We need a tech forum

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It’s kind of shocking that code gurus here wouldn’t recognize that it is a code, not an end user, question. Also not surprising that the insecure salesman would show up to shit on the skillset that makes his job possible
For real.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I understand regular users are stuck with all kinds of solutions that make nerds cringe. And being someone that uses a lot of edge case solutions for myself, I do understand the need. On the other hand, when it comes to developing for heavily flawed platforms, that's like saying: you personally like adult companionship, but still need to recruit alter boys for the Catholic church due to a small demand.
People will scrutinize your objective in a thread that starts off saying we need a tech area. Thus why tech people are like... do not want a tech section if the purpose was to discuss Internet Explorer. Like saying we should build a swimming pool, but stock it with eels for the small group of people who eat eels.

Time is valuable, I would rather spend time developing long term solutions, not shrink the room by adding a new coat of paint to the walls every week to cover up all the lead and asbestos. No analogy hat trick necessary.

All that being said... How would you get around this? You need to use the IE equivalent for each function or create a compatibility set to pull from that uses the script as is, but you are now defining what it means exactly. Something like the object, name, if IE string, then var set, then what you want it to do.

And yes, you do that for each error, add it to whatever file you are pulling from or keep it dynamic in each page. I think it's easier to just keep it all together so you can pull from it as you please. Also, if you want to cheat, there has to be a resource where someone has already done the conversions for each undefined function.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Or tech people could always get over themselves?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
this thread really has everything. Not only am I getting admonished for having conditional logic for ie 11 because it’s part of my fucking job, but also getting fingers wagged in my face for asking a code question. And there is the cocksucking draft dodging traveling salesman in it to boot

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
this thread really has everything. Not only am I getting admonished for having conditional logic for ie 11 because it’s part of my fucking job, but also getting fingers wagged in my face for asking a code question. And there is the cocksucking draft dodging traveling salesman in it to boot
Also I've heard rummors that I am your favorite poster. Care to confirm?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Also, if you want to cheat, there has to be a resource where someone has already done the conversions for each undefined function.
That's why I was wondering if a transpiler would do the trick. E.g. write it in ES6, run it through Babel, and hope that function mapping is there for IE 11.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That's why I was wondering if a transpiler would do the trick. E.g. write it in ES6, run it through Babel, and hope that function mapping is there for IE 11.

That's a logical starting point. Try and see.

If that gives you more errors, don't give up, just read the output.

If output is clean but the application fails, you may just need to do one at a time by hand. It's NOT that much work if you only have 4 or 5 to break down. This way you can control everything, not introduce problems. Nice part about converting yourself, you control params.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
We coulda had Mahomes!

thread complete

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah i have core.js and react-babel polyfill already for ie shit. This one still fails after transpile/build

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah i have core.js and react-babel polyfill already for ie shit. This one still fails after transpile/build
I'm assuming this is the kind of response you were talking about earlier?

A couple comments with functions that land on readAsArrayBuffer()

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lol yep. Those solutions (readAsText and reasAsBinaryString) both fail. Tried the uint8array method and it produces an empty array. It’s a weird one

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's the story of my life. I know hundreds of brilliant technologist that don't make dick. So sad for them that they thought their technical competency actually mattered or was valued.

You can all be replaced by H1-Bs

1 am on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Trolling a dead Chicago sports message board. Such a typical millionaire thing to do!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
CC: @Broc

He might have some ideas

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It’s just odd that so many so answers call for readasarraybuffer but then ie 11 be like
nope

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Omfg it may have been a typo. Will find out tomorrow when i have access to a vm again lol