We can exile Sammy Sosa without forgiveness yet hire Manny Ramirez as player/coach?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
you haven't explained in anyway how manny was a great fundamental hitter instead of a great talent. please provide documentation on your professional hitting coach experience as well.
I won't be providing you anything of the sort. You haven't demonstrated yourself to be worthy. I asked you to describe what a good swing looks like. Instead of describing the actual swing, you described elements of personal style that allow the player to load/unload with power. It means you don't know jack. You should look for elements of his swing from toe touch to contact and then also explain why waving the bat in his hands before he even lifted his leg was really bad. IOW, you're in over your head.

Edit: YT Video analyzing Manny's swing. The person analyzing this swing is likely Don Slaught. The voice sounds like him. Just so you know...16 years MLB experience. .283 lifetime BA. He is known as a guru in the hitting instruction community and his company sets up a lot of the video systems that allow you to get your hands on MLB swing videos.

[video=youtube;4e7p6nvA6po]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7p6nvA6po[/video]

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Amusing, having a discussion with a teenage soccer fan about the fundamentals of hitting a baseball

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
rod carew, george brett, nomar garciaparra, tony gwynn, wade boggs, paul molitor, craig biggio, edgar martinez, larry walker, todd helton, chipper jones, barry larkin, frank thomas, mike greenwell, michael young, mark grace.

just off the top of my head.

He's a PLAYER-COACH. I highly doubt any of them would come back and do that... MAYBE Helton.

And sure, I can name probably 50+ players all-time I'd love to have coach over Manny. But they are either dead or probably not interested. Seems like Manny wanted to do something like this.

He hasn't even joined the team yet and you're complaining, christ.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don't get how people think hiring a coach in the minors is a small potatoes move. All of the value the Cubs have is in the minors.

It is a big deal. But let the guy at least coach 1 game before we call it a stupid hire.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Manny being lazy was still a better player then 80 percent of the hitters that ever played. Yet again, it's not a big deal but people are stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I won't be providing you anything of the sort. You haven't demonstrated yourself to be worthy. I asked you to describe what a good swing looks like. Instead of describing the actual swing, you described elements of personal style that allow the player to load/unload with power.

i asked you, as a professional hitting instructor, to describe why his swing was fundamentally sound. instead you posted a video of someone else's analysis that anyone could have come up with a 10 second google search to validate your expertise.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Amusing, having a discussion with a teenage soccer fan about the fundamentals of hitting a baseball

i am guessing that you are still the high school manager of the football team because you are too petite and delicate to actually play the game yourself, yet right before the game you are right there on the sideline standing behind the big linemen talking more crap than anyone else.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
i asked you, as a professional hitting instructor, to describe why his swing was fundamentally sound. instead you posted a video of someone else's analysis that anyone could have come up with a 10 second google search to validate your expertise.
LOL. I'm not the least bit interested in engaging someone who doesn't recognize Slaught is an expert.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i am guessing that you are still the high school manager of the football team because you are too petite and delicate to actually play the game yourself, yet right before the game you are right there on the sideline standing behind the big linemen talking more crap than anyone else.

Only kids come up with stuff like that.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
LOL. I'm not the least bit interested in engaging someone who doesn't recognize Slaught is an expert.

i made no comment about the quality of the analysis on the easily found video, just simply stated it wasn't your analysis as was requested.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
i made no comment about the quality of the analysis on the easily found video, just simply stated it wasn't your analysis as was requested.
It's proof that professionals understand Manny had a good swing. That should tell you everything you need to know about your own beliefs about what you see as a mechanically good swing. IOW, you have a poor level of understanding swing mechanics. I am through conversing with you on this topic.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are yall talking bout? Manny Ramirez was always considered one of the best pure swings in baseball. Left handers always have prettier swings then right handers except Manny. He had little loop with a powerful swing. His pitch recognition was incredible. Manny was one of the best hitters of all time and for anyone to dispute that is just being a douche. You dont like his ego. Fine. No problem, but lets not dismiss his incredible hitting ability.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean a man with a OPS of .996 of his carrer and a an OPS+ of 154 and people really are acting like he wasnt a great hitter> Also, a .400 plus OBP. NA, he couldnt teahc the kids anything.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, Manny carried one hell of a bat. He may be able to help the kids.
But after reading about the new FOs', inches thick manual, about doing things the "Cub Way". Does this not feel like desperation?
Again, Manny raked !

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, Manny carried one hell of a bat. He may be able to help the kids.
But after reading about the new FOs', inches thick manual, about doing things the "Cub Way". Does this not feel like desperation?
Again, Manny raked !

Desperation for what? II feel like fans are making way more of a deal then it really is. Manny will not play for the Cubs MLB team and he isnt the primary hitting coach or mentor? If he can help, he will. If he cant, he wont be here next year. Manny has enough money. I doublt Theo is jst doing a friend a favor. I rather a hall of fame type player help with hitting over a guy that hit .220 in his career. Im looking at you Rob Deer

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sad that this is 6 pages in, and it has gone from a minor league assistant hitting coach being hired, to Manny Ramirez was a lackluster douch who quit on his team. NOW SHOW ME THE STATZ AND STUFFZ!!!

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Desperation for what? II feel like fans are making way more of a deal then it really is. Manny will not play for the Cubs MLB team and he isnt the primary hitting coach or mentor? If he can help, he will. If he cant, he wont be here next year. Manny has enough money. I doublt Theo is jst doing a friend a favor. I rather a hall of fame type player help with hitting over a guy that hit .220 in his career. Im looking at you Rob Deer

How do you know Manny has enough money? It's like the character question.

Manny also is a PLAYER/coach, semantics aside.
Are the Cubs the new halfway house for players trying to redeem themselves.
Getting back to my original statement, it seems odd the FO is depending on a questionable player, after telling Cub fandom the system is in place.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I am through conversing with you on this topic.

you haven't really conversed at all other than generic insults and posting other's analysis to somehow verify your claim as a professional hitting coach. i have asked a simple request multiple times to provide your own analysis and you have repeated refused. enough said.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
you haven't really conversed at all other than generic insults and posting other's analysis to somehow verify your claim as a professional hitting coach. i have asked a simple request multiple times to provide your own analysis and you have repeated refused. enough said.

Insults? Lol. Like I said. I am done conversing with you on this subject.