ain't getting traded.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
People that say "move on" or "Never going to happen", who cares? Where has reality gotten us with this team? Coaches are jumping ship because they know its sinking. For two years i've been telling everyone that this regime isn't it and we're quickly seeing that George and Ted don't care as long as the money is pouring in.

There is no longer escapism with the Chicago Bears, there's only us hoping they somehow luck their way into a organization changing QB or trade everything for one.

Fuck this. Watson to Chicago. All in.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
People that say "move on" or "Never going to happen", who cares? Where has reality gotten us with this team? Coaches are jumping ship because they know its sinking. For two years i've been telling everyone that this regime isn't it and we're quickly seeing that George and Ted don't care as long as the money is pouring in.

There is no longer escapism with the Chicago Bears, there's only us hoping they somehow luck their way into a organization changing QB or trade everything for one.

Fuck this. Watson to Chicago. All in.

So you're openly advocating living in fantasy land? Eeek....

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Don't doubt that watson DOESN'T get traded, but the texans legit have very little leverage now if he wants to leave.
I mean, they are basically saying THEY have no desire to trade him. That has nothing to do with what watson wants.

Watson holds all the cards if he is willing to sit out the year and holdout. They will trade him 100% in that scenario.
Except this isn't a franchise tag Le'Veon Bell scanario, Watson is under contract for 5 more years. He has limited leverage. He, literally needs Houston's permission to play another down in the NFL. Houston is likely posturing for picks, but in the end they hold all the aces. Any trade is going to cost Houston $21M in dead money, so they are going to want a kings ransom.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whether Watson is traded or not is entirely up to Watson IMO. He either buys in or he doesn't. If he doesn't it is too detrimental to a franchise to keep a QB that doesn't want to be there. There is a reason why when Elway, Eli, and Cutler wanted out, they eventually got out. A QB impacts the whole team and you can't have a QB not sold on the team as a leader as it will permeate the locker room.

Further, Watson doesn't have to sit. What are the Texans going to if Watson starts kneeling every Sunday? What are they going to do if he decides it is not worth it to scramble for yards to keep plays alive with his feet. Or if he decides to just throw it away instead of sitting there and taking a hit to deliver the ball. The problem the Texans have is Watson is not playing for a contract so he gets paid no matter what. And his contract is long enough that if he starts doing stuff like this he will get traded for less and still have time to rebuild his value before his next contract.

There simply is no precedent for a QB wanting out with this much guaranteed money left on his deal. The Texans can say whatever they want but in the end they will need Watson to buy in or face the prospect of having to trade him when his value is less because he undermined the franchise. The biggest issue is not if he sits out. The biggest issue is if he plays while having a Randy Moss with the Raiders attitude. If a QB does that, it kills the entire team.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’ve heard those ducks fart in the water before
Has there ever been a player that asked to be traded, was not and spent the remainder of his career with the same team in the NFL.

Has there ever been a 25 year old legit franchise QB under contract for multiple years that was traded?

Sure, never say never. But the smart move by Houston is to kiss Watsons's ass like ass has never been kissed in the history of mankind and try to get him back on board.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Gotta love posters that look so smart and bold by saying Watson wont get traded.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Whether Watson is traded or not is entirely up to Watson IMO. He either buys in or he doesn't. If he doesn't it is too detrimental to a franchise to keep a QB that doesn't want to be there. There is a reason why when Elway, Eli, and Cutler wanted out, they eventually got out. A QB impacts the whole team and you can't have a QB not sold on the team as a leader as it will permeate the locker room.

Further, Watson doesn't have to sit. What are the Texans going to if Watson starts kneeling every Sunday? What are they going to do if he decides it is not worth it to scramble for yards to keep plays alive with his feet. Or if he decides to just throw it away instead of sitting there and taking a hit to deliver the ball. The problem the Texans have is Watson is not playing for a contract so he gets paid no matter what. And his contract is long enough that if he starts doing stuff like this he will get traded for less and still have time to rebuild his value before his next contract.

There simply is no precedent for a QB wanting out with this much guaranteed money left on his deal. The Texans can say whatever they want but in the end they will need Watson to buy in or face the prospect of having to trade him when his value is less because he undermined the franchise. The biggest issue is not if he sits out. The biggest issue is if he plays while having a Randy Moss with the Raiders attitude. If a QB does that, it kills the entire team.

You're implying Watson would give less than 100% for his teammates. When has he EVER given you the impression he would do that? He is the last guy I'd expect to do that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Except Watson isn't wired like Moss. He isn't going to give less than 100%. He may not be happy, but he isn't a go through the motions type of person.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Has there ever been a 25 year old legit franchise QB under contract for multiple years that was traded?

Sure, never say never. But the smart move by Houston is to kiss Watsons's ass like ass has never been kissed in the history of mankind and try to get him back on board.

But the problem is they already failed at that. They hired a GM no one but Esterby wanted after promising that Esterby would be involved and they hired a HC that no one wanted except the new GM.

If this is about power and influence over a team then really not a lot they can do to kiss his ass at this point.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You're implying Watson would give less than 100% for his teammates. When has he EVER given you the impression he would do that? He is the last guy I'd expect to do that.
Yep, beat me to it. Watson tanking on his team is just a non sequitur.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Has there ever been a 25 year old legit franchise QB under contract for multiple years that asked to be traded?

That is the damn question.

How does one walk back asking to be traded? It’s unprecedented but it happened.

The ball is in Watsons court but the team said what they had to say....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Except Watson isn't wired like Moss. He isn't going to give less than 100%. He may not be happy, but he isn't a go through the motions type of person.

No I am not saying he would. I am saying if he did then it destroys his trade value. I agree Watson doesn't seem like a player that would do that but then Watson didn't seem like a guy that would want out of Houston in the first place either. He is already giving less than 100% because he is basically telling his teammates he doesn't want to play with them anymore despite just signing an extension. Anyone saying they expected something like this from Watson is lying.

We don't know how triggered he is and we don't know how his teammates feel about it. If they back him on this then this could get really fucking ugly. So no Watson never gave me that impression but we are in uncharted waters as he never gave me the impression he would demand a trade either. There is obviously something fundamentally broken with the relationship right now so all bets are off IMO.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
When he asked to be traded he basically said he doesn’t want to be a teammate anymore.

The was no reason to ask for a trade in the public if he didn’t actually want to be traded

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Has there ever been a 25 year old legit franchise QB under contract for multiple years that asked to be traded?

That is the damn question.

How does one walk back asking to be traded? It’s unprecedented but it happened.

The ball is in Watsons court but the team said what they had to say....

You forgot after just signing an extension. This isn't the case of an impending FA trying to stave off being franchised tagged or angling for a big contract. This is the case of a guy who just got a big contract from a franchise he at one time loved now saying he wants out.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Why would Lovie getting hired change his mind lol? Not like Watson plays defense, or is it bc he’s black? Sounds like utter nonsense.

Anyway, the Texans have to say these things. Best case, they’re right and worst case at least it helps from a PR and bargaining perspective.
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see anything mentioned about Lovie. He wasn't in the league when Watson came in and has been nothing but a failed college coach since. Lovie seems like a good dude, but he is a DC who won't change anything for Watson.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nick Caserio sounds like a guy who's not taking a hint from the hot chick that he's in the fz for good.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except this isn't a franchise tag Le'Veon Bell scanario, Watson is under contract for 5 more years. He has limited leverage. He, literally needs Houston's permission to play another down in the NFL. Houston is likely posturing for picks, but in the end they hold all the aces. Any trade is going to cost Houston $21M in dead money, so they are going to want a kings ransom.

Agreed, but its possible we have another 8-24 months before this goes inevitably sour and they finally do trade him.

They can hold out, but when their QB is disgruntled, their defense was obsolete with a 3 volume book on it 15 years ago, and they are getting embarrassed they will come around.

JJ Watt is too old to save them. Watson can't save them without the guy in Arizona, just getting beat up.

So we have another off-season or two to have Nagy fix it and find a QB before blowing everything up and creating the Watson show without Pace who doesn't deserve him.